Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you owned your dream guitar from when you was a growing up.

What's Hot

Comments

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Since starting to play about 25 years ago two of my main guitar heroes were Peter Buck and Johnny Marr - both Rickenbacker players. Splashed out and got myself a 330 a few years ago and haven't really bonded with it. Sounds much better when Marr & Buck play it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Yes, well kind of.

The poster on my bedroom wall was a Gibson SG. I do own the SG, just not the exact model on my old poster!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Yeah, a couple. First was a 70s Ibanez Artist which I got cheap and foolishly sold on a few years later. I've regretted it every day since.
    The other is my Ric 4001. Again, bought ridiculously cheap, but will have to be prised from my cold, dead hands!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Mine was actually similar to @Octatonic's - I love Dean MLs to this day. My first guitar was a Dean Baby ML, which I still have and has been refinished into an EVH-style stripe job.

I've always wanted a black Les Paul Custom too, but I think maybe I like the idea more than the guitar itself.

I did always want a Flying V though, and...

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I wanted a gold top Les Paul since I was 14 in 1978, I finally bought one at the end of 2012 and haven't really bothered playing anything else since.

I should have done it decades ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Cherry Red SG and no I have never found one that is the one. I always end up with strats. I.d love one of the Dan Erlwine Lazer guitars that Johnny Winter used.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    I ended up with the two "dream guitars" from being a young un.

Ibanez DY Jem (needed a refret, but got Chandlers to do it and Brinsey (sp?) turned it into a monster. Older PAF Pros are godlike...

The other was a stroke of luck, ended up buying the Ibanez Universe swirl I used to drool over - literally the same one, turns out the bloke I got it from bought it at the same time I used to visit it when it was hanging on the wall.

He was just looking after it for 20 years.

Both are amazing, and silly.

Super super lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I fell in love with guitars when I saw an Epiphone Sheraton in natural in an advert in Guitarist in the very early 90's. I've only just bought one a month ago. Love it, it's a good guitar.

I still want/need a LP Custom in alpine white. I blame Bradfield.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Bucket said:
    Mine was actually similar to @Octatonic's - I love Dean MLs to this day. My first guitar was a Dean Baby ML, which I still have and has been refinished into an EVH-style stripe job.

I've always wanted a black Les Paul Custom too, but I think maybe I like the idea more than the guitar itself.

I did always want a Flying V though, and...

I was just making a joke. :)
    I'd love to have a Dean, but the only person who could pull that off mid-40's would be Dime himself, not that he'll have the chance.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I ended up with the two "dream guitars" from being a young un.

Ibanez DY Jem (needed a refret, but got Chandlers to do it and Brinsey (sp?) turned it into a monster. Older PAF Pros are godlike...

The other was a stroke of luck, ended up buying the Ibanez Universe swirl I used to drool over - literally the same one, turns out the bloke I got it from bought it at the same time I used to visit it when it was hanging on the wall.

He was just looking after it for 20 years.

Both are amazing, and silly.

Super super lucky.
    pretty much the same story here ! Guy next door had a floral Jem - I got one a few years ago when one turned up in World Guitars. Before that a guy at work sold me a Universe Swirl for a daft price. It was the same one I'd played about 20 years earlier that he'd bought to a jam night I used to go to in my teens. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    hessodreamy;1107679" said:
    Since starting to play about 25 years ago two of my main guitar heroes were Peter Buck and Johnny Marr - both Rickenbacker players. Splashed out and got myself a 330 a few years ago and haven't really bonded with it. Sounds much better when Marr & Buck play it!
    More than any other guitar I think a Ric benefits from time and getting used to it.. They are different and can feel weird - I say play nothing but the 330 for a couple of weeks and watch how it suddenly makes sense..
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    ESP KH-2 is my dream guitar, closest I've got so far is an LTD KH-602, in fact I've got 2 of them. I hope one day I will acquire the real thing... 8->
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Ish... There were two guitars that i have had a hankering for for nigh on 25 years... One a Fender Jaguar which i was fascinated with ever since i saw the video for Fait Accompli (Curve) back in the 90s... I now have a Jaguar which is pretty much every thing i hoped it would be...

