Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£859 for a PRS SE......?

What's Hot

Comments

• http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/prs-se-chris-robertson-signature-se-black-stone-cherry-burst.htm?gclid=CIn0qYGQ7s4CFcHNGwod5GkDsw

Chris Robertson Black Stone Cherry Signature model

I cant see this being a big seller and I understand its a UK only model? Surely the market for this is in the US? Looks nice and a great spec, he's an awesome player too - but who is going to spend that sort of money on a PRS SE?

Just out of interest - what are the pros and cons of going for something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-S2-Custom-singlecut-charcoal-burst-with-Tremonti-signature-and-pickups-/232064919511?hash=item360825a7d7:g:l8oAAOSwFe5XxVGF

This was the first used American model I found on Ebay.  My initial feelings would be you would be crazy to buy an SE when you can pick up a US model probably for the same price or a little more?

Would be interesting to know why anyone would prefer to buy a Korean made model instead?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The same reasons anyone ever buys something instead something more upmarket but used.   
    Cars,  guitars, bikes, high whatever.  Sometimes it's nice to be the first owner 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The pricing of the advert says £859.00 (Approx €1019.4612)

I hate to think what the Euro price would be if they weren't being "approx".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    John_P said:
    I would still like to see the Bernie marsden as a full PRS though.  
    I watched the Captain meets Bernie Marsden video the other day, and it was Bernie's request that they were an SE version, as he wanted them to be affordable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You can get a Bernie Marsden full PRS can't you? I thought when artists did runs with PRS, even if their run was an SE model, there were still a few high-end full USA PRS version made too. I know there's a Holcomb Sig that costs like 3 grand, and when the Captain interviewed Bernie I remember him saying there would be a few USA sigs made for the real enthusiasts.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited September 2016
    Jack_ said:
    You can get a Bernie Marsden full PRS can't you? I thought when artists did runs with PRS, even if their run was an SE model, there were still a few high-end full USA PRS version made too. I know there's a Holcomb Sig that costs like 3 grand, and when the Captain interviewed Bernie I remember him saying there would be a few USA sigs made for the real enthusiasts.
    No they never made them just the se models and a limited run of private stock but no core models. 
    edited September 2016
    Adam_MD said:
    Jack_ said:
    No they never made them just the se models and a limited run of private stock but no core models. 
    Oh right, that's what I was getting at, I didn't mean there was an SE model and a USA model, I meant like there were a few top-end (private stock) versions available for the true enthusiasts.

How much difference is there any way between a Bernie and an SC245 from the USA line?
  • drphibesdrphibes Frets: 68
    edited September 2016
    Yes Black Stone Cherry are a lot bigger over here so that will be why the UK and Europe has been chosen for the launch of this model. In regards to the price, a Zach Myers se can be found selling for around £500-£650 depending on the colour. The Myers has standard SEpups so im guessing the extra on the this model is because it has the USA made bridge pup and its also a brand new model and a limited one as well.
  • Jack_ said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Jack_ said:
    Oh right, that's what I was getting at, I didn't mean there was an SE model and a USA model, I meant like there were a few top-end (private stock) versions available for the true enthusiasts.

How much difference is there any way between a Bernie and an SC245 from the USA line?

The difference is the control layout and neck. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Jack_ said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Jack_ said:

I've got both and there are big differences in the build materials/quality. You'd know straight away when you hold them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a big difference between the core USA line and the SE but I also think there is too between the S2 and the core line. 
    Now this is based of only holding and playing two S2 singlecuts but they felt like SE models and sounded no better. 
    I personally wouldn't choose an S2 based on my experience over a Core PRS however I do like the look of the satin finished models with pickguard sand think that's what they should have down all along with the S2 line, make cheaper USA made guitars of models you can't get in either core or SE lines. 
  • grungebob said:
    There is a big difference between the core USA line and the SE but I also think there is too between the S2 and the core line. 
    Now this is based of only holding and playing two S2 singlecuts but they felt like SE models and sounded no better. 
    I personally wouldn't choose an S2 based on my experience over a Core PRS however I do like the look of the satin finished models with pickguard sand think that's what they should have down all along with the S2 line, make cheaper USA made guitars of models you can't get in either core or SE lines. 
    To be honest that is exactly what I was thinking too and was wondering what others thought of the S2.  i have tried a few that again, didn't feel anything special.  My problem is I have to compare what to me is middle of the road forgettable instruments with classics I can remember which were head and shoulders above these SE models.  One of the nicest guitars I ever played however (and sold actually at the time) was a PRS CE 24.  It was plain black, bolt on neck and retailed at the time around £1200!  Full USA model (around 1997 I think).  It was the most stunning sounding, versatile work horse guitar I have played.  Everything about it was perfect for me personally.  I appreciate its not a single cut but if there is one lurking on Ebay it well worth checking out.  Its hard to get excited about an SE IF you can get an early USA model in great nick for not tooooo much more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow wow wow!! I just found one!  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-CE24-Blue-with-hard-case-updated-photos-/291858643181?hash=item43f42178ed:g:WDoAAOSw8oFXyvYh

