Anyone made a radio jingle?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
A friend has asked if I can write and record a jingle for his new company's radio ad. 
Now, let's assume I come up with something decent; is there anything to consider when recording it (at home)? 
Is there a going rate for this kind of thing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I made several "beds" a few years ago. They had to be 30 sec long exactly so you had to work out the tempo and the phrasing so that your [musical] statement fitted instead of sounding cut off at the end. I was given a set of notes (letter names, that's all) and told that this sequence had to occur somewhere in the music, but which instrument/part had them and whether they were used as the basis for a riff which repeated, or whether they were strung out and played only once was entirely up to me. The "bed" was used as the thing that someone else would talk over to promote their programme. It was for a local radio station.

I guess you don't need advice about the connotations of the style of the music fitting the image of what the advert is trying to sell: satanist/doom/thrash might not sell a WI group too well!

For fees, see the MU. there's definitely guidance for the type of task you are doing.

best of luck with it!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I recall being told by a teacher about 7 years ago rhymes with DustinCanderpoe - that he'd written a couple of radio jingles using band in a box and a realy good midi interface in about 30 minutes for four figures.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    frankus;10221" said:
    I recall being told by a teacher about 7 years ago rhymes with DustinCanderpoe - that he'd written a couple of radio jingles using band in a box and a realy good midi interface in about 30 minutes for four figures.
    trying to think of the name of the (fictional) book about the chap who wrote jingles as the plot revolved around him working 30 minutes to write one and then pretending to work the rest of the time.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary;10306" said:
    [quote="frankus;10221"]I recall being told by a teacher about 7 years ago rhymes with DustinCanderpoe - that he'd written a couple of radio jingles using band in a box and a realy good midi interface in about 30 minutes for four figures.
    trying to think of the name of the (fictional) book about the chap who wrote jingles as the plot revolved around him working 30 minutes to write one and then pretending to work the rest of the time.

[/quote]

the best a man can get by John O'Farrell.
    won't learn much about music from it though.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Wow! I don't expect to make four figures from it!
    It's a local company advertising on local radio, but I guess if I was to charge by the hour then it would soon add up, huh? Writing, recording, mixing, having the equipment in the first place... If I could get £200 for 30 secs worth of nonsense I'd be well happy!

I'm not sure yet if it's a 30 sec jingle he wants, or if it's a bed (as Phil_aka_Pip mentioned) with a voiceover with a quick jingle at the end.

It's for a blinds company!
    DiscoStu;10535" said:

It's for a blinds company!
    Stevie Wonder cover version then.

I'll get me coat.