Mic for Micing a cab live.

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
I know the standard answer is use a Shure Sm57, but are there any (cheaper) options out there for mic'ing a cab for live gigs? Would log san E906 but there to expensive as I'm really working from a £50 budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I used a Shure PG57 for a while with good results...till it was nicked by a singer! :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited January 2014
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm

They sound really rather great, and since they're super cardioid there's much less external bleed than the SM57. You can also hang them over the cab the way you would with the E906.

On top of that, you get a gooseneck clamp and clip with it (you really have to force the mic into the clip - it feels like it's gonna break - but once it's in, it ain't coming out).
    <space for hire>
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    a few people have recommended these:

cheap and nasty I know, but for mixing a cab in a pub will it make much difference?
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

I've used one of these, Red 5 RVD30 Dynamic mic's - 37 quid, and they sound OK.

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Dynamic_Microphones.html

What size venues are you playing at? Would a DI feed from amp to Mixer be an option (a bit less hassle) and would eliminate what I get a lot - idiot singer prancing around and kicking the guitar mic away from the cab!!

edited January 2014
    None of my Amps have a DI output. as for size, just your average pub, nothing huge. 

I've spent the last year just using the backline for sound (usually a 2x12), no mic at all, but we're going down to 1 guitar from now on so thought it best to try to spread the sound better as before we had 1 guitar on each side of the stage, now with just 1 on one side i'm guessing it will be a bit "lopsided".

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Not certain it would sound lopsided in a smaller vanue but I do know what you mean.

Sure you know this already but I found using an open backed 2X12 cab was fantastic for 'spreading' the sound round a room a bit better than closed.

• That's another option:

Sits between your amp and cab, with mic/speaker emulated XLR out to the mixer. Much less hit-and-miss than a mic...not sure what it sounds like, though.
    <space for hire>
  • I've been doing pub gigs for well over ten years now and can honestly say I've never felt "the need" to mic up. maybe I'm in the wrong place being on the stage n all but i don't ever fell like I'm not being heard all around the pub. I'm not a big rock guy though so maybe that could be a factor. i just don't really understand some folks need to be mic'd up and put through the top speakers. i also think you can get a much better vocal sound/clarity if you don't pile all the instruments through the pa. 

just my two penneth and FWIW if you're looking for a decent, rugged sm57/8 alike check out the behringer version. I've used one for years and its never let me down although the suggestions above look pretty good n all! 
    How very rock and roll
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited January 2014
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/gadgets-toys-and-hobbies/professional-sound/microphones

Very good for the money. It comes unfortunately with a single core unbalanced cable (which you can make into a spare guitar cable!) but the mic is wired standard balanced. 

Anyhoo it is the BS18U.

Dave.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Got a well used 609 you can have for 50 quid, drop me a pm if you're interested.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    Dr Ika uses little mics in the cab, suspended in front of the driver
    e.g.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Dr Ika uses little mics in the cab, suspended in front of the driver
    e.g.

Very neat.

I used to do the DIY version of that, using a lectern clip on the lower back panel of the amp and mic'ing the cone from behind with an SM57. The amp was a Fender Super Champ, which has a very shallow cabinet so the mic was quite close to the cone. It worked really well, and made it look like the amp wasn't mic'ed up at all :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd grab that 609 above.  If you really don't want to spend more than 50 then the thoman superlux would be ok - I've tried some of their other mics and been impressed for the price.  

The pyle mic on amazon looks very interesting - I've read about them on psw and other sound forums but didn't realise you could get them in the uk.  Tempted to grab one just to test at that price!

Whatever you do go for, it's worth spending some time finding where you want to aim the mic - a few inches either way will have more affect on the sound than which mic you choose. Stick through the pa and stand out front while some moves the mic, then mark it for future reference.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Not cheaper but my favourite cab mice are Sennheiser 409, 609 or 906.
    You won't find a 409 for anything other than stupid money but you might find a 609 for around the new price of an SM57.
    IMHO well worth the money.
    I also have a 409, audio technica ae3000 condenser is also a very good mic for guitars IMHO.
    edited January 2014
    It seems to be a very Northern thing, but probably 90% of the bands here mic up.. not just guitars, but everything, usually guitars, bass, and at least 3 mic's on drums. Not sure why but it's the done thing :)

That's another option:

Sits between your amp and cab, with mic/speaker emulated XLR out to the mixer. Much less hit-and-miss than a mic...not sure what it sounds like, though.

I've heard a few speaker emulation type boxes and I've never been a fan of them.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Simple.

Used SM57.

Nerine said:
    Simple.

Used SM57.
    That would probably be a good option, but there is so much talk about fakes I wouldn't trust buying one used.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I use the 906 but 609 is fine

Mic'ing everything is a good idea as it means you can keep the onstage volume low, every band I work with mic up everything, it's just healthier for your ears in the long run

The 57 isn't a great choice for small stages as it will pick up a lot more drum spill than the Senn's ........... and drum cymbal spill through a 57 is not a pretty sound. On big stages though where you can get the guitar cabs a couple metres away from the drums 57's are great

Whatever mic you use, mic the speaker of your cab that's furthest from the drums and angle the mic to make use of it's dead zones to minimize the spill. Or build a simple baffle that sits against the cab to cut out some of the noise of the drums before it reach's the mic. A simple slab of 18MM MDF covered in 2 layers of carpet will work well enough
    www.2020studios.co.uk