cutting fret slots

What's Hot
can I cut fret slots with a tool from (for example) B&Q, or would I need to get some ridiculously expensive thingi from a luthier supplier?

I need guitarbuildingonabudget R US
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    A StewMac fret cutting saw & template guide isn't ridiculously expensive.

But you can do it without.

A craft type saw would work.  Just needs to be a thin enough blade so that frets don't fall out, and ideally with some means of rigging up a depth slot so that you don't cut too deep.  Then you need to measure the fret positions rather accurately to get them in *exactly* the right place.

I took the easy option and bought the StewMac stuff which works a treat.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited January 2014
    I also have the Stew Mac saw- get the Japanese saw- it cuts on the pull and you have more control.

I haven't tried any other saws as you need to get the right width.
    Too small and the frets won't get in, too wide and they will pop out.

I don't use a jig- it isn't hard to get the cuts to the right depth- just use even pressure.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    you won't find anything at B&Q, but you can sometime find japanese handsaws with the correct kerf in the UK.  it wont be cheaper than the stew-mac one but will save postage and customs

i use the stew-mac ones
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Just looked -  the stew mac ones are a bit expensive! (can't see me getting that past Mrs A!)

I might have to just get a slotted board for now, but I rather liked the idea of doing it myself. 
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I used an expo tools zona razor saw on the one neck I've built so far, worked just fine. Got it via eBay for about £12. Make sure you get the right size
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    edited January 2014
    ive had 3 or 4 fret saws, these are the best ive used by far.

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/luthier-tools/fretting/japanese-fret-slotting-saw-from-hosco-superior.html

EDIT: depending on what you are working on, I use a different kerf.. .53, .56 or .6mm
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    dean2371 said:
    Make sure you get the right size
    Just resurrecting this thread (hopefully!) - How do you know the right size?

I have a set of pre-bent frets that I bought a year ago, how would I know which saw would be appropriate for them?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672

you need to measure the tang width of the fret wire, or check stated tang dimesions wherever you brought it.  You want a saw with a kerf that is a hair wider than the fret tang width,  but narrower than the barbed sections of the tang

the problem is that not all alternative saws state the kerf width so you may need to email to see if it will work.  most proper fret saws should be clear on kerf width