Les Paul - how to play sitting

What's Hot
paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
Hello

This might seem a bit of a daft question, but here goes....I've been playing bass guitar for around 30 years (ages, since I was 15) and got on very well with it. I've played it in concert/gig/performance situations both standing up and sitting (orchestras, etc) so I'm obviously comfortable holding it and playing it. I've just done a check and my posture standing or sitting is basically the same, as it relates to hand positions, angle of neck, etc etc. (Its a Fender Jazz Bass).

Now, today I bought a Les Paul (copy), I originally learnt how to play the (6 string) electric guitar before I switched to bass and for a little while I've wanted to return to playing it. I went to a couple of music shops and tried a number of guitars, including an SG (copy) and a Telecaster but I really wanted a Les Paul. And based on the sound, I bought one. When I was in the shop I didn't have any issues getting comfortable and playing it, albeit badly because I haven't played one for about 30 yrs!!! But now I'm home, for the life of me I can't sit down and get into a comfy posture with it. Standing up, its fine. But if I sit down, its curve at the bottom is in the wrong place. If I put it on my right thigh (nearest the bridge) its too far to the right; and if I put it on the other, too far left and it slides off too.  Or I can kinda prop it on my thigh with the outlet socket directly on my leg (with a right angle cord) and tilt it in the air, to about 60deg or so. Imagine like a Spanish guitar technique/player might do it.

Any solutions to this issue, or am I resigned to playing it stood up all the time? Or should I just buy a Telecaster LOL (lovely guitars, but not the same, or desired sound for me, unfortunately).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I'd like to offer a positive suggestion - but I agree with everything you say.

Les Pauls are probably the best looking solid guitar there is - but an ergonomic nightmare for me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I always rest my Les Paul on my left leg when sat down, it feels more natural to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I've just tried again, a bunch of different positions etc. I've found that I can replicate my posture to be the same standing and sitting, if I wear the strap around my right shoulder only - ie not around the back of my neck. That puts the whole guitar slightly to the right but its easy enough to adjust to play it like this. But then I don't want to drop it....

I guess I could just always play it stood up? I can't see a situation where I need (rather than want) to play it sitting, unless there's a nearby orchestra who are doing the "Bond theme tune" or something and they're desparate for someone to do the guitar riff on that - That would be a lot of fun, I'd jump at the chance to do that!!!

Or maybe I could ignore the advice to develop a "correct" posture, and simply learn to play it in a number of different postures - but it kinda goes against common sense, and goes against making life easy & comfortable for yourself so you can concentrate on other more important aspects of playing and enjoy it more etc.
    I'd like to offer a positive suggestion - but I agree with everything you say.

Les Pauls are probably the best looking solid guitar there is - but an ergonomic nightmare for me....
    Thanks for the input, it sounds like its not just me then......
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited July 2016
    I had to go and play a couple of my guitars to remember how I use them. When I play a Telecaster standing it sticks forward at about 45 degrees (think Wilco Johnson), so when I'm sitting it's on my right thigh projecting forward. 

A Les Paul is much closer to my chest. I wear it quite high, with the neck reaching up towards my left shoulder. So close that I have to wear my reading glasses to be able to see the fretboard. When sitting with a Les Paul I use a classical pose, but with my right leg is stretched out towards the right. The left bout of the guitar lies on my left thigh, and the right bout rests against my right thigh.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I always use a guitar strap. Standing or sitting.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited July 2016
    Put it on a strap, dangle it between your legs. Or rest it on your fretting hand leg, supported by the strap. I find them uncomfortable on my picking hand leg
    If I sit down, the strap (in the same position/length I'd have it stood up) is loose. I guess the guitar is physically higher up, or I'm leaning over it. I'll try different postures sitting and/or an adjustment on the strap so its supported just above where it would flop down to.

It was just a little thing I'd not really properly noticed, until I looked on Youtube for guitar lessons (after having dismissed the absolutel rubbish eMedia lessons which come free with the guitar!!!) and found an informative video. He mentioned that the posture should be the same standing/sitting - which makes sense.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    StanleyAccrington;1142605" said:
    I always use a guitar strap. Standing or sitting.
    Me too. Worth experimenting with strap length.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Sound advice there. Les Pauls just don't work for me ergonomically either. More's the pity. I love the look and the sound.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Wis to @DLM and @richardhomer there. I agree, unfortunately :(
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    You are not alone, I can't play one sat down either. Everything seems to be in the wrong place for me.
    If you've got a Jazz Bass you may have been better off getting a Strat or Jazzmaster would have been a more natural transition.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    sweepy said:
    I always rest my Les Paul on my left leg when sat down, it feels more natural to me
    This /\.

I don't have a problem with playing Lesters sitting, but then they're my favourite electric. May be you just need a bit of time to adjust to playing one. I certainly play it with the neck angled upwards, but then I do this playing any guitar.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    You could give a Telecaster Deluxe a try. Dual humbuckers will get you into Les Paul territory. Much more comfortable ime.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Don't sit in a low chair for one, a high chair like a kitchen or dining chair is better. But like others have said, use a strap.
    I have tried adjusting the strap, unfortunately its worse not better. So I've tried a variety of seating positions and none are ideal. For now I have resigned myself to playing it stood up (which I don't really mind).