Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Katana Head ......whadda we think?

What's Hot
snazzasnazza Frets: 38
appreciate this has just been announced - but does anyone have a view/hands on with these things yet? ..... looks intregueing ....and worryingly (am I really that much of a gear snob????) cheap!!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-head/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Controls on the top. Fail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    That's because it's got its own internal speakers! Now that is VERY interesting... A light weight high power head that competes with the Yamaha THR10...
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I'm looking to get one. Well, either the head or the 2x12 combo. Now I'm back to playing in mono the thought of a head and cab is more appealing to me for some reason. I'm so fed up of the gear rotation in my house, I'm seriously considering just using my jazz combo for, well straight ahead jazz and the Katana, a GT100 and just be done with it for heavier stuff.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2016
    ICBM said:
    On a serious note how many non rock/metal bands still use anything as tall as a halfstack?  It still isn't the best idea (you'll likely get feedback having to get that extra few inches closer to tweak, and are in an even worse position for listening to changes vs bending down in front of an amp)... but other than that most people will still easily be able to see down to the controls I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ugly looking thing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    On a serious note how many non rock/metal bands still use anything as tall as a halfstack?  It still isn't the best idea (you'll likely get feedback having to get that extra few inches closer to tweak, and are in an even worse position for listening to changes vs bending down in front of an amp)... but other than that most people will still easily be able to see down to the controls I think
    I have serious doubts that anyone rocking a full stack these days is going to use a £300 head. I think the Katana is meant as either a tabletop practice amp like the Yamaha or to be paired with a 4x12 at the most. 
  • After listening to the demos, it sounds good I reckon.  
  • I never said a full stack, they're almost completely extinct these days anyway, except for acts still trying to go for a certain look.

My point was most people these days are using smaller cabs so it is in theory easy enough to see top controls.  If you've got a taller setup, such as a 4x12 raised off the floor in some way (wheels etc) you might start having to lean over to see controls, which is obviously not ideal.  Personally I prefer two 4x12s side by side to a full stack anyway
    No I was actually agreeing with you, I just didn't word it very well! Personally, I could see top mounted controls on a 4x12 better than face mounted controls.
    ICBM said:
    On a serious note how many non rock/metal bands still use anything as tall as a halfstack?
    Everyone who puts the amp at the correct height. If it's not as tall as a half-stack it needs to be on a riser of some sort - or tilted back, which makes top controls even worse.

They're OK for very small combos that you're most likely to use at home, or just maybe at a gig where you have a small combo raised up so the controls are then about right, but I can't think of any head that fits either of those.

Admittedly I didn't realise that this is in fact a combo :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2904
    Based on the videos I've seen/heard so far, it sounds bloody awful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Not sure I'd call it a combo. A 5 inch speaker, even at a 100 watts, isn't going to get you very far at a gig.
  • why does it have a 5 inch speaker?

In this YouTube demo it does actually sound better than the Waza Craft.

It's hardly "the world's first BOSS Amplifier range", though… from the 80s:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/thumbs3/boss-mg-10-guitar-amplifier-469752.jpg

And it doesn't sound like the types of sound it's aimed at have changed much, even though the new ones does actually do them a lot better.

:)

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2016
    You can guarantee that the overdrives will sound shite 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Actually, on the demo ICBM posted it doesn't sound too bad. Quite nice cleans.
  • Sassafras said:
    Actually, on the demo ICBM posted it doesn't sound too bad. Quite nice cleans.
    Agree. 

The distorted tones aren't the greatest but they still sound better to my ears than ones of Fender Bassbreaker Series which in the videos I have come across do a fine job of a valve amp producing distorted tones of a bad solid state amp. 
  • It might not sound the best but as a standalone lightweight practice amp with foot switchable built in effects, that's also loud enough to double up as a backup gigging amp, it does have a certain appeal. The £320 price tag makes even more enticing.

The THR10 was dubbed as "the third amp", this is the second and third amp rolled into one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Hmm not loving the sounds from that demo.

I don't get why these amps always have: "token clean channel", "channel with more gain than you will use in most non metal gigs", "channel of insane over gained metal", "channel of pure white noise and 15 chained metal zones".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It does have loads of pedal fx though so you could just put a emulated Boss OD pedal infront of the clean channel.