Thinking of a new strat

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
I used to own a really nice strat, the first relic that ever made it to the UK. It was lovely had a great big fat birds eye maple neck and just sounded exactly like a vintage strat should. I sold it a few years ago as I 'm mostly a HB player and it was too much money to have invested in an occasional guitar. I bough a tokai to still have a strat but I've never been happy with it, it just wasn't as good - of course not why would it be. I'm now thinking is selling a few little uses guitars to fund a better strat and can probably raise about a grand, but the range from fender these days is just overwhelming. Ay tips on what's good and what's not, I don't mind going second hand but unless I can get something that feels and sounds a little special for the money I won't bother. I'm not really a snob I don't think my main guitar is a burney les Paul despite having 2 gibsons in the rack. Sorry for the long post but there isn't too many new threads at the moment so I thought I would write an essay :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Doh sorry for the formatting -posted on my ipad.
  • Shouldnt have sold that guitar - it was a beauty - or rather you should have sold it to me :)

FWIW, Im not sure you'll get anything special for £1k new.  I tried lots of £1k and under stats about 3 years ago, and in all honesty the Mex Classic Player 60s was the best of the bunch.  I didnt try anything above a standard as they got too much money.

Used is a different matter.  You'd get a deluxe for that, and Ive seen Custom Shops for around £1100 (not relecs).  As you know though - try as many as you c an and only part with the cash if you find one thats right.    

My recent acquisition of a select has been a revelation.  Its replaced my PRSs as my No 1.  It wasnt cheap though at £1500, but it was new.  No idea if youd find one used at all, and if you did what kind of price it would be.  Not sure its you cup of tea in the looks department either TBH.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/612/fs-fender-eric-johnson-strat#latest

Buy this, then tell me where you live so I can rob your house. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I'm trying to decide between an MJT build or holding out for the new lacquer series. They look mighty fine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited August 2013
    relic245 said:
    I used to own a really nice strat, the first relic that ever made it to the UK. It was lovely had a great big fat birds eye maple neck and just sounded exactly like a vintage strat should.
    I think I might have played that guitar! If it was a 'Mary Kaye' blonde one, anyway... at a Fender demo when they first came out, through one of those Dual Professional amps. I think they said it was the first one here. I do remember it had a big birdseye neck and sounded fantastic.
    relic245 said:
    Ay tips on what's good and what's not, I don't mind going second hand but unless I can get something that feels and sounds a little special for the money I won't bother.
    Get another Relic - they're really better. I used not to get the whole idea - despite having played that early one, I just thought it was a fluke, and I never liked the whole fake wear and damage thing at all, still don't. But the 'Light Relics' have everything that's good about the concept, without the bad stuff. So you get the carefully chosen parts, the accelerated ageing, rolled fingerboard edges etc, and the smallest amount of surface damage that means you won't be scared to play it. Every one I've played has been a great guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    ^Agreed there are some awesome relics, earlier ones being the best, heavy relics the worst - although don't discount the regular American Vintage range. You can get some real bargains and they're usually great guitars. Stick a callaham trem block on and your choice of pickups and they're spot on.

The EJ strat for sale though should be on your list. Great price for a really great guitar. The flatter radius board will make the gibson to strat transition a bit easier!
    Yes it was a Mary kay and I'd love another one but they fetch too much money for me at the moment. I sold mine for over two grand and I saw a compatible one recently for £2600. I don't have tat at the moment and I'd then be in the same situation of a lot of cash invested in what would often be an ornament. Maybe I should wait a bit, I got a 335 for my 40th and less than 2 years till my 50th :D
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    Build one.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    Paul, yours looks lovely from the pics!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've got a Roadhouse strat, and I'm loving it. It's a MIM but it feels great, and with Texas Specials stock it sounds the part too. But as always, the best way is to go out and try a load and see what happens. It's also the most fun :)
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863

G&L might be worth a shout(possibly second hand though) if you can't find a regular Fender Strat with a spec you like.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Why not build your own custom start from warmoth parts.
    Tis what I did
    This is the result
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/Axe_meister/blingmachines002.jpg
    Yes g&l may be a good shout, thanks, 

Not sure i have the time or inclination to build one at the moment. As well as work and the band I'm doing two fairly intensive training courses at the moment, I think my plate is about full at the moment time wise.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader

G&L might be worth a shout(possibly second hand though) if you can't find a regular Fender Strat with a spec you like.

I second this. 
    G&L are awesome bargains.
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    OK after many years never owning anything Fender , I dipped my toe in this year.

I borrowed a friends Classic Player 50's for a few months. That neck was to die for ...(this is coming from a staunch Gibbo man) and I really got to like it.

I had my head set on an Eric Johnson and my local (Peach ) had two S/H in store. All the spec's added up and they looked the real biz....but I don't know why they just didn't gel.
    Peach also had two 2012 American standards in S/H and they were just right ! I bought the one in my Avatar , in totally mint condition for £699 .

It has become my "go to" (when I can get it away from my daughter). My duaghter plays but does not care about what it is , or the name , but she has really fallen for the Strat. I asked her why and she says she does not know ..."It is just right".

Though that said I A/B'd it with the Classic Player , and yes it is better , but the CP is a really fine instrument.