Who's tried Linear Array speakers for FOH

RolandRoland Frets: 8741
My bass player wants to try some linear array speakers instead of our Mackie SRM450s and sub. He's not keen on the Bose, but fancies LD (which I've never seen). 

Has anyone here used them? I know they can work in low volume situations, such as sound reinforcement for a jazz band. What about a covers band?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28572
    edited May 2016
    I used a lot when I was designing installed sound systems. Where you have long rooms needing even coverage they can work very nicely, but in general they need subs for music. Mine were mostly for voice and presentation audio. I liked the Tannoy ones (VLX and Q-Flex) but they're definitely an installation product, not very mobile.

They're not a universal panacea; the main advantage is the long throw and wide dispersion, not much energy up into the roof.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Do you mean a line array, such as

or Column speaker systems, that are sometimes (somewhat incongruously) called linear arrays such as:
    ?

Big difference, and my advice would vary hugely dependant on which one!
    Some column speakers do exhibit line source behaviour (at useful frequencies) which makes it more complex still.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Column with sub
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Sporky said:
    Some column speakers do exhibit line source behaviour (at useful frequencies) which makes it more complex still.
    Depends on your definition of useful mate! It's perhaps fair to say that some columns will exhibit limited pattern control at some frequencies - but they lack the length to produce that down to a sensible frequency for live music, and often don't give the same drop over distance as 'true' line array..

In terms of the column over sub systems - in my experience, they're a high price for limited results (certainly the bose one). They generally are completely ineffective without subs, and often you need multiple subs as they're working so hard to fill in the low mids they don't have a huge amount of sub extension.
    I don't really like them much for full band work - they're not bad for solo/duo/tracks etc.
    The coverage patterns on them are generally less than ideal - the Bose L1 for instance is 180Hx40V - this means that unless it's a reasonable way in front of the band, the front line mics are in the coverage pattern, and you have potential phase issues as L&R stacks coverage will summate.
    The 40V also means you need to be relatively careful - if you put that up on a stage, those sitting on chairs on the floor may well be out of the pattern.
    Mackie 450 is 90Hx45V for reference. Still not a lot in the V, but a more sensible response in the H.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6508
    My question would be : WHY does your bandmate want to swap out from what you are currently using?

What is it that they don't like about your current set-up? If it is just cos he is chasing the latest trendy bit of kit or because he doesn't want to lug the same heavy equipment around, I would say that those things come way behind in priotities behind the most important thing: The sound.

Will a column set-up give you better/ clearer sound? Better coverage? If not....why bother?

bob21 said:
    Sporky said:
    Depends on your definition of useful mate! It's perhaps fair to say that some columns will exhibit limited pattern control at some frequencies - but they lack the length to produce that down to a sensible frequency for live music, and often don't give the same drop over distance as 'true' line array..

Indeed - but there's a fair variety in column speakers. Those little Boses vs a VLS30, for example - the latter goes down to 120 Hz at -3dB so with an appropriate sub you can get good music reproduction. Vertical dispersion is around 15 degrees nominal (varies with frequency of course) so you do get long throw out of them too.

For live music though you're right; I'm not sure any of the column format speakers are going to deal with a typical rock gig. For more gentle styles at more moderate volume levels, though, you can get good vocal reproduction out of some of them. Not the Bose - I certainly agree there. I've used one once and it was appalling.
    @sporky
    Absolutely with you in terms of decent column for things like church installs etc (and I have done before) - but for a band in a pub, I think a decent trap box on a stick is very hard to beat! 
    (as an aside, for your curiosity, if you've not seen it, check out the new Martin OmniLine - interesting cross between column-style and 'traditional' line array. not heard it yet, but looks interesting for church/lecture theatre type stuff!)
    I've used OmniLine a couple of times - spendy but very good indeed.

Nexo are worth a look too - actually a slightly fuller sound than OmniLine and more affordable.