SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NOW GONE 1970 Fender Jazzmaster

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7178
edited June 2018 in Guitars £
So thinking about moving on my 1970 Jazzmaster. Its a players guitar and was recently setup by my mate Tim of Mansons guitars. He shimmed the neck with a piece of hardwood and gave the frets a dress as part of the setup. So now it rings out beautifully. Currently fitted with 11s and has an old Mustang bridge.

Pickups are Mojo grey bobbins I believe and the bar is a Staytrem one that stays put. 

Pots and wiring are all original, the Rhythm circuit has a lower output compared to the main controls.

Tort pickguard has shrunken a little in the 48 years and pickup covers and switch tip have aged nicely to match.

Was re-fretted many years ago before I owned it with larger frets and was refinished in a white plastic like finish. I stripped the whole guitar last summer and refinished it in nitro. See some pictures here: Refin

When I stripped the headstock I found that it has a Stratocaster logo instead of a Jazzmaster one... So I left it as its an anomaly.

Very '60s feel to the neck, as in a bit of meat to it.

Of course, you may or may not like my 'rustic' refinish, however its really thin and would come off easily if you choose to remove it.

The guitar is really very light, will try and weigh it later. But first thing Tim at Mansons mentioned when he set it up was how light it is.

£2200  ono inc a non-Fender very solid hard case

Based in Exeter and so collection only, as I am not going to ship it. 

Please don't ask me to ship it, as I will only say the same thing, would rather whoever wants it plays it first. 

4reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    *lust*

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1740
    Did you do the refin ur self then?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7178
    edited June 2016
    Did you do the refin ur self then?
    Yes I did the refinish.

Also another link to when I discovered the Strat logo here over at offsetguitars.com : Link  

The general consensus over there was that the date stamp read 13 NOV 70 B. Which means 1970 November, the 13 is a parts code for a Strat neck and not the day it was finished.  However the 13 code was used back in the mid '60s from 66 onwards. So the neck could be a lot older and just stamped when it was finished. Fender CBS did some weird stuff with old parts and I am not an expert. 

B is the for the neck width at the nut which is 1 and 5/8". 

Any questions feel free to ask.

Forgot to add I have a hard case for the guitar as well, though just some generic black non Fender thing.

edited June 2016
    Finally found some time to take some decent pics. The nitro has sunk into the wood and there are some little play marks from me using it.

Hardware is all aged naturally from 46 years of use and so has that whole vintage vibe. The finish is as close as I could get to an aged nitro Lake Placid Blue with aged lacquer as I could get. Should obviously age more over tome as well.

The original CBS finish of course would have been a Poly one, just I didn't fancy that and went for the light weight nitro option instead.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    Awesome . . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• PC1971PC1971 Frets: 373
    Beautiful. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I had a spare 2K. ;-)
    Weekend nudge for this very cool Jazzmaster.
    Offers invited. etc
    Bump for the end of the week.
    Bump
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    What a stunning looking guitar - GLWTS  
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited July 2016
    Gorgeous. Btw, I read your offset guitar thread. You may know this already but to get the whole bound neck, block inlay thing, people used to buy old coronados and pinch the neck off those for their strat. However, they DID do them to custom order for strats for a time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Those pesky neck swappers with their '70s flares, glam makeup and cheap acid!
  • stonevibe said:
    Those pesky neck swappers with their '70s flares, glam makeup and cheap acid!
    I know! reckless vandals...
    Necro listing...

Have finally decided I will now sell my old Jazzmaster, as downsizing my studio. Therefore will be selling this and a few guitars to make some space.

Trade offers invited, although cash is king, as I'm supposed to be making space...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

Thought I was done with the whole birth year Guitar thing. And then I see this...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    That is a real beaut.

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
    that's a lovely guitar...!!
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    edited May 2018
    It's an odd Jazzmaster as had a thick almost plastic refinish on when I got it. It looked an off white and was so thick and glooped on that it killed the sustain. I've been contemplating having it refinished professionally for about a year or so. Just not sure I want the cost, when chances are I tend to play a Tele or Strat most days and I want to downsize my studio/instrument hoard this summer, as have shed loads of kit I can move on to free up some space/funds. 

Then, of course, there is the Stratocaster logo, which was covered over by the dodgy white refinish.

The neck is nice and has had a refret at some point as they are bigger than late 60s / early 70s ones. I like the frets as they are similar to my purple  J Mascis Jazzmaster and so it plays ball with bends etc

Pickups are Mojo repros that were in it when I got it, though electrics are all the originals.

Pretty sure I got this from @andrewaward ;;; via Ebay a good few years ago

Just checked radius for someone and it is around 9.5/10 although Mustang bridge is 7.25, so usual mismatch Jazzmaster shenanigans on this one