Ouput Volume has dropped massively - HELP!!!

meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
edited December 2013 in Amps
Hello all,

I just had a play on my amp (Fender the Twin) and the volume has literally gone. After some investigation all the tubes are fine and seated correctly but I noticed that if I moved the effects loop level switch the volume comes back significantly but not in its entirety, I have to catch the slider switch in a between setting. The amp is now loud for a small room on volume setting 7. If this amp was working correctly and I was sat in front of it, volume setting 7 would land me somewhere in Eastern Europe.

I haven't resorted to the technicians touch with a hammer yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jack
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• On a second visit I have noticed a blue hue to my 4 large tubes (in my amp :-P)

I understand this to mean the tubes are degrading and will need replacing.

Would this cause a drop in volume? Can I swap them straight out without re-biasing the amp?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    No!!! Valve myth #1. Blue glow indicates the valves are in good condition and working properly.

I don't know what the problem is - these amps are complex and have several known issues - but it's not the power valves if they're all glowing blue.

Try replacing each of the preamp valves, one at a time, with a known good one. You can use a 12AX7 temporarily to test the 12AT7 positions if you don't have a 12AT7. The problem is most likely in the preamp if jiggering the FX loop level changes it, although it may not be a valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein