How is this guy only two years older than me...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited December 2013 in Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSmWuEp1CQ

Seriously, he apparently started at around the same age as me (12-ish), he's 20 now and he plays like he's been doing it all his life. His tone, his vibrato, his phrasing, his improvisational skills, not to mention his fucking insane technique. If this makes sense, when you watch him play you can sort of tell he really knows what he's doing. He's an absolutely incredible guitarist...

This is his band, in which he writes most or all (can't remember) of the music, I believe he also programmed the drums and did most of the backing keyboard/synth parts. This track includes some really cool guitar parts... particularly love the bit at 2:30-ish... and the solo at 5:55:

Then there's this clinic/video thing he did, in which he sort of breaks down how he wrote and recorded various bits of the album. The bit at 1:10 sounds, genuinely, almost exactly like something I'd expect to hear from Eric Johnson. It's stunning.

Later on he also goes into the drum programming, the keyboard sounds and the bass part (he's a pretty bloody good bass player too). He also breaks down the part I mentioned in the song above.

This is him playing along to a cheesy 80s-sounding backing track... at the age of fifteen. Come on, that's just rubbing it in...

Just... how...

Anyway, just thought I'd share this guy's playing with you, I can never quite get over how good he is when I watch him...
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Yeah, I liked his playing a lot. One to keep an eye out for me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I enjoyed the Disperse track. 

The dude has some skills. I'm well over a decade older than him and I'm rubbish!
  • Great talent there, enjoyed listening to that, especially vids 1 & 4.

^:)^
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • No faulting his technique, but at times I thought backing track and what he was playing were two entirely different songs ?

is it me?

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Talented indeed.
    Just got round to watching the videos.
    Thanks for posting Bucket.

• Bet he hasnt got a girlfriend though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2014

No faulting his technique, but at times I thought backing track and what he was playing were two entirely different songs ?

is it me?

Nope, I totally agree.  There's a lot of disjointed licks as opposed to a theme developing.

Bucket if you are at ICMP then that is the kind of level you will, should or need to be at or exceed in 2 years time.  At least that's how it used to be in the olden days, unless they've gone soft your asses.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2014
    Yeah he's good but don't worry about how good you are in comparison because it doesn't matter one bit.  If you want to make a mark playing music you write then it only matters that you have the technical ability to perform what your creativity leads you to play.  If you can't imagine the melody lines he's creating having the ability to play them doesn't matter because otherwise all you'll be doing is copying.  

I did enjoy his playing though thanks for posting the videos.  I should also say I've enjoyed your playing when you've posted clips!
  • Watched some of the first video. Incredible technique (and some fab "Gary Moore" gurning!), flawless execution....but godawful guitar sound. I don't know how you'd describe that guitar sound, but it just sounds meh to me, and makes his great, expressive playing sound processed and artificial. IMO.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    That is NOT how an electric guitar should sound to me.  Impressive yes.  But ......  No balls, not my bag at all.  If I'd heard that as the benchmark of electric guitar playing, I probably wouldn't have started in the first place.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Now for some real talent that inspired me to pick the thing up.

:P

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Effective. Practice. Routine.
  • Just wait until they are younger than you.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I point the finger directly at Jakub's parents.  Imagine allowing your child to spend all his adolescent growing years faffing about learning to play a guitar.  About as 'normal' an upbringing as Tiger Woods got.  No wonder he has no girlfriend.  He might have no friends or real friends for that matter.  Probably has the communication skills of a ViseGrip.  Perhaps he thinks he is the next Joe Bonowhateverhisnameis.  Someone ought to tell him that he is not too old to start living his life.  By all means play his music for an hour or so each day but to learn/keep a sense of perspective.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Pffft...Eric Clapton had joined and left the yardbirds by then.