Jamie vardy coming to Arsenal... Thoughts?

What's Hot
MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
Has gone from rumours to serious talks, and he is supposedly making his decision before flying off tommorow morning for the euros (11:30am).

Thoughts?
I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Bit of a step down for him...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    always hard to comment on transfers, as you get pro arsenal saying it will be amazing, and oppositions saying bad move

As an opposing fan (as non bias as poss), honestly not a good move. I think a lot of his success was down to the way the team played, and i'm not sure any of other clubs know how to replicate that.  Arsenal should be looking at youth, or superstars.  Not 29yr olds who have only had one good season really
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Be a classic case of does not gel with team, benched 1st half the season loaned out the 2nd half.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    From my outside - very much outside! - perspective, it seems odd that anyone would want to leave a club which has just won the Premier League and will be playing in the Champions League next season, even though they're unlikely to match last season's achievements.  It also seems like a bit of a slap in the face to teammates, the manager and the club's fans.

But that's modern football, we've seen it so many times.  And there is the argument that it's a short career, you should seize every opportunity because you're a long time retired, etc, etc...

From Arsenal's point of view, is he the 25 goals a season man the fans always say they need?  Maybe, based on last season, but it doesn't necessarily translate to another club and a different group of players.  It seems like a short-term option, not very Wenger-like at all.

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    See I agree and stuff, then I look at giroud and Walcott and think nothing can be much worse than they have been recently.

We need an out and out goal scorer so I'm happy.
    Do I think it is great for arsenal, hell yes.

Do I think it is best for Jamie, ehhhhhhhh. It could be, it could be great, but it also has a possibility of being utter bollocks.

Certainly riskier than staying at Leicester imo.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Finally a fox in the box?
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 473
    Genuinely don't get it. This is the sort of stuff that the Wenger Out brigade will use to fuel the fire. Wenger has year after year banged on about the lack of value in modern day football, and now he's prepared to sign a 29 year old with little/no resale value for over £20 million.

Given that most teams continue to sit deep against Arsenal, I can't see Vardy scoring 24 goals again, even with Ozil feeding him the ball. I don't think he'd be an unmitigated disaster for them, but they're surely better off looking elsewhere. Why not spend that bit extra for Lukaku?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If I were him I wouldn't touch Arsenal with a bargepole.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    It's got Franny Jeffers written all over it. I hope I'm wrong though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    Its a weird one. 

For me the biggest argument against it is that I don't see how he fits into that team. 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Playing at Arsenal and Leicester pose different challenges-every mid-table and lower team that go to Arsenal will be treating it like a cup final, lots of players will be made up to just be there, particularly just promoted teams.

Teams sit back, fans will get on your back fairly quickly if the team isn't playing well, more games will be televised, day to day you'll be under more pressure from fans and media etc.

Not to say he wouldn't take all that in his stride but it is a risk. I can totally understand him taking the move if it's offered, and not just for the extra cash he'd pocket-players generally want to play at the highest level and moving to Arsenal is a big step up, regardless of whether he's just won the league with Leicester.

As a Liverpool fan we've been half arsedly linked in this transfer too and I have to say, I'm glad he's not coming to Anfield, he's quick and can finish but he's 29 and his goal scoring record isn't great at the top level despite this season inflating his numbers.

Wiz for @jpttaylor suggesting Lukaku, he's proven in the prem-score 20 goals every season I believe, and is a more versatile player in terms of technique than Vardy is IMO.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9720

He'll be joining on oneof the biggest clubs in England, and one of the most famous in the world imho...

I predicted a Leicester relegation within two years .... sadly, it's how it all works.

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Just read that arsenal may be looking at making a move for Mahrez as well. Now that would be interesting. Shame for leicester though, won it on their own back, then getting raped and pillaged at the end of the season to then just fizzle out again. 
    Mkjackary said:
    Just read that arsenal may be looking at making a move for Mahrez as well. Now that would be interesting. Shame for leicester though, won it on their own back, then getting raped and pillaged at the end of the season to then just fizzle out again. 
    That's pro-sport. But it's not all doom and gloom-look at how spurs have managed to slowly claw their way up and I reckon this summer they won't be too concerned about losing their top players to United or abroad, they've lost out on Modric, Bale and Berbatov over the years.

Mahrez would be fantastic at Arsenal.

I feel for Southampton fans, Pochettino gone, now Koeman gone manager wise...They've lost a shit load of players over the years too-the first lot to leave their youth system being Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Who?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    I think he will go, and I don't think you could really criticise him for it, he is in the final third of his career, and this is a big chance, big money big club etc etc.

But.....

I was listening this morning to some blurt on the radio (a reporter on 5) saying that Leicester definitely would not sustain this success: says who? There is this assumption that they will not be able to maintain high league position form. Well, just maybe they will eh? Success breeds success, and money, and infrastructure. Maybe, just maybe, the powers that be at Leicester have a solid development plan that could see them fighting for champion's league places , if not he title for the next few years.

THere is this widely held (in the pundits press etc) belief that last season was a one off, and they will sink down the league now. Mayb ethey will, but I don't think its a certainty.

The footy romantic in me hopes he stays put and they build on the massive spirit in the club.

But I think he'll go.

Likely he won't get regular first team footy and that will jeopardise his form and his international career.

So many English/British players have made big moves to "big" clubs and floundered. Phil Jones, Damian Duff, maybe even Raheem Sterling, for example.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    It's got Franny Jeffers written all over it. I hope I'm wrong though.
    He signs, fails to score more than a goal every dozen or so games, ends the season on the bench, sold off in Jan 2018 transfer window at a huge loss.

So, for a Spurs fan, good news if it happens!
    I actually think that he'll want to stay, if what they've all said in the press can be believed-that they're like brothers, spend time with each other out of the training ground and whatnot.

That kind of behaviour is very rare in footballers at the top level these days and I imagine it would be hard to leave that kind of set up if you were playing in a successful team.

I think that they'll all be chatting about the offers they've got and it will come down to how much they trust each other (If they're saying they're staying) I think that if one or two go, then you could see 5 or 6 following suit.

I can see Marhez leaving over the British lads but ifgf he goes do the others start looking to leave? 

• FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 501
    I think it's a done deal, although the Mahrez thing is a lot more speculative. And as an Arsenal fan I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand, having a bloke who keeps banging goals in is just what we need. On the other hand, Vardy isn't very Arsenal. For a start, he's a diver and I don't like that. 

To me it smacks of Sir Alex paying what was considered over the odds for Robin Van Persie. He helped them win the league and Fergusson bowed out on a high. So I reckon this will be Wenger's last season at the helm.
    I think it's a done deal, although the Mahrez thing is a lot more speculative. And as an Arsenal fan I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand, having a bloke who keeps banging goals in is just what we need. On the other hand, Vardy isn't very Arsenal. For a start, he's a diver and I don't like that. 

To me it smacks of Sir Alex paying what was considered over the odds for Robin Van Persie. He helped them win the league and Fergusson bowed out on a high. So I reckon this will be Wenger's last season at the helm.
    He's banged them in in one season only at a decent level to be fair though....I'm not sure who else you'd go for but for me it's a strange one, although if you'd have spent money on a goalscorer last season, you  could well have won the league.

And diving is something that every team does unfortunately, not sure that Arsenal are particularly noted for not being a diving team?