Budget bass best buys?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
This coming year I have a hankering to take a first proper foray in to the low end of things. This is lovely because it means I can satiate my GASyness on something inexpensive and learn about a whole new area of gear :-D My usual M.O. is to buy used (simply for the general assumption of getting more for your money and I've never been bothered about pristine/new gear. So - what kinds of things are well made/play well/sound good? I'll set an initial budget of about 200 but will listen to advice re what's worth considering beyond that... Thanks in advance Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Classic Vibe Jazz Bass if you want something classic

Yamaha RBX if you want something modern.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Cheers. Just reading the adjacent thread that talks about Squiers, VMs, CVs etc - good stuff. What about OLP ? Looks like there are quality options aplenty which is great
    Red ones are better. 
  • Best budget bass ever - musicman sub (older made in USA ones).

Amazing build, and Marmite looks means they can often be had cheap. 4 string passive ones go for between 2 and 300, I was considering selling my active one for 400 but i heeded the advice of forumites that it's better than it's monetary worth, and I agree.

It's a bit Marmite looking, but the tones are great even though it's just a single pickup.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Is a Sterling Sub (slightly different model I think) for 175 a good deal?
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Not tried one of the new Sterling Subs so I can't help there.

But as much as I'm not a Fender man, the Squire CV series are simply brilliant

A review by The Bass Whisperer

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited December 2013
    The Ibanez GSR180 is also a good bass, especially if you want a slim neck.
    Edit: £150 new and good tones and versatile.

• TimmyO;118600" said:
    Is a Sterling Sub (slightly different model I think) for 175 a good deal?
    The newer range is much larger and indonesian made. Some are really good, some are budget. So you'd need a specific model number... That said, if they have a similar neck profile and a 6 bolt neck heel, it won't be terrible!

The ones I'm on about are black, white, red or blue with a textured finish on a poplar body. To confuse things even more, mine is the sterling model - which has 22 frets and a 3 band eq, as well as a slightly slimmer body.

Yup, it's like they want to confuse us!

The squiers are also good, another one I really rate is the budget Peavey range, any model. They're all good, solid basses, and a friend of mine regularly gigs one he picked up for 70 quid!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    If you want something lovely and left field the Squier Bass VI is a great piece of kit for £270!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    +1 for Squier - they are excellent value.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'm kind of obliged to say Vintage, but they genuinely are amazing basses for the money - you'd pick one up secondhand for way less than £200 as well (if you fancied giving five-string a go, I'll shortly have one coming in that'll have to go straight out of the door again to fund impending motorbike purchase :s).

Other than that, the Squiers mentioned are definitely worth a punt, and @ThePrettyDamned is spot-on with the US-made SUBs if you can stretch the budget and find one (I've never seen them go as cheap as £200, but routinely around the £300 mark - keep a weather eye on the www.basschat.co.uk marketplace) - every bit as good as a 'proper' Stingray for a third of the price IMO. 
  • I have a Squier VM fretless and tried it against a Fender Mex and USA standard fretless jazz basses… I choose the Squier as there really wasn't that much in it (and it wasn't constrained by budget either!). 

I know you aren't looking for a fretless, just thought I'd mention the VM's are worth a good look.
  • Peavey. The Grind is a cracking bass for very little money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tauzero;120026" said:
    Peavey. The Grind is a cracking bass for very little money.
    The milestone is also a very good bass for the money, too. My mates first bass, and still regularly gigged and has never missed a beat.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

I picked up an Ibanez ATK200 last year for under £200 new and was astonished with the quality of the instrument for the price. The metal bridge section is very thick and adds a lot of sustain and the CAP double humbucker pickup with the active electronics gives a superb range of sounds.
    Whoever designed the ATK200 really understands the inside of a bass-player's head..

I'm also with @IanSavage on recommending the Vintage active basses. They can be purchased very cheaply off ebay and they are superb instruments for the money. Whichever instrument you buy though, I would recommend looking for one with active electronics as this will offer you a  much broader sound palette.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Yamaha BB series. I would argue the BB414 is one of the bestest guitar/bass related bargains ever. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:

I picked up an Ibanez ATK200 last year for under £200 new and was astonished with the quality of the instrument for the price. The metal bridge section is very thick and adds a lot of sustain and the CAP double humbucker pickup with the active electronics gives a superb range of sounds.
    Whoever designed the ATK200 really understands the inside of a bass-player's head..

The ATK is ace.

Best budget stingray type IMO
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I'd rather go for a secondhand "proper" Ibanez Soundgear than the GSR, I think the GSR's are ok for what they are, but big difference between them and the real range. Ibanez don't hold their value too well, so bargains secondhand.
  • You can sometimes find bass collection basses used, they depreciate a lot, and are supposed to be really good.
  • I still gig with my squier standard p bass special. If you get one used you could probably flip it if you didn't like it too. I'd say used prices for squier cv and vm are proportionally much better than for used Mexican fenders too.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Hi Tim

Whereabouts are you ? I might be moving on a Yamaha RBN111 (think it is) with a Laney Hardcore 30B amp.
    Been sitting under a cover for 18 mths since last used so guess I should shift
    Would be collection only though. RM5.

Cheers
    Baz