Sweeping pentatonics

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
in Technique tFB Trader
Currently working through the true fire Dweezology course.

He demonstrates that when he needs to play fast pentatonics he does alternating 3nps and sweeps.

So for example in A minor.
5 8 10 on the E string then sweep down through 7 on the A string to 5 on the D then 7 10

It's a really interesting idea but it's going to take a lot of work before I can use it. Was wondering if anyone on here uses the technique regularly?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sounds like a version of what frank gambale used to call economy picking where he keep the picking direction match the way he's moving across the strings and makes a lot of sense.
    I'm not disclosed in my playing to do it like I should lis I'd find sweeping with two feet jumps harder than one fret for some reason so I'd tend to include elements of that with fuller scales rather than pentatonics but it does sound a good way to be more flowing.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I try and do that sometimes but I usually play two on the first and then hammer on the 2nd note on the last string to slide up to the third and back again. Then shift position and try to make each one sound slightly different.

Then I usually try to do the same with a harmonic minor scale.

I emphasise my use of the word "try" across all of that.
  • I do it a lot. It's a really efficient way of playing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Yes, it is a common sweeping approach but I don't believe it is the best way to start with sweeping.

Try this:

------------------8 12--
    --------------10---------
    ------------9-------------
    --------10---------------
    -7 12-------------------
    -------------------------

This is a A minor 7th arpeggio.
    Very useful shape that is moveable and alterable- from this shape you will eventually be able to play all 7th arpeggios fairly quickly, you just alter one note at a time. 
    First raise the 3rd for dom 7th, then raise the 7th for major 7- more types after you have them.

If you struggle with playing the 7-12 on the 5th string then just start it on the 12th fret (A) and add the 7th fret start note in later.
  • The thing with sweeping is that it's kind of a lifestyle choice! To sweep pick pentatonics takes a lot of inventiveness to come up with clever ways to finger them. But once you've put the practice in its oh so worth it. Effortless speed.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Yeah, always used the 3nps thing. Learned it back in the 80s as a response to neo-classical without doing the stereotypical sweep.