Ideas for a Les Paul copy model to hack to pieces.

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
edited December 2013 in Making & Modding

I've been gassing for a Randy Rhoads 74/75 custom clone that I want (To try) to make.......

Originally I thought about getting another neck or fretboard for my Maison Les Paul but it's too far gone with a bad neck break and when it went, partly because it broke at random whilst still safely in the stand, I kind of beat it up slightly, so it's not worth the effort to refinish again.  It was meant to be though as that was twenty five years ago and I needed to move on and get a decent guitar.

So I need to have something with (Or add) back binding and also want something (Or stick a piece on) a volute like the 75 (Previously I was ignorant to the fact 70's three piece necked Les Pauls had these, apologies).  Also need block inlays, I don't fancy inlay work and fancy refretting it and redoing the fretboard binding with nibs.   (I reckon I could just about flush the fret ends with a thin cutting disc on my grinder and finish with a file.  I don't mind getting the router and my DIY table out either or making an overhead jig and levelling up for adding the back body binding in layers, that is if a bevelled non bound guitar back would have enough meat to accept it..

Also want to spray it in aged cream Nitro and stick it in the freezer to crack the finish, so whatever I get I will be refinishing it I guess.

So given all this, I don't want to lash out loads of cash for something instantly playable, as it's a waste.

But I would like an ebony board also.

So I guess my options are:

Custom Epiphone - Korean or Chinese, but they don't have the volute, don't mind the scarf joint though.

A really, really nice Greco RR-55 or 65 on the bay at the moment, but it has a poly finish and is more cash, no can't mess with it.

Tanglewood Les Paul 58 LPC1 but I think the horn is slightly off

A Chinese fake Les Paul, maybe speced unpainted with a volute - same price as a used epiphone but who knows.

Wait for a nice Matsumoku Aria Pro II Custom to come along, which is spot on to the '70's Gibson sandwich construction although, like the Greco, that will also cost and again I feel like I will be violating it of I were to mess with it, as it's something in it's own right, I just don't know if I could even bring myself to do a paint job on that.

A Les Paul DIY 'Kit' - Any good ones about? All seem fairly shonky.

Anything would do really, so long as the body is mahogany and it has custom block inlays and a set neck.  Any ideas for what to look out for ?  I'm not really up to speed with all the modern Les Paul copies.

I'm really tempted to spec out an unpainted RR '75 copy from Chinaland given the money, don't mind a maple neck, although I would like a solid maple cap on the body, rather than basswood or something odd that they use.

I do a bit of guitar building and bodgery, but it stops at making strat or bolt on bodies, no way I'm getting into making a Les Paul contour. Wonder what advice anyone can other?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I had a build your own LP kit. You're right to avoid them. As for the Epiphones, remember that even the Customs are mahogany only. No maple involved, so if that's important to you, better cross them off the list.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

With even some of the non-Japanese Tokai's having ply bodies and the Chinese one being of all woods.

I like maple as it's stronger.  But I am actually leaning towards the epiphone customs, at least the bodies and necks are mahogany and they have the back binding in place.  Chinese ones are too much of a crapshoot.  I would like a stronger neck, but the epiphones have all passed quality control and are the right shape at least.  The scarf neck joints don't bother me, nor solid mahogany necks actually.  Yeah, maybe I should go epiphone.and refinish it.  Only things that worries me is by sanding the neck to add a home made volute piece (Yeah this is madness) I will weaken it even more.

There are loads of Epiphones about though, just waiting for one to come along that is beat up enough.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Sounds like your best bet if you're OK with not having the maple. Sounds like an interesting project, keep us updated!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2013
    Ah....just discovered Epi's are in fact made with a multitude of pieces of...???....with a mahogany veneer and an alder or basswood or anything cap.  I didn't count on that, I thought they were supposed to be solid mahogany.  May as well get a Chinese one if that is all they are, except that the quality will be better, or at least more consistant on an epi.  Really fancied a body that was made of something other than blockboard.
  • Here's my recent Epiphone Les Paul with the seams marked:

The back has a veneer to make it look a one-piece back. Some models, like this 1960 Tribute do have a proper thick maple cap (again with a veneer on top of that).

4 pieces and a veneer isn't bad actually, is the wood mahogany like?  I've been considering fixing my Maison with a new board, as it has a mahogany neck and a solid maple cap, albeit 4 pieces, but the body is alder and another 4 pieces at that. 

No not bad at all 4 pieces of mahogany like stuff, so long as it is mahogany like I guess.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited December 2013
    You could always keep your eyes peeled for a white one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-EPIPHONE-JAPAN-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-Model-LPC-80-LONG-NECK-TENON-Black-Duncan-/281230421125?pt=Guitar&hash=item417aa3ac85

The LPC90 has an ebony board, BUT only came in Ebony, not Alpine White.  The LPC80 does come in white, but only a rosewood board.  :)

As they are the Japanese ones, they have the proper headstock shape, and are mahogany.  I have a LPC90 and it's a heavy beast, and bloody well made.  The Jap Epis are a different kettle of fish.  IF it said 'Orville' or 'Epiphone by Gibson' it'd be a lot more expensive - people just have an irrational dislike for the name.
    edited December 2013

Sounds like the Greco RR-55 is around the same price point then...... :(

As are the Aria's as are the Orville's, I guess you get what you pay for.