The Atomic Amplifire User Thread

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
So there's one for the Helix and one for the Fx8 etc so thought I would get one going for the Amplifire for people to share their favourite settings, useful tips etc

I have one arriving in the next few days with the latest firmware update, so will appreciate all the advice possible as I get used to it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I gig with one.

Happy to answer any questions
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Cheers fella, what are your favourite settings? I've heard that the v 3 update has improved the effects, what are the delay's like? I'm trying to figure out if I could do away with my Superdelay
    tFB Trader
    I haven't bothered to update to v3 yet as there weren't any features I especially needed to use.

I will do at some point, but haven't got around to it yet.

Apparently the delay has become significantly more fully featured, but even before it was pretty good sounding.

I think you could probably get away without an external delay pedal provided you don't need to tweak on the fly as editing on the Amplifire front panel is horrific.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have updated but I'm too busy with the Helix to properly get behind it. However the FX in V3 have had an overhaul including the delays (which sound pretty good I have to say_) And I'm pretty sure the architecture has changed so you can have more FX available
    edited July 2016
    The Press Release Before proceeding, backup your AmpliFIRE using the editor. This firmware has been tested rigorously both internally and by our beta team but if for any reason (as unlikely as it may be) you need to revert to an older version you’ll need it since presets saved in the new firmware will not be backwards compatible. Current presets should sound the same after the update. That being said, we are very pleased to have a BIG update for you with many new features, amps and some critical bug fixes. Marc IV Lead and Marc IV EQ amps have been added to the arsenal and have quickly become a go to favorites with our in house and beta teams. This one’s going to leave a “marc”. Did I just write that-

Rumble & Rumble Bright This instant AmpliFIRE classic inspired a certain “steely” guitarist to purchase the little red box on the spot after playing just a few chords and lines. After listening to some customer’s preference for a version with more bite we made it happen. All D style amps are unique so this is fitting. Thanks to “D” amp expert Scott Lerner for all your help! Echo Block: Some have called AmliFIRE’s delays great sounding but somewhat basic. No longer! The Echo block has been completely reworked to be a 4-tap delay that can be run in series or parallel mode. Each tap having dedicated time, feedback, mix and pan parameters. We’ve added a highly accurate Bucket Brigade mode to make analog delays as cool and quirky as the real thing. In addition, another cool aspect of the updated Echo block is the ability to blend your favorite echo characteristics into one effect to create delays that can’t be recreated on their dedicated real-world counterparts. For example, you can put tape flutter on an analog (bucket brigade) delay. The options are limitless. Effects Block: Check out this power move: The Effects block has been broken out to individual blocks. Previously, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser & Trem effects shared the same block and parameters which was pretty simple but very limiting. Now, each effect has its own dedicated block with more parameters that are specific to the effect. The chorus can now be a super lush quad chorus, the flanger has a dedicated regeneration parameter and a though-zero mode and much more. The clincher is that they can all be run simultaneously with no regard to resources! Reverb Block: Spring2 has been added to provide classic D’Luxe lovers a very familiar experience. Reverb is a deep and broad effect and we’re still just scratching the surface. More on that later. Footswitch management just got a whole lot more fun and flexible. How about being able to assign any number of effects to one switch with the click of the button- 3.0’s got it. Want to turn an effect off when turning the other(s) on- Done! The inverse feature covers it. Check out the new “Footswitches” tab in the editor but make sure to set the Global Switch to “preset assign” to make it work. For those of you who prefer the old way, that’s still intact. Or you can mix and match on a per preset basis! Copy & Paste: Editor now has ability to copy and paste block parameters so you don’t have to go crazy setting up your favorite reverb (or whatever effect) parameters in a different preset Levels: Interestingly, one of the most requested features has been to make the main Level control assignable to main outputs, aux outputs, and headphones independently. Check! MIDI Clock Support for Tap Tempo: Not much else to say but Amplifire’s got it. MIDI CC AmpliFIRE now offers a continuous controller’s assignment page that lets you choose what MIDI CC number controls each assignable parameter (wah, volume, effect enables etc.). External controllers have never been so easy to set up. Start Up Noise Reduced: This rare and difficult to reproduce anomaly that caused a loud static-like noise on boot up has been silenced. Format Flash Issue Fixed: Another rare and difficult to reproduce condition causing presets, amp and cab models to be erased has been corrected. Editor Stability fixed issues associated with tap tempo light and backup / restore functions. Expansion: Increased parameter and preset storage capabilities to pave way for further future expansion!
    Holy editor Batman!
    Do you find the 3 footswitches are enough it would a midi controller help? I guess the update allowing you to bring in multiple effects at once maybe answers that question
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I found that midi helped as you can use a midi unit for patch up and down and engage. Leaves the foot switches on the unit free to switch a couple of effects and tap tempo. I have a Tech 21 Midi Mouse for sale £75, nice small footprint. I'll even deliver it to you
    I bought a gecko midi footswitch for patch recall and it works pretty well
    i struggled with a beheringer FB 1010 as the latching doesn't work properly
    ive got a eureka prom to put in it but not a lot of spare time at the mo
    I have the FCB1010 as well and the latest EurekaProm 3 chip on the way so hopefully that should make some things easier, however it's not the smallest midi controller and so we shall see how things go
    edited July 2016
    Are the packs you can buy really worth paying the extra on top for?
    Didn't know you could.
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I have the Michael Britt presets on mine and they are great, well worth a few quid I reckon
    tFB Trader
    The MBritt patches are way better than any of the presets or anything I've been able to do myself (that said I have very low tolerance for creating patches)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Me too
    i used the Glenn Delauny ones as the basis for my Helix tones

Off to google
  • When i had mine, id say that money is better spent on speaker ir's. 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36

Quick question for anyone who owns an Amplifire please. Am I right in thinking that it doesn't have global EQ at the moment?

I'm considering getting one and using it through a Yamaha DXR10 powered PA speaker (as backline) that doesn't have much in the way of EQ adjustment. I realise I could run it into the PA mixer and adjust EQ on there but at the moment we only use the PA for vocals so none of the other instruments would go through the PA and it may sound a bit odd. Also it wouldn't help in terms of the sound I would hear on stage

I guess I could use a separate EQ pedal but the idea of getting the Amplifire would be to minimise the number of external pedals.

tFB Trader
    I'm not totally sure as I don't like fiddling with menus, but what I do know is that when I run into the FX return of my amp (post EQ loop) I go via a TC Spark so that I have a simple master EQ on physical knobs.
    No global EQ
    the TC spark is a good idea or a ge7 if using it in an fx return
    obviously the PA will act as one