Yamaha APX soundhole pickup options

DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
thinking of removing all the internal gubbins from my APX 9C [piezo strip and internal condenser microphone] and installing a sound hole pickup. any suggestions for something that will work with its odd shaped oval sound hole? many thanks for any advice/suggestions
David
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    If you have a blend system that's working I'd stick with it.  In my experience blenders sound better than soundhole pickups.  The best acoustic pickup I've come across was actually a soundhole with a mic blend, but I'd prefer a piezo/mic blend to a sound hole on it's own.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I think it should be possible to disconnect the piezo and connect the magnetic pickup there, so you still have the blend system.

I would have to measure the soundhole to know what pickups fit, but I would have thought most of the usual brands will, the soundhole isn't unusually small if I remember rightly - although it does have that very thick plastic trim piece on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Try fitting a sticky piezo under the top first. Best position half way between the centre of the sound hole and the bridge and central between the guitar centreline and the upper edge. I have done this replacement on a couple of guitars now and it works very well.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    thank you all for your comments and suggestions ...