Do all acoustics action creep up over time?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, but they're nowhere near the string ball-ends
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Ever since I fitted that K&K and put new strings on, I've noticed the action feels high (as I mentioned before). Also.. the strings seem to be going out of tune a bit more. It's a little frustrating - it was never like this before. 
    is it an undersaddle pickup?
    It's not an unddersaddle.  Don't think @ToneControl understood what you meant.

There's no reason a K&K should affect action at all.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Ever since I fitted that K&K and put new strings on, I've noticed the action feels high (as I mentioned before). Also.. the strings seem to be going out of tune a bit more. It's a little frustrating - it was never like this before. 
    Are they the same gauge? If you went up one (eg 11s to 12s) the acton will be slightly higher and the strings could be binding in the nut grooves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    crunchman said:

I thought they were magnetic, checked their site, and they do one undersaddle  model

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    ICBM said:
    Are they the same gauge? If you went up one (eg 11s to 12s) the acton will be slightly higher and the strings could be binding in the nut grooves.
    and unlikely - but check if the saddle came out and went back in the other way round by mistake
    I did that once
    crunchman said:

I thought they were magnetic, checked their site, and they do one undersaddle  model
    These ones are the triple contact sensors that glue onto the inside of the bridgeplate.

The only reasons the action could have gone up when fitting one is if either the new strings are heavier than the old ones, or some dirt or something has got lodged under the bridge saddle, or - just possible, but unlikely - the truss rod has somehow moved and stuck when the string tension was off… but although that can happen, I've never known it do anything other than *lower* the action by causing an unwanted back-bow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2016
    Oh sorry, I thought that was the same as undersaddle!
    I went from gauge 12 to gauge 11... but I've been playing gauge 11 for over a year on it now.. 

I'll defo get you to check it out @ICBM, just whenever you're free. I'm in Dunoon for 4 nights from Wednesday.

I'm in Dunoon for 4 nights from Wednesday.
    Take some midge repellent :).

That's what everybody is telling me - so my girlfriend has got some :)
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    yes, this makes sense, it's  Martin with solid spruce top and it is thin, as expected on a high quality instrument, and it's on the wall, it's for playing and is my grab and go noodler (so is my R8 Les Paul and AV 52 Tele). I can't be arsed keep putting guitars in/out of case.
    Not 100% but I'm sure I read that Martin recommends that you do not hang the guitar from a wall that is also external facing, if that makes sense. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Yes they do, but only as a safe guard against a cold wall and warm room exerting conflicting stresses on the back and front.

this isn't an issue for me.

i have bought a new bridge saddle from Martin and will be adjusting the new one to a lower action, keeping the original as it is just in case my D28 top moves again when we get to winter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom