Your 'most underrated' band(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Oh and a friend of mine was remisincing over Dodgy the other day! Excellent Brit Pop
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I quite like a band called Love from the 60s, I'm not sure though if they were well known or not, or whether they were given their due credit or not at the time or since because I wasn't born until 1987 :) but generally very neat song writing, Little Red Book especially could have been written this decade. Good band.

Probably better known now than they were then.  Their third album Forever Changes is one of those records which wasn't particularly successful at the time, but is now regarded as a classic.  So much so that I did a blind buy.... and it does nothing for me at all, I'm afraid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited May 2016
    I quite like a band called Love from the 60s, I'm not sure though if they were well known or not, or whether they were given their due credit or not at the time or since because I wasn't born until 1987 :) but generally very neat song writing, Little Red Book especially could have been written this decade. Good band.

I remember Love. That band came up with the classic lyric "Oh, the snot has caked against my pants. It has turned into crystal".

It's not a competition.
    edited May 2016
    That's the one :) it's one of those stage ones where I've no concept of how popular they were at the time or since, they popped up on an old streaming service once (This House is not a Motel) and I liked them so I went with it.

It's a bit like when my dad, a huge Beatles fan, will make references to whatever song being a single from whatever year and expecting me to know, I have no idea which were or were not singles as I've just listened to albums
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Terrorvision - They were a really great live act and had some excellent catchy rock songs. Their album How To Make Friends & Influence People is a favourite of mine from around that time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490
    Terrorvision - They were a really great live act and had some excellent catchy rock songs. Their album How To Make Friends & Influence People is a favourite of mine from around that time.

Yes! Excellent fun live. Good call!

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Fretwired said:
    Camel
    But Camel were big in the 1970s and they still fill concert halls.

Except that most people have never heard of them. True, they can fill a concert hall with ageing diehard Camel fans but ask anyone in the pub if they've ever heard of Camel and 49/50 haven't and perhaps 1/50 will suggest Peter Frampton's outfit.  There's some nice Camel stuff on our pub's jukebox. I'm sure I'm the only one that plays it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Another one on the Kings X pile.

Cardiacs
    Dax Riggs / Acid Bath
    Dead Can Dance
    The Gathering
    Toxik
    Solitude Aeturnus

All magnificent.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Anthrax when John Bush was fronting them (Joey Belladonna is gash)
    Utter nonsense!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490
    Marillion - The Steve Hogarth years. Not to detract from what they did with Fish, but it is a crying shame that for so many people the band ended when he left. Sure, they have released a lot of albums and can be a bit too meandering and maudlin at times, but when they get it right they are great.

• funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Nickelback... brilliant rock band if you get past their radio friendly stuff. they get alot of hatred, but some of their stuff properly rocks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2016
    @thecolourbox Lovecwere big on the LA scene in the mid 60s. They were Elektra Records' big act until the Doors hit even bigger.

Group tensions led to a split they never really recovered from post Forever Changes.

Arthur Lee drifted in and out of obscurity and prison for much of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Late 90s on was rediscovered in a big way. Toured Forever Changes. I saw him playing it with a four piece younger band in N London in about 2003. Superb.

Was working on new stuff then died of leukemia. Shame.

My fave 'underrated' muso is Stephen Duffy of 'Tintin' fame. Less famous for solo stuff and the Lilac Tine sadly. He ay bad fer a Villa fan.

Edit. Let me also add the late and very, very great Jackie Leven.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Long time ago but... The Heart Throbs. Shoulda, coulda..

• The Wildhearts
    Gibson les paul standard, les Paul signature T, Balaguer '"GAB scumden guitar"' Fender strats, black US blue Japanese , Marshall JVM 205c (Dan gower modded) some pedals (some modded) Yamaha THR10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Skarloey said:
    @thecolourbox Lovecwere big on the LA scene in the mid 60s. They were Elektra Records' big act until the Doors hit even bigger.

Group tensions led to a split they never really recovered from post Forever Changes.

Arthur Lee drifted in and out of obscurity and prison for much of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Late 90s on was rediscovered in a big way. Toured Forever Changes. I saw him playing it with a four piece younger band in N London in about 2003. Superb.

Was working on new stuff then died of leukemia. Shame.

The Love single '7 and 7 is ' was a minor hit but covered by the Ramones, Alice Cooper ( probably my favourite Cooper track, although I say that as not particularly a fan)and Rush. I'm guessing possibly the only song covered both by the Ramones and Rush! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Doesn't Hendrix's version of Hey Joe use the lyrics from Love?
    edited May 2016
    Maybe they aren't underrated then, and do in fact get the recignition I think they deserve :)

I'm not very good at knowing non-mainstream stuff.

Can I offer the Flamin' Groovies, the Rats and erm...Screaming Lord Sutch?
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Love were brilliant - 'Alone again, or' was covered by the Damned I think at one point

@Reverend I think Love covered it too, but it wasn't there song

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    @JookyChap

Not their song but I remember hearing a story about Arthur Lee telling someone the wrong lyrics and it was that version that Hendrix covered. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Wishbone Ash.