Preamp / FX for acoustic guitar

my mate uses a Bose  system or  the  house PA when he plays live (solo act)
He's playing acoustic and singing
the  built in mixer and fx sounds  poor from the Bose - thin and fizzy
We were looking around at good  preamps that might give nice EQ,  reverb, compression

his main guitar has  a magnetic pickup, which sounds fine into my recording gear and monitors with no EQ
 Also he plays a tricone resonator with a  transducer
so maybe 2 inputs with different settings could be useful, but a single-channel one for  the  main guitar would still be worth considering

The fishman preamps look promising, but local shops don't stock them

any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    ToneControl said:

Avoid the Fishman Aura for that - they don't work well with magnetic pickups, body transducers or resonator guitars at all, they're best with a plain undersaddle transducer.

The Boss AD-5 is pretty nice and has both piezo and magnetic input options, although it doesn't have compression.

To be honest I would probably look at a small acoustic amp with two channels though - that will give you better control over your own sound and monitoring even if you're then connecting it to the PA as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    ToneControl said:

Avoid the Fishman Aura for that - they don't work well with magnetic pickups, body transducers or resonator guitars at all, they're best with a plain undersaddle transducer.

The Boss AD-5 is pretty nice and has both piezo and magnetic input options, although it doesn't have compression.

To be honest I would probably look at a small acoustic amp with two channels though - that will give you better control over your own sound and monitoring even if you're then connecting it to the PA as well.
    thanks for that
    I will look into the AD-5

unfortunately, he's disabled, and needs to travel light, so  would prefer not to take an amp. 
    He's looking at paying pro prices, if  cheaper stuff won't suffice

Originally I had pointed him to the Yamaha AG stomp, which I  found quite good, but that didn't work  out
    I see Radial do a few things, but I just haven't researched acoustic preamps much, for me it's either mic'd or into  my AxeFX2, which must be the most overlooked acoustic  preamp in existence - studio level reverbs, complex delays,  multi-band compressors and IR of guitar bodies, plus any other fun stuff.
  • Bias app has some acoustic stuff in an add on. May be worth a look if they have a smartphone/tablet and small interface
  • Bias app has some acoustic stuff in an add on. May be worth a look if they have a smartphone/tablet and small interface
    he's a bit old school for that, sorry
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited September 2016
    Is one of these too high-tech? Ignoring it's vocal processing abilities for guitar it's got EQ, reverb, compression and some other useful features like feedback busting, delays, chorus etc. The effects are TC Electronic ones like hall of fame, flashback, corona etc.

Possibly most importantly it's includes bodyrez, which anecdotally plays OK with transducers and magnetic pickups but I'm not sure about helping the resonator tone – might add a bit of body?

Adding a 3 switch will allow turning selected effects on the fly.

I ordered a b-stock one from thomann then realised I'd be better of with its bigger brother (voicelive 3), I'm waiting to hear if they'll let me return it if not I'll be looking to move it on for £190 posted (the price it cost me).
  • Would need an addition unit for the fx, but the Orchid pre-amp is well regarded -
    http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/acoustic.htm

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I used to use a Zoom 504II. I loved it so much I bought two. They're cheap, tiny and pretty easy to program. If your mate is interested I can part with one.

The Radial stuff is the nuts (I use a PZ-PRE) but it's not cheap.
  • Bidley said:
    I used to use a Zoom 504II. I loved it so much I bought two. They're cheap, tiny and pretty easy to program. If your mate is interested I can part with one.

the zoom would be  no good for him, PZ-pre might work, I wondered about those. EQ is shared  though isn't it?
  • Is one of these too high-tech? Ignoring it's vocal processing abilities for guitar it's got EQ, reverb, compression and some other useful features like feedback busting, delays, chorus etc. The effects are TC Electronic ones like hall of fame, flashback, corona etc.

Possibly most importantly it's includes bodyrez, which anecdotally plays OK with transducers and magnetic pickups but I'm not sure about helping the resonator tone – might add a bit of body?

I ordered a b-stock one from thomann then realised I'd be better of with its bigger brother (voicelive 3), I'm waiting to hear if they'll let me return it if not I'll be looking to move it on for £190 posted (the price it cost me).
    ta
    I'd send it back if I were you, the new price is less than £190 now btw, B stock is lower still
    I've passed on the recommendation, but I think if he got one he'd be better getting the 3 year warranty in his own name
  • Would need an addition unit for the fx, but the Orchid pre-amp is well regarded -

crazy price surely???

• I'd send it back if I were you, the new price is less than £190 now btw, B stock is lower still
    I've passed on the recommendation, but I think if he got one he'd be better getting the 3 year warranty in his own name
    Fair enough, thomann were fine about returning it and even paid the postage so it went off yesterday. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I have a Boss AD-3 great for de-Piezo-ing electo-acoustic sound + chorus/reverb

There's a full monty AD-8 these days too with all sorts of stuff.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Bidley said:

the zoom would be  no good for him, PZ-pre might work, I wondered about those. EQ is shared  though isn't it?
    Yeah the EQ is shared which is a bit of a pain. It's the only pedal (I could find) with two switchable inputs though, which is why I got it.
  • He's bought a TC, I will test it with him tonight

crazy price surely???
    Well, only as crazy as global economics?

As their website says, "Orchid products are hand made in small batches in the UK"

Orchid are a small UK company producing pro-spec electronics by hand - which is never going to be as cheap as Chinese-built mainstream brands. Crazy? Maybe, maybe not?

Even Feline guitars are struggling to make guitar production profitable/sustainable and they're not exactly cheap.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Would need an addition unit for the fx, but the Orchid pre-amp is well regarded -

crazy price surely???

As their website says, "Orchid products are hand made in small batches in the UK"

Orchid are a small UK company producing pro-spec electronics by hand - which is never going to be as cheap as Chinese-built mainstream brands. Crazy? Maybe, maybe not?

Even Feline guitars are struggling to make guitar production profitable/sustainable and they're not exactly cheap.

To be fair that may be down to fixed expenses and rising other costs in our case added to exhaustion on my part making things be less efficient than they ought to be.
    i agree with the point of small scale British made stuff having a higher price through labour costs and material costs as well as legislative burdens that may not exist in places like China

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

crazy price surely???

I'm not as  wound up as this sounds, so don't  take it to heart:
    Making simple electronics in small batches, by hand in the UK is not going to  compare well with Chinese factories, for  various reasons. It's not an adequate explanation though - what is the benefit to the user of having small-batch  electronics?
    Why aren't iPhones made this way?
    we are talking about a  single-channel preamp  with BMT + Vol, costing £180, and it looks like an old Maplin kit  tbh
  • Is one of these too high-tech? Ignoring it's vocal processing abilities for guitar it's got EQ, reverb, compression and some other useful features like feedback busting, delays, chorus etc. The effects are TC Electronic ones like hall of fame, flashback, corona etc.

well, we tested it, and it added an awful lot of noise to the guitar, and offered no real EQ options - Flat EQ or  guitar body IR that sounded like a stuck flanger. I did a factory reset to make sure I had not missed anything, no joy
    It seems to me it's mostly intended for vocalists I'm afraid

We revisited the Bose L1 mixer, which did better on its own

I now think he needs a 4 channel mixer, with 3 channel EQ, gate, comp and reverb on each channel
    any recommendations
  • I've been trying to find another Dennis Marshall Acoustic Preamp. I can't for the life of me find one... But keep an eye out for them as they are great. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited September 2016
    Would need an addition unit for the fx, but the Orchid pre-amp is well regarded -

crazy price surely???

I'm not as  wound up as this sounds, so don't  take it to heart:
    Making simple electronics in small batches, by hand in the UK is not going to  compare well with Chinese factories, for  various reasons. It's not an adequate explanation though - what is the benefit to the user of having small-batch  electronics?
    Why aren't iPhones made this way?
    we are talking about a  single-channel preamp  with BMT + Vol, costing £180, and it looks like an old Maplin kit  tbh
    The mass made Chinese stuff will use cheap surface mounted components, and probably lots of ICs.  I haven't looked inside one but I'd be willing to bet that the Orchid one will be high quality discrete components.  The Chinese ones wouldn't be so cheap if they used good quality discrete components.

If the Chinese built stuff in question comes from TC then in my experience you've only got about a 50% chance of it lasting 5 years without breaking as well.