SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - THD BiValve 30 amplifier head - £550

goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
edited May 2017 in Amps £
More clearing out, now time to whittle the amp collection down...

This is a THD BiValve 30, the bigger brother to the more common UniValve. THD didn't seem to make these for very long - my guess is that they specced so much good stuff that they didn't make much money on each one sold. It has an FX loop, transformer-isolated Line out, built-in THD HotPlate attenuator, Hi/Lo voltage switch, and can use almost any preamp and (octal) power valve in any combination. 2/4/8/16-ohm outputs.

It's almost impossible to describe the tonal range, but I'll try. Plug into the low-gain input and you are using just one preamp valve and if you keep to a 12AY7 (etc) and run into bigger octal valves (say 6L6s), it's very clean, sort of 'spanky'. Use the higher gain input and now you can use two ECC83s and run into EL34s in the power stage for way more gain. We're not into djent metal, but just about any popular classic rock. And there are tweedy tones in-between with other combinations.

You are totally free to mix and match the valves, as the photo above shows. There's no biasing to do, just use an oven glove for when you're valve-swapping. The only thing to bear in mind that if you use 6V6 power valves, you must use the Low Voltage switch (you can use this with bigger valves, too, if you want to brown out the sound some more).

There's the original Guitarist review here: http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/guitarist_bivalve.pdf

And here's a link to THD's sound clips: http://www.thdelectronics.com/Bivalve_rave_popup.html

Price £550 with a brand new set of JJ ECC83s and 6L6s

Collect from North Cambridge, or apprix £11 shipping to mainland UK

This is a USA-sourced amp, and I will include a stepdown transformer for use on UK mains (200VA means that it runs nice and cool).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Only tried the Univalve but that was bloody good.

GLWTS.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I may be persuaded to rustle up a suitable set of lovely old Mullards/Brimars/etc. (Price to be negotiated, if so).
    bump
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Had a univalve which I stupidly sold. If this is anything near as good it's a killer!
    It is, so you can redeem your prior daftness by buying the UniValve's bigger brother and we'll not mention it again! :D
  • suhrtonesuhrtone Frets: 67
    would u trade for a komplere kontrol s61 keyboard? i dont need tubes for it
    cheers
    Hmmm... looks a lot clevered for DAWing than I need and it doesn't make a sound. I'd prefer a standalone synth. Thanks for the offer anyway.
    Bumping for lower price and more trade options.
    Final price-lowering bump
    edited March 2017
    Bump for trade offers. If you have any of the below to trade (with cash either way), I'm all ears:
    * Eventide H9 Max
    * dual humbucker, solid body double-cut guitar (no trem, tallish frets, full working order)
    Bump: straight sale (no trades) at £550 including new JJ valves.
    edited May 2017