Tweed Champ replicas/clones ?

What's Hot
matonematone Frets: 211
edited July 2016 in Amps
Often think about buying a Tweed Champ replica but wonder how good they are, as they`re
not the cheapest of things to acquire.

Any owners care to offer their thoughts ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Awesome little tone boxes. Full of soul, even at low/clean levels. I have a Fender '57 Champ. It sounds much bigger than it looks.
  • My first amp build was an ampmaker champ thing. It was easy, and it sounds great in the 1x12 cab I put it in. The smaller speakers and cabs really don't do the Champ justice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Mmm,noticed that a few makers do them with 12" speakers.Tbh already have a BJ and a DRRI,so don`t need a `bigger` sound.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Do you run them together as a dual set up @matone ?
    matone;1138228" said:
    Mmm,noticed that a few makers do them with 12" speakers.Tbh already have a BJ and a DRRI,so don`t need a `bigger` sound.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    No,tbh rarely use the DRRI at all,it`s an ornament !lol.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Get a 10" speaker at least unless you specifically like the 8" sound (its good for home and makes for a tiny combo but also also sounds smaller).
    They drive very easily in a Stonesey fashion and you can build a Weber or Ceriatone kit inexpensively, Ampmaker kits are even cheaper if you can fashion a cab.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Modulusamplification are also uk based and offer champ, deluxe and bassman kits with option to buy a cabinet i believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    A 10" speaker is possibly the worst upgrade for a Champ. It doesn't have either the fast attack of an 8" (which is a huge part of the Champ's tone) or the depth and body of a 12". A single 10"  just sits there failing to be anything other than huge waste of time for a Champ.

The answer of course is a 2x8". You get that immediate punch of a quick moving speaker, plus a massive sound spread with lots of detail including a tight bottom end. The cabinet is 19" x 13-1/2" x 8-1/2" - roughly proportioned to a High Powered Tweed Twin so it looks right and sounds big and resonant too.

I offer these with a mix of both Ceramic and Alnico speakers, to really get the best of out the amp.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    RiftAmps said:
    A 10" speaker is possibly the worst upgrade for a Champ. It doesn't have either the fast attack of an 8" (which is a huge part of the Champ's tone) or the depth and body of a 12". A single 10"  just sits there failing to be anything other than huge waste of time for a Champ.
    Although strangely, it's great in a Tweed Princeton - it must be the size of the cabinet. I had a '59 Champ and a '58 Princeton at the same time once, and the Princeton was much bigger-sounding. (Although admittedly the Princeton was stripped to the wood, which I think makes a difference too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Although strangely, it's great in a Tweed Princeton - it must be the size of the cabinet. I had a '59 Champ and a '58 Princeton at the same time once, and the Princeton was much bigger-sounding. (Although admittedly the Princeton was stripped to the wood, which I think makes a difference too.)

Agreed, those cabinets are really oversized (hence why lots of 10" upgrades). I suspect that the choke (if 5E2 or 5F2, not 5F2-A) really helps to beef up the sound compared to a 5F1.

Speaking of stripped Princetons, here's one at GV - https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/fender-princeton-stripped-natural-pre-owned-1957-vg
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

All good info and food for thought ! Thanks for the input folks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    RiftAmps said:
    I've noticed the amps you've listed on your website seem a bit short on 10" speakers (single configuration,Vibro has 2).  The Princeton's always had a single 10" as far as I know.  Any particular reason for this? 
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    I've noticed the amps you've listed on your website seem a bit short on 10" speakers (single configuration,Vibro has 2).  The Princeton's always had a single 10" as far as I know.  Any particular reason for this? 
    Yes, I think 10" speakers work best in multiples, quite simply. A 1x10" amp can be vastly improved with a 1x12" whereas upgrading a 1x8" to a 1x10" isn't always going to give you what you want, hence my 2x8" solution.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    RiftAmps said:
    Yes, I think 10" speakers work best in multiples, quite simply. A 1x10" amp can be vastly improved with a 1x12" whereas upgrading a 1x8" to a 1x10" isn't always going to give you what you want, hence my 2x8" solution.
    Ah fair dos.  I always have liked single 10" combos.  
    Did once have a Pro Junior and didn`t think much of it at all ! Would a Champ sound different to that?
    RiftAmps said:
    Agreed, those cabinets are really oversized (hence why lots of 10" upgrades). I suspect that the choke (if 5E2 or 5F2, not 5F2-A) really helps to beef up the sound compared to a 5F1.
    I can't remember if mine had a choke or not - it was a long time ago and I didn't really pay that much attention. I'm not even 100% certain it was a '58, it might have been a '57 - it was older than my '59 Champ though. I got it for £90 I think. I can't even remember when or why I sold it unfortunately :(.

The Princeton's always had a single 10" as far as I know.
    Tweed Princetons were 1x8", although a large number of them have been converted simply because there is so much room in the cabinet. Mine had been before I got it, but I didn't realise that until later - it seemed natural that it would have one because the cab is so much bigger than the Champ's.

matone said:
    Did once have a Pro Junior and didn`t think much of it at all ! Would a Champ sound different to that?
    In my opinion yes. I know a lot of people like the Pro Junior, but I don't really. Unless you're comparing it to a Blues Junior :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

There you go,I much prefer the Blues Junior lol ! Different sounds in the head ,and that sort of thing.The BJ is a Ltd Ed job with a V30 in tho`.
    If you like the BJ, you probably won't like a Tweed Champ/Princeton.

Although the only way to be sure is to try one, sometimes things work differently for different people. Totally agreed about the different sounds in the head thing :).

I find the BJ gets less likeable the louder it gets tbh.Still have an itch for a Tweed Champ or Swart type thing.

matone said:
    I find the BJ gets less likeable the louder it gets tbh.Still have an itch for a Tweed Champ or Swart type thing.

I agree about the BJ getting worse the louder it is, but I absolutely hated the Swart AST I tried if it matters! It sounded nothing like a proper Tweed amp at all, to me.