What pickup do you use?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What are you playing these days, lewy? Got any clips/vids?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    edited November 2015
    thomasross20;848274" said:
    What are you playing these days, lewy? Got any clips/vids?
    Mostly playing Bluegrass and related stuff these days mate. Got bitten by the flatpicking bug and haven't been interested in much else since. Still do a couple of blues gigs a year, but the resos are all gone replaced by good flatpicking guitars.

Couple of clips (which also feature the Lyric in real life settings). In the second one, Jason is playing virtually the same guitar but with a K&K Trinity (I think....the one that's the pure mini plus an internal condenser mic).

• Wow great stuff - sounds great!! 
    K&K sounds perfectly good though prefer the sound out of yours
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72326
    edited November 2015
    K&K sounds perfectly good though prefer the sound out of yours
    The K&K is pretty good, and it's the least invasive of any permanently-fitted system as well as being invisible apart from the endpin jack, but I think it does need an external preamp if it's not going via a DI into a top-quality PA, or into an acoustic amp. Into a typical small PA mixer amp it needs help - or rather, the PA does. (Even if there's a dedicated high-impedance channel.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Impedance matching seems to be very Important with the K&K .... and not in the usual way of just making sure that the input of whatever you're plugging into is higher. You want it as close to the K&K's 1 Megohm output as possible otherwise you get excessive bass frequencies muddying up the sound.
  • If you're willing to spend some money have a look at Ken Donnell's MiniFlex 2mic.

I'm liking using the Fishman REB (wired in stereo) and a K&K Pure Mini at the moment.

I've also got another guitar with a K&K Trinity and Dimarzio Black Angel in - Also quite nice! :)

If you're after a passive sound hole pickup the Dimarzio is a good one - Adjustable pole pieces and a phase switch as well as sounding nice
  • Guys I'm looking for a pick up for a lowden and was thinking of the lyric as it seems to be easy to install plus it doesn't have much impact to how the top vibrates (correct me if im wrong). Have used the anthem before and found it good but it was factory installed. I also think the anthem may affect acoustic sound because of all the paraphernalia hanging from the top. So do you think the lyric is a good option for self installing or are there better options available?
    They Lyric is very easy to install (notwithstanding that it requires the usual endpin hole). The knack is properly setting the presence control, and potentially experimenting with location of the tru-mic. 

• If you're going into your F50 then go with the Donnell! Other than needing the endpin hole widened it's all mic positioning to taste and nothing touches the top

If you're going into your F50 then go with the Donnell! Other than needing the endpin hole widened it's all mic positioning to taste and nothing touches the top
    What's the view on real-world feedback rejection on those? My experience of internal gooseneck mics is that claims of feedback rejection are usually overstated. The Donnell sounds awesome on the youtubes I've watched though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72326
    Lewy said:
    What's the view on real-world feedback rejection on those? My experience of internal gooseneck mics is that claims of feedback rejection are usually overstated. The Donnell sounds awesome on the youtubes I've watched though.
    My experience of playing live in various small venues in a band context is that generally any kind of microphone inside the guitar is the last thing you want, and if you do have one with a blend control, the best setting is either with the mic off or so close to it you might as well not bother.

Feedback - which the audience definitely will notice, immediately - is a far bigger enemy than not getting that perfect acoustic tone… which they won't. Maybe at a proper acoustic gig with a nice PA, quiet stage and a soundman, it might be different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Maybe at a proper acoustic gig with a nice PA, quiet stage and a soundman, it might be different.
    Indeed, although I'd always opt for a nice external mic in that setting anyway.