intermediate classical /acoustic/popular jazz repertoire for restaurant gigs - solo acoustic

nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited September 2016 in Acoustics
I fancy playing for my supper.  I can play classical reasonably well (when I get my guitar back).  Any suggestions on stuff to play in a restaurant environment - classical stuff, pop songs arranged for solo acoustic, fingerstyle jazz standards or stuff on the steel strung acoustic.

my sight reading is atrocious which is the main thing holding my development back (other than the classical has been with the guitar tech for a year)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited September 2016
    There's a great book of pop songs arranged for solo fingerstyle guitar (actually for classical guitar) that I have at home, I'll dig it out when I get back.

Everything from Metallica to Coldplay !

Songs from Martin Taylor's repertoire go down well too, e.g. Stella by Starlight, Teach Me Tonight, The Dolphin, Jonny & Mary (aka the Renault advert), the Stella Artois theme etc
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    mellowsun said:
    There's a great book of pop songs arranged for solo fingerstyle guitar (actually for classical guitar) that I have at home, I'll dig it out when I get back.

Everything from Metallica to Coldplay !

Songs from Martin Taylor's repertoire go down well too, e.g. Stella by Starlight, Teach Me Tonight, The Dolphin, Jonny & Mary (aka the Renault advert), the Stella Artois theme etc
    that would be fantastic; thanks
  • Have a look at Bridget Mermikides' book The Classical Guitar Compendium, it features a lot of popular tunes transcribed for guitar and comes with TAB.

Also, 'Travels' by Pat Metheny a nice laid back finger style piece.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    ta guys.  i've got some starter tabs off t'internet and I'll get a couple of the books in a while.  In the meantime i've tried to remove the tip of my index finger (fretting hand) - thank god for nails - i've removed a slice of nail but kept my finger intact so all playing is off for a few days!