Which little amp should I get for my birthday?

gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895

:)

I have a hankering for a little amp that I can noodle on at home but also take along to practice - I have been weighing up a few options and my current shortlist is the Jim Root #4 Terror, AMT Stonehead, Tubemeister 18w or Ironheart IRT15H.

I do want lots of gain - it's for fun after all! :) Not sure about the Tubemeister - I used to be a bit of an H&K fanboy but the higher end stuff (blue glowing ones) seem to have this clean-even-when-dirty character that I don't like very much and listening to demos it sounds a little thin.

Not sure on the Ironheart - demos sound a little 'hard' to me...the #4 terror sounds awesome on demos but I already have a TH30 so it may be too similar to be interesting. Kind of keen on the Stonehead...just an interesting thing...probably the front runner atm.

You guys have any favourites?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Engl Ironball sounds lovely!

• Ooh a new one :)

Just checked out the demos and it sounds incredible...bit more expensive than the alternatives but you can see where the money has gone.

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    My Tweaker and a good pedal [cough]

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    JCA22H? 
  • The JR Terror is absolutely amazing sounding, incredible tone from such a small head and I much prefer it to the dark terror, which had a nasty character to the top end, even though the bottom was a bit loose (in a typically orange way).  The JR Terror *does* sound remarkably like the rockerverb through a V30.  

The Stonehead has some excellent reviews, but sadly I've not used one.  Do you like solid state sounds?  If not, it might not be the one for you.  However, it has lots of gain, 2 different voicings for high gain, crunch and clean options.  Very fun!

How about the Tony Iommi combo?  You know it'll sound great ;)
  • How about a s/h Multi FX / AMT Legend Pre and s/s power amp setup?  You'd have the potential to go lighter and louder than your TH30, and wouldn't be lacking in gain options.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Stonehead or Mini Rectifier :).

Or maybe the Egnater Tweaker, if all-out gain isn't the top requirement. It's a lot of fun, and more versatile than I would have believed - and just plain sounds great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I used to gig an Egnater Rebel 20 and it sounded great until I exploded it. I then bought the combo version which I didn't get on with as well and it kind of put me off a bit. Not tried the Tweaker though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I didn't like the Rebel either. The Tweaker is very different.

The new Peavey Valve King 20-watter looks worth waiting to see, as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Stonehead or Mini Rectifier :).
    I'm intrigued by the Stonehead (Mini Rec too expensive :) )...the demos I have heard all make it sound a bit 'clanky' though. Kind of hard sounding - no warmth or sponginess. I think that's a tone that a lot of people like, which is fine, but I'm not sure I would. And I'm not keen on buying to try because I suspect it would lose half its value as soon as it is delivered.
  • Jet City JCA22H? Not quite as little as the Stonehead, but very nice :)
    <space for hire>
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I used to gig an Egnater Rebel 20 and it sounded great until I exploded it. I then bought the combo version which I didn't get on with as well and it kind of put me off a bit. Not tried the Tweaker though.

Rebel 20 does it for me. Not the combo, though as you said.

Very versatile, and I can't dial in a bad tone if I try. Not had a problem with mine, but I have read of reliability issues, but then again the joy of the internet is such that you can find similar threads for any amp.