Orange owners - OR15 opinions?

What's Hot
BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
Hi there.

I'm currently waiting for JetCity UK store as I decided to give 50H a go, and will do that, but looks like that won't happen over next couple of months (and I'm still without an amp). Was going to buy some cheap, bedroom thing in the meantime, but then I started looking at one amp I've never tried before, and that is OR15. I've checked the demos, looked through some forums, but since I like The Fretboard lately I thought I'll ask here :)

So...

I never really played, owned or been around Orange amps. I had borrowed TinyTerror loong time ago, but was into cleans or tight gain back then so two things that TT doesn't do. Didn't play it a lot and used my other amps mostly.
Now I play everything from clean(ish) to high gain, but good, slightly driven blues tone and heavy rock is what I want the most and apparently Orange amps can deliver that. OR15 sounds allright on videos, but of course I don't really justify amps by youtube. Beeing busy at work (+xmas) I have no chance to drive to any better local shops until 2nd week in Jan, so I thought I ask about Your opinions :)
Any owners, opinions, haters perhaps?

Cheers. And merry Xmas.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's an interesting amp - not tons of headroom and won't have any real tightness to the gain. It does, to me, sound like the jet city is right up your street...

Have you looked into the orange crush pro series? It has gain. Similar to the of a rockerverb, which can be fairly tight and also cover hard rock, as well as good cleans. It is solid state - and I've never tried one, but demos are promising.

The main thing with the or15 is its just single channel. If you were going single channel, the Jim root terror cleans up well when riding the volume knob and has one of the best gain tones I've heard (again, rockerverb style preamp). But other than that, the or15 does sound good. It's just a niche appeal.

If you found a used rocker 30 combo, you have what I reckon might be one of orange's best amps ever. Discontinued, sadly.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    It's an interesting amp - not tons of headroom and won't have any real tightness to the gain. It does, to me, sound like the jet city is right up your street...

Have you looked into the orange crush pro series? It has gain. Similar to the of a rockerverb, which can be fairly tight and also cover hard rock, as well as good cleans. It is solid state - and I've never tried one, but demos are promising.

The main thing with the or15 is its just single channel. If you were going single channel, the Jim root terror cleans up well when riding the volume knob and has one of the best gain tones I've heard (again, rockerverb style preamp). But other than that, the or15 does sound good. It's just a niche appeal.

If you found a used rocker 30 combo, you have what I reckon might be one of orange's best amps ever. Discontinued, sadly.
    The Rocker 30 is the best amp ever…period! I love orange amps…the Rockerverb 100 is one of the nicest amps i've played through and my dream is to one day being able to justify buying an old OR120…but current production models apart from the really expensive ones aren't really that good - in my opinion anyway. 

as far as the OR15…not sure if you and i are into the same music, but, i tried one recently, 2 things i will share; for one is a single channel and although the gain sounds ok, the clean has very little headroom; secondly, i found that i had to turn the treble all the way down till i got the kind sound i wanted, which is ok, because i got the tone, but it gave me nowhere else to go.

finally…after looking at the OR15 and the TH30, i settled for a Jet City 50h…for about a third of the price (second hand) and i couldn't be happier with the decision. So…i would recommend either keeping an eye out for a second hand one, or just get one from thomann…or wait till Jet City UK get their new stock in Feb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for replies guys, got me thinking now... Maybe indeed it's just worth waiting forJC store to stock the amp I'm after.
    Thomann in fact haven't got those either currently (50H). Unfortunate.