Just contacted a local tutor

What's Hot
RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
Had a shocking rehearsal last week and it's forced me to realise that my playing just isn't as consistent as I'd like it to be.  I've been sitting down with the intention of practising but have realised that I don't really know what I should be spending time on or how to actually improve.  For example, I know my picking needs some work but I've been doing the same exercises at the same tempos for months now.

So I've contacted a local tutor for help.  I've had lessons before and I actually feel a little bad that I'm not going back to the same guy but I think I got all I could from him and our interests were to far apart for me to get anything more from him.  I'm hoping this one will be more rock/technique based.

Not really sure of the point of posting this other than I feel a need to vent some of the frustration I have with my own playing.  All I get off my band mates is "it was fine" or "oh, I wasn't really listening" (the latter really winds me up).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Well, first impressions are good - I've just heard back and he's got a free slot at 5:30pm tomorrow.  Wasn't really expecting a response until working hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Good news. I went to a guitar tutor a few days ago - he identified gaps in my knowledge. Of course, I'd never known about them.....because they're gaps in knowledge!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    RedRabbit said:
    All I get off my band mates is "it was fine" or "oh, I wasn't really listening" (the latter really winds me up).
    If they aren't listening they're either lying to be pleasant to your face or I would leave that band!!! When you're soloing you should be the focal point at that moment.

Fair play to you for realising you might need to put some graft in and best of luck with the lessons. its something I'm considering after almost 20 years of ploughing through stuff on my own I think I could do with some guidance. its juts time and money that are the limiting factors for me!
    How very rock and roll
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28196
    I've found lessons (albeit for cello) enormously helpful. Just make sure you go with a tutor who understands and works towards your goals with you.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."