An interesting documentary on Brook acoustic guitars....

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
edited May 2016 in Acoustics tFB Trader
My father in law owns a brook torridge acoustic and consequently he put me onto this documentary.... If I played acoustic enough I would love one of these guitars, his torridge is a work of art. Hopefully you acoustic aficionados will enjoy this.....
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Interesting.  They are only about 15 miles from where I grew up.

They are great guitars.  I did have a Teign for a couple of years but I didn't get on with the shallow neck and really flat fingerboard.  If I had the money I'd love to get them to build me one with a neck I like, with a radius on the fingerboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

Very interesting watch, thanks for posting that.

I have never tried a Brook guitar, but I do own a guitar made by Andy Manson who was featured in that program. A fantastic instrument, It was new when I bought it, I've had it for about 20 years now.

If he taught those guys at Brook to make guitars half as good as his own then thay will be amazing guitars.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I enjoyed watching that, how old is it? The video quality made it seem pretty old!
    I love that there are people out there doing things like making guitars just because they love it - such a contrast to the business-led world that most of us work in. Sad (although probably not uncommon) that they have to pay themselves less than they pay their staff though.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    I enjoyed watching that, how old is it? The video quality made it seem pretty old!
    I love that there are people out there doing things like making guitars just because they love it - such a contrast to the business-led world that most of us work in. Sad (although probably not uncommon) that they have to pay themselves less than they pay their staff though.
    It is quite old - I'd guess it may be from around 2003.  Their prices now are a lot higher than they were back then so they may be making a slightly more comfortable living these days.

People who do this definitely do it for the love of it.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    Brook Guitars aren't cheap, they start from £2.25k but in comparison to other guitars I think they provide Collings, SCGC, H&D etc quality at a lot less and are just as good IMO. 

The guys at Brook are great chaps, and I can't recommend their guitars enough if you are looking to buy an acoustic in the £2k price range. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    They make great coffee too :)
    Brook Guitars aren't cheap, they start from £2.25k but in comparison to other guitars I think they provide Collings, SCGC, H&D etc quality at a lot less and are just as good IMO. 

The guys at Brook are great chaps, and I can't recommend their guitars enough if you are looking to buy an acoustic in the £2k price range. 
    Back when that was made they may have only been around £1375 starting price if I remember correctly.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Back when that was made they may have only been around £1375 starting price if I remember correctly.
    The torridge, I've played was beyond stunning, great guitar, fantastic value and although I'm not an acoustic player, i found it to be extremely pleasurable to play.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Greetings, Sorry Im a bit late to the party on this one, but here is my Brook. It's a Tavy in local yew and walnut with (I think) a German spruce top. The neck is a walnut/cherry laminate and a fingerboard of a dense tropical wood called anjan. The headstock inlay is a marquetry scene I made and sent down to them to incorporate on the guitar. Its of a beach on Skye where my Dad's ashes were scattered. photo guit5_zpsykryjsv7.jpg photo guit4_zpslivpn1ra.jpg photo guit3_zpshn9zxjqe.jpg photo giuit1_zpsqzdc9res.jpg photo P2110006_zpsgrnrwzs0.jpg Cheers, Adam
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Greetings, Sorry Im a bit late to the party on this one, but here is my Brook. It's a Tavy in local yew and walnut with (I think) a German spruce top. The neck is a walnut/cherry laminate and a fingerboard of a dense tropical wood called anjan. The headstock inlay is a marquetry scene I made and sent down to them to incorporate on the guitar. Its of a beach on Skye where my Dad's ashes were scattered. photo guit5_zpsykryjsv7.jpg photo guit4_zpslivpn1ra.jpg photo guit3_zpshn9zxjqe.jpg photo giuit1_zpsqzdc9res.jpg photo P2110006_zpsgrnrwzs0.jpg Cheers, Adam
    thats genuinely lovely, really nice memorial to your dad
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom