Composition Challenge #13 - Voting

What's Hot
Hi Everyone,

This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #13.
-------------------------------------------------------

Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

The winner will be announced just before midnight on the 31st May, voting will close at 11.30pm on that day.

(you can edit your vote up to the time voting closes)

A reminder of the competition Guidlines:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been asked to make a song exactly 2 and a half minutes long for the opening credits of a biographical film called:

David Cameron - Pigs or Parliament? My ultimate sacrifice

Make it happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see all the entries uploaded on SoundCloud below.

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh man these have me in tears so funny :-)
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2016
    Jesus H Christ ... @steamabacus .. friggin' genius .. ;-)

Some great tracks this month .. I really liked @kin ... and @stratman3142 and @Gingerbbm .. great work guys ... great creative use of pig noises.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Excellent stuff , giggling like fuck through some of it, seriously good work all of you.
    @kin .. you have an excellent singing voice ..

Thank you @Fretwired, that genuinely means a lot to me. Can't believe how consistently good the entries are for this, but I reckon this month is the best I've heard yet.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    I've just had my first listen through to the tracks  - genuinely good all rouund. I'm really not looking forward to having to pick three from four.

Well done everyone.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
    Yes it's going to be a difficult vote. I like them all. Great wit and imagination by everyone.
    It's not a competition.
  • gingerbbmgingerbbm Frets: 33
    Just had my first listen on the morning commute, sniggering like a madman on the train. I am in awe.
    Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 747
    Ok, I'll go first:

1st @stratman3142

2nd @steamabacus

3rd @Gingerbbm

But overall brilliant and quite funny entries.

I didn't enter this time as I lacked the time and also because not being British I was not completely comfortable with the theme although I am aware of the "incident" that inspired it. Congrats everyone.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    edited May 2016
    The votes are in .. the standard was high and the decision hard but ...

5 little squealing piggies go to @steamabacus .. very Pythonesque I thought

3 little squealing piggies go to @Gingerbbm .. that menacing vocal and piggy squeals ..... brilliant

1 little squealing piggies go to @stratman3142 .. great guitar and burping pigs

Speacial mention for @kin .. great track and I liked the vocal .. just thought the others met the brief better.

My votes

5 points: @steamabacus - clever and polished (I keep saying that about your stuff). This one stood out to me.

Now it's very, very difficult to choose, but I'll go for
    3 points: @gingerbbm. Dark and menacing
    1 point: @Fretwired. Clever editing of the voices and tuneful ideas

@kin: Sorry to miss you out. It's probably my favourite as a piece of music, but it didn't fit so well with the brief.

It's not a competition.
    Right, I can't procrastinate any longer. Time to make a choice - and it's a tough one.

Firstly, @kin - I'm going to have to award you the wooden spoon, not for any lack of quality but because (by your own admission) it has less to do with the initial brief. I really like the track, though - great vocal and an intense (I may have said this before?) Bristol trip-hop vibe (to my ears).

3rd place (un point) - @Fretwired 'Pig-headed Cameron'.  That Andrew Marr intro is brilliant! Especially as I had to sit through the interminable first 'Brexit' interview with Cameron on the Marr Show in search of the odd 'in', 'out' and other sundry asides from Cameron. I like the laid-back vibe of the tune too - tinged with regret.

2nd place (trois point) - @stratman3142 'Pigs or Parliament'.  Very inventive with the snort rhythm and bell chime melody on that backing track. Great guitar playing too, the style was reminding me of something I couldn't quite put my finger on - somewhere between Floyd and Big Country?

1st place (cinq points) - @gingerbbm 'A Part Of You I Long To Be'. 
    Woah - dark! Not the soundtrack to a light-hearted film, obviously! Powerful vocal delivery (continuing the Floyd references, something of the Roger Waters angry (not-so-)young man intensity) and a well constructed arrangement. Good mix and playing throughout. The initial 'Order!' section with the noisy guitar in the background is quite chilling. Very effective.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my entry. It turned out somewhat different to how I first imagined it - if I get time I might write up the creative process (as a reminder to myself as much as anything).

@Fretwired - 'Pythonesque', very much a compliment to an old Python fan. As I think I mentioned when the challenge was announced, my initial thought was 'Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band'. The Bonzo's guitarist was, of course, Neil Innes who was almost an 'honourary Python' and their go-to musical collaborator.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    5 @kin -- I thought the song stood up and I like your voice
    3 @Stratman3142 -- made me smile with the bell/pig cut
    1 @Fretwired -- that intro is good!

Nice work all around!
    Right, so judging this was hard: lots of things to commend each entry.

5 POINTS @stratman3142 Kept the theme throughout, funny, great playing (how do you get that lead tone?)

3 POINTS @fretwired Virtuoso editing at the start, lovely chord progression

1 POINTS @steamabacus Hilarious earworm melody, nice choice of samples

Really glad I got involved in this. Interesting exercise to have parameters and a deadline put on one's creativity, and is a kick up the arse for learning the software.

Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
  • Old Is Gold
    gingerbbm said:
    Right, so judging this was hard: lots of things to commend each entry.

5 POINTS @stratman3142 Kept the theme throughout, funny, great playing (how do you get that lead tone?)

3 POINTS @fretwired Virtuoso editing at the start, lovely chord progression

1 POINTS @steamabacus Hilarious earworm melody, nice choice of samples

Really glad I got involved in this. Interesting exercise to have parameters and a deadline put on one's creativity, and is a kick up the arse for learning the software.

Thanks for the vote. The lead tone is my HSS Strat through a slightly tweaked version of the S-Gear 2 preset number 052 called Liontone. Mainly I just added a bit of a longer delay.

It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    5 points @steamabacusclearly an intro to a comedy film. The musical quote from "Je t'aime ... moi non plus" was brilliant.
    3 points @stratman3142 -  Very well constructed.
    1 point @Fretwired - great cut-up intro, then a really nice piece of music.

@kin and @gingerbbm both excellent as well. Congrats all round.
    HSS Strat through a slightly tweaked version of the S-Gear 2 preset number 052 called Liontone
    Thanks! Been wanting to find some good soft amps for recording quickly... will check it out.
    5 points @steamabacus
    3 points @stratman3142
    1 point @gingerbbm

Thanks for the kind comments for my piece , I didn't expect any points at all because it had nothing to do with the brief.
    I'm amazed every month by how pro sounding the rest of the entries are.
    @kin Do you have a SoundCloud page or something with any of your tunes?

Cheers for the votes, peeps.