The second might take a while to procure... A sunburst Gibson 335... maybe next year eh ;)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I always had a hankering for white late 80s spec Strat with a Maple neck. Never nothered buying one as I bought a RW 62 RI instead and one Strat's enough for me.

Always fancied a Steve Clarke (Def Leppard) spec black LPC with three HBs and a Kahler. That's unlikely to ever happen now s my tastes have changed.

Fancied a Jackson Soloist as well. I finally scratched the 'pointy guitar with Floyd' itch when I bought a cheap Jackson.

So I'm sort-of true to what I wanted way back.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Yes and no.

The two guitars (well 3 really) I've lusted after since my youth where all nirvana guitars. The jag, the mustang and the jagstang.

I bought the artist jag when it came out and kept it for 5 years but my ocd about intonation got the better of me and I sold it. I also bought the KC mustang they did and loved it also. Sadly had to sell to fund life chores like a new car for work.

I saved up hard when I was young and bought the jagstang. I played it and played it despite the neck being a tad too slim. Sadly lost it when my and an ex split up. I'd love to get another but I'm saving for a more practical everyday guitar first. But one day I want another
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    edited June 2016
    Yes times three

My number one dream guitar was always a Les Paul.  The memory of going to Guitar Village and buying my first real Gibson Les Paul standard still ranks as one of the happiest days of my life.

For some inexplicable reason, I was also mad about Washburn EC29s - which was odd becuase I don't like floyds.  Of course as a kid in a backwater town in the middle of nowhere in the late 80s they were made of pure unobtanium and so I pretty much forgot about them for 20 years or so.  Then I saw one on eBay a few years ago and it jogged all the memories.  I now have 3 29s and an EC36.  Luckily they turned out to be stupendously good guitars.

Finally, a guitar I never thought I would buy - a black les Paul custom.  Always loved them but never thought I would be able to justify spending that much money on a guitar.  Apparently I can, as I now own a black '57 custom reissue.  It is utterly wonderful in every way.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Yep, Washburn N4. The one I've got is almost unique, too, and it's now one of the few that's signed by Nuno and the rest of the band.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • step_hentstep_hent Frets: 34
    Mine was a 54 Strat in two tone burst, like Buddy Holly's. No way I could afford a real 54 Strat, but I do have a 60th anniversary 54 reissue and it's a belting guitar. Needs playing in a bit, but it's what I hoped it would be and it's probably the closest I'll ever get.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2016
    I still have my 73 Fender Strat from when I was... 17 !  I so wanted to look cool at school and an AVON SG copy wasn't going to do it in front of the ladies...

I was always asking for more and assumed it was the amp that wasn't up to muster... now in my dotage I realise that not every guitar can do every guitar and my Strat does 70s Doobie Bros a right dream; it does that Rickenbacker 12 string sound perfecto; SRV a treat but it won't do Kenny Wayne Shepherd without the power of my Fender Supersonic 60 wacked up with a transparent drive in front...

http://i59.tinypic.com/fwffp.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I still have my 73 Fender Strat from when I was... 17 !  I so wanted to look cool at school and an AVON SG copy wasn't going to do it in front of the ladies...

I was always asking for more and assumed it was the amp that wasn't up to muster... now in my dotage I realise that not every guitar can do every guitar and my Strat does 70s Doobie Bros a right dream; it does that Rickenbacker 12 string sound perfecto; SRV a treat but it won't do Kenny Wayne Shepherd without the power of my Fender Supersonic 60 wacked up with a transparent drive in front...

http://i59.tinypic.com/fwffp.jpg
    Love that guitar every time you post it.

It looks superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom