Does this seem weird to anyone else?

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
The intro and verse of this song:

Obviously a four chord trick, but it seems to go IV-I-V-vi instead of starting on I... which means the bass seems to come in in a weird place, as do the drums, and the whole thing seems to have this slightly tripped-up, irregular feel to it unless you're paying special attention to where the chord progression actually begins. The chorus is a much more normal progression starting on I, but those verses just seem weird.

Is it just me?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited June 2016
    Well no it's not just you, because it's a cleverly done little trick to make you think the cycle is, as you say, IV-I-V-vi, whereas of course (in the chorus) it's one beat notched along, in other words I-V-vi-IV, same as Since You been Gone, With or Without You, and a million other songs. Nice!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    That's one of the best things about music.  Several people can take the same part or parts and put a different spin on it to make it sound brand new.  Sometimes figuring these things out takes away a little of the magic while it opens your mind to new ideas.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• MrStoobMrStoob Frets: 1
    I do like this example of I V vi IV madness: