7 String guitar muting

hey all - I've made the transition up to a 7 and im finding it a little harder to keep the low B and sometimes the G string clean, how do you guys go about muting? Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    When you say low B, do you mean the extra 7th string?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LewisWLewisW Frets: 17
    edited September 2016
    @viz yep the extra string - low B - I find even though my palm is resting on it, that at higher volume/gain settings it can still let out noise as it gets lightly nudged as I pick.. I have noticed that my whole hand does move a little too far down so doesnt cover it quite as well as I should, but thought I would still ask for some insight

Thanks!
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Hmm. I'd expect the high strings to be hard to mute but the lower ones should be ok. Maybe move your hand slightly up the string, not enough to sharpen it but enough to mute it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LewisWLewisW Frets: 17
    edited September 2016
    Thanks, will try that! - Ive seen a bunch of guys who anchor with their smallest finger under their bridge pickup, but when they travel up to play on the high b & e they leave the low B 'exposed' but somehow it doesnt ring like mine does... not sure if im just too heavy handed when moving my hand across strings etc..?