Aria SB series, 1980s

ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
I know this is technically bending the rules a bit, but I'm not sure enough to post a 'wanted' ad yet, and it would just get lost in the classifieds unless I kept bumping it…

My first ever bass in either late 1985 or early '86 was an Aria SB-1000, and I've been thinking about looking for another - although probably not a 1000, since they're very expensive now due to the Cliff Burton connection, and I was never completely convinced by the active circuit anyway.

Also, the original series have very narrow string spacing at the bridge, even narrower than my Rickenbacker, and I'm pretty sure I found it a bit restricting last time I played one. The ones I'm possibly thinking of are the 'R' series… I briefly had two of these as well, both SB-R60s, one in transparent red and the other in metallic blue. I defretted one but I can't remember which now.

Anyone got one - of either series - that they'd be interested in selling?

And especially if they want a white Fender Pawnshop Mustang Bass as a swap… :) (Which is cool, but I'm just not getting on with it as much as I thought I would.)

Feel free to make this a general 'Aria SB appreciation thread' as well, that will help with the rule-bending ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    The Bass Gallery had a couple..a SB1000 and an Elite 1 I think. I remember going to The Bass Centre at Wapping back in the day, seeing all the models set out....god I want one again!
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    Aria made a Jack Bruce SB1000 model that was wide at the bridge, keep your eyes open for one of them!
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    I've got a sb700 from 81-82 ish that I bought new with hard case and hardly ever played. I don't really play bass these days, it hasn't even been out of the case for 20+ years so it's wasted on me...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    NeilMcG said:
    I've got a sb700 from 81-82 ish that I bought new with hard case and hardly ever played. I don't really play bass these days, it hasn't even been out of the case for 20+ years so it's wasted on me...
    What colour, and are you thinking of selling it? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    ICBM said:
    NeilMcG said:
    What colour, and are you thinking of selling it? :)
    It looks exactly like this one that someone had for sale here: http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/dt_catalog/aria-pro-ii-sb-700-mij/

It's a lovely piece of wood. I remember buying it from JG Windows in Newcastle and trying the SB1000 (couldn't afford it) and Fender Precision and Jazz (terrible setup made them almost unplayable - although would have been worth a lot more now ;-) ).

I'd sell it, it's a shame to leave it unplayed like it has been.
    Nice, but I'll have to pass… I was hoping it would be the paler natural ('caramel' colour) one. My SB-1000 was one of those.

The string spacing does look disconcertingly narrow too!

For what it's worth I think I paid £125 for my SB-1000 second hand in '85 or '86 - astonishing quality for the money back then. You'd pay a couple of grand for a nice one these days, although all the other models are still worth a lot less.

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    One of Jack Bruces' SB1000 is in The Bass Gallery as we speak....£6000.00 i think....Part of history right there! 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    For that price you can have the best original you can find (that wasn't owned by Jack Bruce or Cliff Burton).

I'd prefer something like an SB-600 or an SB-R60 anyway, I'm not really keen on the active circuit.

One like this would be ideal…

SB-600
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TfBq85K3pdo/TPDgeztzw7I/AAAAAAAAAY8/eQzt05NPU8Q/s1600/Aria+SB600.jpg

Or

SB-R60
    http://o-kumaneko.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_40a/o-kumaneko/IMG_2828-e327c.JPG

(Notice the wider bridge, as well as the 'eye' position markers and the recessed jack socket.)

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    Funny—just the other day I started looking around for an SB-R60 myself.

I’m curious about the medium-scale TSB-series as well—the single-pickup TSB-550 in particular.