OK - Its blue and definitely not promoting this or suggesting anyone buys it (could be a bag of nails!!)  but this EXCITES ME!  That is a full on - early USA model.  They are INCREDIBLE guitars and look at the price - starting at £750!!!!  If this was a Gibson it would have doubled in price getting toward classic status.  I almost feel like have a stab myself actually.
  • RichardsGuitarsRichardsGuitars Frets: 260
    edited September 2016
    Oh my... my dream guitar is right there... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-1997-CE-24-Frets-USA-made-Guitar-/152222795363?hash=item23712f8663:g:utwAAOSwMHdXSZjM  Why the hell did I look at this thread!!

I remember the Dragon pickups were incredible.   The difference between the PRS SE and this - its like one is from a toy shop.
  • That was my initial point @RichardsGuitars i guess this SE model is really meant for the fanboys and putting the nice appointments like the USA pickup and nice bridge its definately not the same as a core line model. These guitars only become a bargain in the secondhand market, and its the very same market that makes secondhand core line models such a bargain in comparison. So many great guitars available at the moment and its a buyers market if you can hold your nerve!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Oh my... my dream guitar is right there... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-1997-CE-24-Frets-USA-made-Guitar-/152222795363?hash=item23712f8663:g:utwAAOSwMHdXSZjM  Why the hell did I look at this thread!!

I remember the Dragon pickups were incredible.   The difference between the PRS SE and this - its like one is from a toy shop.
    I suspect both of the CE models you spotted will struggle to get a bid at those starting prices.   They regular sell for less than.  
    That black one is near me, so maybe if it does drop in price...
  • John_P said:

I suspect both of the CE models you spotted will struggle to get a bid at those starting prices.   They regular sell for less than.  
    WOW! Thats incredible - I literally had a feeling I haven't had for years and nearly bought the black one myself - just for the memories.

That really is sad because it this exact model that made me realise why I didn't want to be a PRS dealer as no other PRS made me feel the way this one did - and my "job" was to convince people they were worth £2500-£3500 for the "posh" ones but something about this guitar - it was all I ever wanted to play and the high end models did nothing for me.

• Old thread apologies, but I notice the production run Chris Robertson SE is now out there, however it would seem thay've dropped the US made pickup in favour of one that's 'modelled after the US made ...' and given it an 'S' suffix.  It's not at all clear that this pickup isn't the same American made one on the earlier runs, so I think this is misleading on the part of PRS and a bit sneaky. Anyone else still interested in this model? I thought the price would maybe have come down a little more than 50 quid if they're fitting a Korean made pickup although by renaming it so subtly perhaps they're hoping most people won't notice?  Of course I am happy to be put right on this if it is indeed US made, but after a fair bit of Googling I don't think it is, although you wouldn't know it from the PRS website, or most other places advertising it.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited November 2017
    If the music importing and distribution is anything like my import and dist business we are looking to have to move prices 10-15% to cover the current dollar rate.

as we get through the summer I expect to see the bought ahead dollars run out and importers having to pass those costs on.

this is a bit of a premium SE but currency post Brexit is going to hurt import prices.

Brexit means brexit inflation. Sadly.

We can't even say we weren't warned. George Osbourne was prattling on about it way before the referendum vote. Unfortunately, since he has the chraisma of a carrot none of us were listening.

Still, at least he was wrong about the other stuff - GDP growth hasn't stopped, unemployment hasn't risen and house prices haven't fallen 10-20%.