Tc Electronic Wiretap Riff Recorder

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
New TC Electronic Pedal. It is some sort of recording device.

8 hour recording time at that resolution would amount to about 4gb of storage which seems like they have cheaper out a bit, but I can see how it could be useful.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/wiretap-riff-recorder/

My first thought is that it would be infinitely better if they just had an SD card slot on the side.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    That's solving a problem no one really has..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Yeah it reminded me of that cable that Gibson came out with that recorded ideas? Daft.

I guess with the TC app it makes it a lot more user friendly and applicable as a songwriting tool - still its hard to believe the hype on this one!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16311
    Aren't you just recording what you sound like without an amp? Hours of plink plink plink. I feel there are already better ways to record yourself.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
    I'll stick with hitting record on my phone.    I'd have thought the looper type pedals would offer similar and more useful features if you want a pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    @EricTheWeary my thoughts exactly
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    exactly. just recording on your phone works fine.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    No effects? Ridiculous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think you can put it after your pedals aswell, but there isn't any amp. If this was a lot smaller and ran on batteries I could see a use case.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Didn't Line 6 do this with the Backtrack? Actually the Backtrack was even better 'cos it recorded everything automatically and if you just played something you liked (rare in my case) you pressed a button to save it to a file.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I'd be far more interested in the opposite of this pedal....you record a riff and it erases it from your memory to stop you playing the same 'ole shit.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    what does it do about cabinet simulation? I mean any riff you playback on the phone is going to sound dogshit without it.

Also I'll stick with just recording stuff on my iPad mic. The ipads microphone is pretty decent and I've set it up so everything I record on it automatically uploads to dropbox too.

JezWynd said:
    Didn't Line 6 do this with the Backtrack? Actually the Backtrack was even better 'cos it recorded everything automatically and if you just played something you liked (rare in my case) you pressed a button to save it to a file.

I have a backtrack. I never used the auto record function but its internal microhpone was great. I used to record rehersals with an absurdly loud hardcore band and it never distorted.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4212
    edited May 2016
    Not sure why you lot are expecting this to be an all-singing, all-dancing recorder? 

It's essentially a Ditto with permanent loop storage - pretty simple stuff, but I can see this being useful. I don't want to record everything in case a moment of inspiration hits (YMMV). This approach makes more sense to me, you leave the unit on your board until one occurs, hit record, and play the riff again. Simples.

This beats recording on a phone for me because you get to fool around with your signal path instantly (depending where it's placed) and try a couple of things out differently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Actually I think that is pretty cool and is something I have often wanted in the practice room - a quick way to record riffs from the jams we do, as a dry DI signal and then re-amp it later on, or get the tempo of it easier than you can with a fully distorted and rectified amp signal, without needing to fuck about bringing a laptop.

Now, if it had a memory buffer that always recorded the last 10minutes say, and you could hit the switch to capture the last block, that'd be pretty epic. You're jamming away and you do something amazing off the cuff... quickly stomp and capture it and re-learn it later on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Actually you could even use it for reamping by just putting your DI tracks on it via your phone, and putting it through your amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Great idea re the memory buffer @Drew_fx.

I also think this could be a useful tool.

I basically just use my Ditto as a notepad to record riffs & solos. This makes more sense, with the storage capability. It needs a screen though.

I guess I could leave a small tablet or phone permanently on my board, running the app..

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3847
    John_P said:
    I'll stick with hitting record on my phone.    I'd have thought the looper type pedals would offer similar and more useful features if you want a pedal. 
    Exactly what I thought. No need for another pedal for this. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9962
    I've eradicated the use case for this by basically never having any good ideas
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    JezWynd said:
    ^  yeah

It seems very much like the Line 6 BackTrack device.   I have two of them;  I'm selling one btw.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw