Looking for inspiration with how to play live with a 3 piece band?

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
I thought it would be useful, especially for those who've never played live before, to watch some of the absolute professionals make a 3 piece band work really well by doing everything right.
Lets have your video's of 3 piece bands just getting it dead right and nailing every aspect of the song, the type of performance you would love to turn out with at your local jam night and take the roof off the place with.

I love this guy and his band and they've been discussed on here and loads of other forums pretty much constantly but here he is to start things off, Phil X and the Drills playing Highway to Hell pretty much perfectly and considering the way they're playing together AS a proper 3 piece band and not just 3 musicians in a room, i think it's stunning. Simple but still an easy song to ruin and really good to see it done this well. Enjoy this, a masterclass on how to play rock covers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Just watch The Jam...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited July 2016
    Winery Dogs and Kings X.
    I'd say Biffy Clyro too but they have Mike Vennart on guitar and a keyboard player so kinda not really a 3pc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Try Freak Kitchen too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Plus one for Winery Dogs, the John Mayer Trio stuff is also pretty impressive for a 3 piece. 

One of the bands I play in goes out as a 3 piece occasionally (singing bass player) and I love playing in that format. 

Really helps to to have decent backing vocals. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Good shout on King's X!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I loved being the bassist in a one guitar band, so much more room to do interesting things.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I know it's not the majority view but I'm not convinced about the lineup of the winery dogs - For me Billy gets carried away trying to fill the space when the songs are good enough already and would sound better with simpler lines playing for the song.     
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Cream, Police, ZZ Top et al
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Best live 3 piece I ever saw was 'The Ivy League', a sixties one hit wonder that then had decades as a succesful function cabaret band. Masterful musicianship, 3 good voices that they harmonised well and a stage craft that kept you engaged all the time. According to thier web site they have 15 gigs in Sept and 20 in October. They still have a great live reputation.
    Another great british like institution was the Hampsters.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Vaiai said:
    Winery Dogs and Kings X.
    I'd say Biffy Clyro too but they have Mike Vennart on guitar and a keyboard player so kinda not really a 3pc

Before the addition of the extra touring guys a few years ago, they still sounded enormous live, always made a big noise for a three piece. Great use of dynamics and lots of cracking vocal harmonies. 

I think having strong vocals from multiple members really lifts a three piece that's probably the biggest thing you can do to make it sound great. Shame I can't do it!
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    One word: Rush!
  • vizviz Frets: 10692
    The Hamsters 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Dynamics, Vocal harmonies and Volune! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Someone, not that long ago posted a link to a Free (the band) thing from Granada tv from back in the day.   I can't find it now but it was a masterclass in theeepieceism
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    That's the one.    
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Masterclass is the right word. Thanks i'd forgotten about this until you mentioned it.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Absolutely. The Masters. And the oldest member was barely 22.....if anything makes me want to play better and give up in the same moment, it's this.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236

and a bonus just two people

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    If I'm the band leader I'll always pick a trio format. The trick imho is to get a drummer that is rock solid and way better than the rest of the band. I've been lucky in that when I've led bands I'm punching well above my weight. Next up a bassist that can actually play  but doesnt overplay until needed. 

If you get the rhythm section right it is truly inspiring and one plays way better. 

I've done a lot of dep, scratch band, charity and church playing and sometimes the musicianship is truly appalling. There is nothing worse that a flaky drummer. Never put up with it. 

And finally your band needs dialogue or synergy or magic, whatever you call it. One doesnt play in a vacuum and conversations are more than one way. 

I lied finally finally you as a band need to connect with the audience. Years ago I played better in rehearsal, now after nearly 40 years I play better with an audience.