Pre gig gremlins

What's Hot
sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
edited May 2016 in Live
Anyone else suffer?

The past 4 or 5 gigs I've had gremlins. The rig works beautiful at rehearsals and at home, but in that final check before packing up for a gig things just stop.
Power supply failing
Imtermitent faults with patch cables.
Intonation on a guitar just stop existing.
Unexplinble oscillation that vibrates the whole street when you step on the delay.

Last night the m5 just flat out died (line 6 products dying? Shocking I know). I had nothing to replace it so just had to get dynamics and stuff from volume knob and actually playing the guitar... A strange concept . ..

Anyone have visits from these bastards?
It's ALWAYS just before you load into the van and don't have time to properly rectify the issue
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Power supply failing - that sucks... and who really carries a spare of everything, such as a spare power supply....!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Power supply failing - that sucks... and who really carries a spare of everything, such as a spare power supply....!
    ...me.

Seriously, I have a spare of everything small - cables (patch and signal), power supplies, strings, valves etc. They never saved me (my gear always worked), but I remember three separate occasions where I've saved someone else - one was our bass player, twice were other bands - by replacing their fancy-pants broken power supply with a single-ended Mooer one and a daisy chain.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Thats the fun of playing live making do and bodging the equipment that works when you get to the gig  :P
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ...me.

Seriously, I have a spare of everything small - cables (patch and signal), power supplies, strings, valves etc. They never saved me (my gear always worked), but I remember three separate occasions where I've saved someone else - one was our bass player, twice were other bands - by replacing their fancy-pants broken power supply with a single-ended Mooer one and a daisy chain.

I've got most backups for most bits, but am faaaar away from a full on backup board!

I decided that it must be gremlins after loading the van, and going to make a cup of tea before we left and the bastard kettle broke!

I can gig with the minimum, guitar > amp... deprive me tea and you'll find me in the fetal position in the corner of a room crying on a pile tea bags.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I carry a small pedalboard with a power supply and a EHX magnum44, the only thing I don't have as backup is a speaker, how's that for tempting fate :)
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

I've had FX power supply death, FX battery connector death, acoustic guitar pickup death, PA power amp death, PA power amp near-death, PA speaker death, battery problems, cable problems, tuner set to A=442Hz or something, forgotten mics, forgotten mic stands, van trouble, punctures, and a case of food poisoning. The show must go on!

Spare everything and a cable tester go a long way to restoring sanity!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    thomasross20;1081303" said:
    I have two small one spot type spare supplies with daisy chain cables just in case.

I'd probably get everything but the Flight Time powerd up.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I carry spare a power supply, plus everything else except a guitar.
    I pretty much have a B-rig with me as well as batteries, leads mics and other sundries for everyone else in the band.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Generally not too bad, but was dancing around so much on our 2nd to last song on Saturday that two of the daisy chain plugs came out of different pedals. Had to play the last song straight through the amp. Looked a bit of a bellend actually :)
  • sgosden;1082711" said:
    I decided that it must be gremlins after loading the van, and going to make a cup of tea before we left and the bastard kettle broke!
    Sounds like your jinxed.
    Just dont have a pre-gig wank or you might snap your cock off.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    I also carry a spare power supply.... ha!
  • Power supply failing - that sucks... and who really carries a spare of everything, such as a spare power supply....!
    I also carry a spare power supply.... ha!

I carry a spare PSU, spare cables (loads of 'em), spare guitar, spare guitar amp, spare mixer... plus spare hi-hat clutch and drum sticks (just in case the drummer forgets!).

Think I might be in need of some therapy!

Woah. Maybe I need to up my game. I've stopped bringing a second guitar. If a string snaps, the band can play a few without me.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    On my first guitar gig in 22 years, a patch cable on my pedalboard failed as we were sound checking. I had a spare, but it took some frantic unplugging and replugging to find it. Naturally, it was the final one!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Anybody who is not a count.
    Woah. Maybe I need to up my game. I've stopped bringing a second guitar. If a string snaps, the band can play a few without me.
    @thomasross20 , maybe you should just bin off the banding?
    Is that Japanese for "stop playing in bands" lol? 

I do take a spare lead, should start taking some patch cables, an adapter reel, strings, and up until now, a spare guitar.... but that's a real pain. 

Could be, or maybe your lucky will hold out indefinitely.

I do take a spare lead...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590

I do take a spare lead, should start taking some patch cables, an adapter reel, strings, and up until now, a spare guitar.... but that's a real pain. 
    I don't take a spare guitar for pub gigs either. If it's a big gig and a slick show I will, but I can't be arsed for some pissed-up girls. As long as the singer and the drums keep going they're happy enough tbh.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I take two guitars but I need them both
    A Floyd equipped one for the stunt guitar and a fixed bridge
    I run in stereo so I pretty much have two of everything and I take a spare pedal board just in case
    Pre gig Gremlins can be to do with dodgy pub power a lot of the time
    There is a place in Kilmarnock that is virtually haunted
    I have amps that exhibit behaviour I can't even replicate