Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Polite request to posters - Photobucket

What's Hot
clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
edited September 2016 in Help & Feedback
Please use a different platform. I read posts here on my Samsung phone and your photos don't appear when I click on your link.

If I'm lucky.

If I'm unlucky an advert appears but no photo.

If I'm really unlucky I get nothing but a jammed page and have to back out of everything to eventually end up on what I read 4 pages ago.

Thank you for reading this far.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yep. Photobucket is total arse jam. Use Dropbox or Google Drive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Is it definitely impossible for the forum software to be updated and get beyond all the issues people have with pictures? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That would be great  :)

It effs me off that someone will say, "this is my new stuff", link a photo on Photobucket, then wax lyrical about their new stuff, without mentioning what they've got :)

I can't see your photo! :) Surely the people using Photobucket have the same problem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I can't say I've noticed the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    clarkefan said:
    That would be great  :)

It effs me off that someone will say, "this is my new stuff", link a photo on Photobucket, then wax lyrical about their new stuff, without mentioning what they've got :)

I can't see your photo! :) Surely the people using Photobucket have the same problem?
    We've been moaning about photobucket since Mr Chi's time here but unfortunately a lot of people still use it.  90% of the time I see photobucket links I don't bother clicking them because it's usually just an ad or it opens my AppStore on the phone.  

Loads of excellent alternatives which don't have those problems.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    edited September 2016
    paul_c2 said:
    I see this A LOT.

if I click on the link, it takes about 20 seconds to see the image, within the photo bucket page loaded with ads.  You'd think clicking on a .jpg link it takes you to the direct link to the image...if only its that easy.

I just can't be bothered and I would exit the thread, if it's a sale thread, I'd leave too, it may be my loss in not buying that guitar but I would think from the seller's point of view, he also limits his audience by using photo bucket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I have issues with Photobucket when using the Kindle. Must be a mobile-device/Android thing. Must use those other sites for photo hosting - are they Android-friendly? 
  • I don't know about android, but you guys know you can now get Adblock for iPhones, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    Here, here.

Uploading and editing (rotating images) was a right ball-ache on Photobucket too. A few forumites recommended Imgur and I find it much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    paul_c2 said:
    I see this A LOT.

if I click on the link, it takes about 20 seconds to see the image, within the photo bucket page loaded with ads.  You'd think clicking on a .jpg link it takes you to the direct link to the image...if only its that easy.

I just can't be bothered and I would exit the thread, if it's a sale thread, I'd leave too, it may be my loss in not buying that guitar but I would think from the seller's point of view, he also limits his audience by using photo bucket.

I see what you mean now, its an Android-only thing? Or a mobile thing (not sure how Apple or Blackberry mobiles see it).

Yeah it needs solving, I thought it might just be the way posters put links to their photobucket pics in, I know there's a few different ways. Photobucket is a PITA to have to use, to upload pics too. Why not upload them directly to the forum's server, a lot of other forums have this capability and allow/enable it? That would mean no third party image hosting app would be needed at all, and would be the simplest solution?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    I am on an iPhone 6.
  • I avoid most ads now that use photo bucket as it's dreadful and very spammy especially on mobile devices 
  • I no longer click on photobucket links. Nine times out of ten I'll just get redirected to a spam ad or it will try and start the appstore on my phone.

I basically consider a scam site now.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The only time Photobucket seems to work (still a little laboriously) with my phone is when it's connected to wifi.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Isn't Photobucket ok when you paste in the direct link like this?:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:

Isn't Photobucket ok when you paste in the direct link like this?:

No. I see cars, not guitars!..& that's so f*cked  up! ;) 
    But, seriously, about 50% of Photobucket links direct me to spammy malware shite so I don't bother.. But maybe people are doing it wrong? Or does direct link only work right from a computer? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I keep forgetting not to use pb here but the regular posts asking for help with pics and occasional links that don't show pics from Dropbox, Flickr etc when other forums seem easier to post pics in, suggest that if there is any way of improving the forum software would be really helpful.  
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If your thread in the Classifieds has Photobucket links then a large number of your potential customers will not click on them. So don't waste your time using Photobucket. Simples!

Its not just ads - last time I looked it was blatant malware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Direct links works for me ok. I'm guessing why we aren't able to upload directly to fretboard servers is because there'll be a charge to us of some kind to pay for the space?.  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited September 2016
    I have thousands of images hosted on PB but now use Imgr exactly for all of the above reasons. I only have the malwareish issues when using android and following links. It's a real shame as PB  spam takes the joy out of so many posts on here.