Gibson Les Paul recording...

What's Hot
....is apparently being reissued in 2014. Bit of a change from the usual I suppose.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPRCNACH/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah, finally some pictures of this, I wonder what the pricing will be, does look pretty good, thanks for posting the link  :)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Looks like it's no longer available - sold out already? I like the concept but wished they'd updated it a bit with some modern tech ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72557
    Fretwired said:
    I like the concept but wished they'd updated it a bit with some modern tech ...
    I'd hoped they would find a way to do it without that horrible cheap-looking front control panel. From the pics it looks like they missed the point of the original multi-tap low impedance pickups as well, and just had them splittable.

Too close visually, not close enough functionally. Typical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Any excuse, sad really but I do like mine.

The new one looks OK but as others have said a missed opportunity. I would have liked to see Robo Tuners and other colours other than natural.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Current and Recent Guitars/LPR2_zps13eeb418.jpg

If cheap enough I may if I can get one but maybe not.
    I'm pretty sure an original wouldn't cost any more than that, although admittedly without the Bigsby. (But with the proper low-impedance functionality.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Definitely they go for about £1500 to £2000 dependent on condition and age over here and less in the US.

No decade pot either which really is a good if subtle tonal tweak.
    :(
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Not being funny or any disrespect to any owners of these guitars, but they were almost as unpopular back in the day as Jimmy Saville greetings cards are now. And therefore, I can't see these selling in any volume - so if anyone is interested in one of these, I'd hold fire for a year or so, and then watch the "Gibson Clearout" sales. 

A case in point - the L6S that Gibson reissued in that awful Silverburst... look how many of them were available in the blow out sales... and the L6S was a reasonably popular guitar in the day...

For the record, I'd love to give one a go as its a very interesting concept... but not sure I'd spend anywhere near that as an experiment.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    For sure @impmann they were an acquired taste but for me the different looks and range of tones make it my only keeper from back in the day until now.

I would never sell it ever because it plays so well and sounds great (to me anyway), but it fits me like a glove and is now like an old shoe or slipper.

It is damned heavy though so just as well I have a low centre of gravity.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @johnyurq

I thought I'd post here rather than clogging up the LP pics thread.

How heavy is your guitar? The Recording has easily the largest control cavity I've ever seen - you could store your strap & a couple of pedals in there :)

I had the Les Paul Triumph Bass version at one point which was also very heavy - odd considering they're all-mahogany (lighter than maple normally) and have that big cavity. The mahogany must just have been very dense. Those pickups are surprisingly heavy, too.

breadfan said:
    @johnyurq

How heavy is your guitar? The Recording has easily the largest control cavity I've ever seen - you could store your strap & a couple of pedals in there :)
    @breadfan

Mine is getting on for 12 Lbs.

It is a bit counter intuitive as ICBM says it shouldn't be being all mahogany. maybe it is the volute.
    ;)

Volute's may not be pretty but the one on mine has saved the day a few times back in the 80's.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Looking at the pics, "recording" seems to mean the guitar equivalent of "face for radio".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    johnnyurq said:
    It is a bit counter intuitive as ICBM says it shouldn't be being all mahogany. maybe it is the volute.
    ;)
    How big is that volute?  ;)
    dindude said:
    Looking at the pics, "recording" seems to mean the guitar equivalent of "face for radio".
    I think that's a tad harsh - I like it  :)

If you think what a normal top of the neck looks like at its highest it is about 5 mm higher than what is the norm. I realise you were joking but just in case anyone wants to see what I meant by a volute.

But it eases up to that with material on both sides gently rising up. it is handy for when playing pissed or in a very dark venue as it stops your hand slpping off and you know you are at the end of the neck.
    ;)

To be fair to dindude it is a bit of a marmite guitar for most, but I like it even though I hate marmite.

Here is a volute pic for reference.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Current and Recent Guitars/LPRVolute_zps0856caa6.jpg

The Yammie SG's and a few others at the time used volutes to try and counter the broken neck issues in some falls guitars take. Us clumsy buggers of guitarists back then as now.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    breadfan said:
    @johnyurq

That's probably why it's so heavy..!

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited January 2014
    johnnyurq said:
    it is handy for when playing pissed or in a very dark venue as it stops your hand slpping off and you know you are at the end of the neck.
    ;)
    How pissed are you when you're playing?  ;)
    johnnyurq said:
    Here is a volute pic for reference.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Current and Recent Guitars/LPRVolute_zps0856caa6.jpg

The Yammie SG's and a few others at the time used volutes to try and counter the broken neck issues in some falls guitars take. Us clumsy buggers of guitarists back then as now.
    Wow, that's a considerable difference. I'm sure it just takes a little getting used to. Not that it would bother me too much - I spend most of my time up the dusty end of the neck  B-)

In all seriousness, it's a solution for an obvious problem. I really didn't enjoy a thread I saw on here about Gibson neck breaks, something I've, touch wood, yet to experience.

Does any current model Gibson have a volute? (aside from the reissue Recording, I'm guessing)

@rpr

That is more than a wee bit ambitious and I doubt they will get even close to that.

It was the 80's so very was usually the answer. :)

Surprisingly despite it looking odd the volute took no time at all to get used to and it was worth it for for when whiskyed up fools knocking it off its stand, not me for a change though.

As far as I know Gibson dropped the volute in the 80's but Yamaha and a few others still use it on SG1000/SG2000 and the like.

The neck breaks are pot luck depending on the drop or fall, but I reckon it has saved mine on at least 2 occasions.

• New Gibson promo video...