Can anyone help me with the Stray cat strut chords played on this live recording?

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
edited September 2016 in Technique
Can anyone tell me what the chords are to the lick Brian Setzer is playing in this version of Stray Cat Strut?
the lick starts at 47 seconds and is the 2nd guitar lick he plays inbetween the vocal line 
It's nothing like he played on the original recording. I've tried googling it but got a boatload of generic chord patterns that aren't right.  
Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    edited September 2016
    Haven't got a guitar with me but Cm Eb Ab9 G9.

x35543
    x68886
    x 11 10 11 11 11
    x 10 9 10 10 10

Something like that. Might have got my numbers wrong (thanks Jalapeno!), and the last two chords might be a lower voicing ....
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    2nd fingering is D

Those last 2 fingerings are F9 & E9
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    But that live version is in C minor not A minor
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited September 2016
    The first fingering IS Cm !

Ah I see your editing skjillz !

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Sounds more  like Cm, Bb6 , Ab7,  G7
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited September 2016
    Definitely goes up to the relative major, then the 2 ninth chords - after the second line at 47 seconds. It's the lower voicing for the ninths, try this:

x 3 5 5 4 3 
    x 6 8 8 8 6
    x x 8 8 7 x
    x x 7 7 6 x

viz said:
    Definitely goes up to the relative major, then the 2 ninth chords - after the second line at 47 seconds. It's the lower voicing for the ninths, try this:

x 3 5 5 4 3 
    x 6 8 8 8 6
    x x 8 8 7 x
    x x 7 7 6 x

A Bb with an added G is Bb6 no ? 

Second chord at 48 secs is Bb with an added G .... like 

XX 8 7 8 6 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    viz said:

x 3 5 5 4 3 
    x 6 8 8 8 6
    x x 8 8 7 x
    x x 7 7 6 x

A Bb with an added G is Bb6 no ? 

Well yes it is and you could well be right - and it could also be called a gm 1st inversion - but yes, there could be that D note in there - I just can't hear it on my phone. Actually now I can only seem to hear the double-stopped xxxx86, which could be any of Eb major, g minor or Bb add6!
  • Awesome version

setzer is the man...so cool
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    monkey42 said:
    Awesome version

setzer is the man...so cool

Yeah its great, a good mashup. However I clicked it off at 3:06, did I miss anything important or interesting?
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    No all the good stuff is in the first Verse 

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    My ears are telling me those chords aren't right but I just can't work it out 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2016
    I think @Danny1969 might be right.
    My wild guess at the voicings is:

Cm:   8  10  10  8  8  x
    Bb6:  6    x   8   7   8  x 
    Ab7:  x    6   4   5  4   x
    G7:   x    5   3   4   3   x

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2016
    bignorm said:

The concept was right - my voicing was just too high. Just got home and listened properly with a guitar. They're definitely 7 add 9ths, those last two chords. It's

x 3 5 5 4 3 (c minor)
    x 6 8 7 8 x (Eb maj7)
    x x 4 3 4 x (Ab7 add 9 (no 3, no tonic!))
    x x 3 2 3 x (G7 add 9 (no 3, no tonic!))

If you're careful you can get the hand position for the 2nd chord, then just move it down 4 frets for the 3rd chord (being careful not to play the x notes) - you can hear him sliding down for this - then slide one more fret downwards for the 4th chord. It's really clever and simple - the same shape but in different relative positions to the root, gives rise to either a maj7, or a 7 add 9. 

IMO. 

It does sound a tad empty without the bass; to fill out the last two chords, you could do

4 3 4 3 4 x
    3 2 3 2 3 x
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2016
    viz said:
    bignorm said:

The concept was right - my voicing was just too high. Just got home and listened properly with a guitar. They're definitely 7 add 9ths, those last two chords. It's

x 3 5 5 4 3 (c minor)
    x 6 8 7 8 x (Eb maj7)

If you're careful you can get the hand position for the 2nd chord, then just move it down 4 frets for the 3rd chord (being careful not to play the x notes) - you can hear him sliding down for this - then slide one more fret downwards for the 4th chord. 

IMO. 

It does sound odd without the bass; to fill out the last two chords, you could do

4 3 4 3 4 x
    3 2 3 2 3 x

Yes, I think that's the closest, but I think I'd still go for a Bb6 instead of an Ebmaj7. Same chord but just a Bb in the bass instead of an Eb.

Also, (just personal taste) but your suggestions for the final two chords might sound better without the 3rds, so they would be:
    4 x 4 3 4 x
    3 x 3 2 3 x

The thirds make them sound a bit muddy.

Based on looking at the clip it looks he's playing the Cm higher up with the root on the 6th string. Same notes, just a different position on the neck.
    It's not a competition.
    edited September 2016
    viz said:
    bignorm said:

x 3 5 5 4 3 (c minor)
    x 6 8 7 8 x (Eb maj7)

If you're careful you can get the hand position for the 2nd chord, then just move it down 4 frets for the 3rd chord (being careful not to play the x notes) - you can hear him sliding down for this - then slide one more fret downwards for the 4th chord. 

IMO. 

It does sound odd without the bass; to fill out the last two chords, you could do

4 3 4 3 4 x
    3 2 3 2 3 x

Yes, I think that's the closest, but I think I'd still go for a Bb6 instead of an Ebmaj7. Same chord but just a Bb in the bass instead of an Eb.

Also, (just personal taste) but your suggestions for the final two chords might sound better without the 3rds, so they would be:
    4 x 4 3 4 x
    3 x 3 2 3 x

The thirds make them sound a bit muddy.

Based on looking at the clip it looks he's playing the Cm higher up with the root on the 6th string. Same notes, just a different position on the neck.
    2nd chord: Tell you what - I'll concede there could be a Bb in the chord, but it's an Eb 2nd inversion - how about that? :)
    Ok, now Viz could wipe the floor with me when it comes to theory, he's probably forgot more than I know. 

However I think he's basically playing this shape but he doesn't play straight as a chord, the thumb acts as a pedal tone so it's something like this

Slide into a Cm ....this voicing

8 10 10 8 8 8 

The a Bb with added 6 

6 x 8 7 8 6

Then he uses his thumb to pedal tone a major 3rd bass note of C in harmony  to the bass's Ab then a major third B to the bass's G ... while playing the triads Viz suggested so it's more like

x 3 4 3 4 x 

x 2 3 2 3 x 

But on the above you pedal tone so Bass note  \ Triad  \ Bass note \ Triad like kick \ snare etc

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Ok, now Viz could wipe the floor with me when it comes to theory, he's probably forgot more than I know. 

Pretty sure that's not true by the way!!

To your chords and Stratman's, it's all much of a muchness, but I had a go at all the versions of 43434x, 4x434x and x3434x (thumb over), and while they're all possible I just felt that he's playing a very light orchestration, ie xx434x; I can hear 3 notes at most and even one of them might even be my imagination - plus it's just so much simpler to snap to, without any loss in effect. So if it was me playing it I'd just stick to xx434x - I fluff all the other chords up at that speed! 

The Eb major (or Bb6 ;) ) - again if it were me I'd just do xx878x, or maximum x6878x so I just had one shape to deal with, but I'm lazy. 

Good chords banter :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Eb makes sense related to Cm - Cm is the natural minor of Eb (and you can use the notes from each scale interchangably)

Feedback
  • Thought with my extensive knowledge I should add to this thread so here goes.............

nice shoes! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom