DMX lighting options

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
edited September 2016 in Live
I've purchased 4 new PAR lights, with the intention of daisy-chaining them so they can run in a master / slave mode. However, even though they state it's possible, I'll be buggered if I can work out how to set the lights to the master or slave modes (these are them, as recommended in another thread - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyourlife-4PCS-18X3W-Led-Par-Can-Disco-lights-RGB-PAR64-DMX512-DJ-Stage-Lighting-/191855958071?hash=item2cab819837:g:d98AAOSwB4NW1Tqm)

So, I'm thinking of maybe going down the DMX controller route. I've never done this before, and it would need to be set in a way that it has minimal interaction during a gig - I'm assuming a few of you guys use this kind of setup, so I'd be keen on your input and advice.

I'm thinking if I did go this route, the easiest is to set it with an audio in from the kick drum and then change the colour on the lights. Anyone else do this?

Thanks all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    I presume that you either haven't got a manual, or its in pigeon Engrish. It should be possible to configure slave mode, which would certainly be cheaper and easier than launching into DMX.

What displays do you get when you press the Menu button repeatedly? Typically these Chinese made lights cycle through:
    1. A001, which is a DMX address
    2. AP01, which is an inbuilt chase sequence
    3. Soun, which is sound to light from an internal microphone
    4. Ob-3, which is slave mode. (The Obey-3 was an earlier DMX controller)
    If you can get three of the lights to Ob-3 mode then they will be slaves to the fourth.

If this doesn't work then there are a number of cheap DMX controllers around. I looked at the Foot-C, but eventually decided to go the software route. Using DMXIS on an old laptop I can set up lighting patterns, and trigger changes from a midi foot pedal. The software is more expensive than a Foot-C, but it gives much more control, and I've already got a laptop and a midi pedal.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Cheers; the manual is Chinglish, and when I cycle through the modes ther eis nothing to show any kind of slave mode. I get the D001 (for DMX), P (pulses), F (flash strobe), Soun (sound activated) R (red), G( Green) and B (Blue).

Think I'll just resign myself to having two on sound mode and the other two on a fixed colour :(
  • I've had a few of these cheap Chinese units and found that quite often that changing the DMX address number did the trick when trying to sync them up.

try doing it with one unit at a time connected to a colour changing master unit and try a few DMX addresses.

May work.......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150 said:

I've had a few of these cheap Chinese units and found that quite often that changing the DMX address number did the trick when trying to sync them up.

try doing it with one unit at a time connected to a colour changing master unit and try a few DMX addresses.

May work.......

What he said ^ 

The trouble with cheap Chinese lights is that more often than not they struggle to work with 'conventional' fixtures/controllers. and you tend to have to do more unconventional wiring to make things work! 

The company I work for just hired in some huge search light for an installation across a major city and in order to get the wireless DMX (which is very reliable) to work, we had to run the DMX through a different fixture to make it work. 

Generally, to get a reliable lighting rig, the cheapest I would go would be a brand like Chauvet, however I understand why the chinese stuff is appealing from a price point and generally should work (somehow) when you wire it up on it's with it's inbuilt programs. 

It normally is just a case of bad translation in the manual and a change of address or setting can often fix it! 

Hope you get it sorted. :) 
  • I have these exact lights and can confirm that master/slave should work, unless you've been given a dodgy set.

Try setting up like this, starting with all lights turned off.

> Turn one light on, set to DMX address 001.
    > Plug a DMX cable into DMX input.
    > Turn second light on and set it to a single colour mode.
    > Plug the same DMX cable into the output of this light.

The first light should then flash instantly to the colour set on the master light, and you should now be able to control it.
    If this doesn't work for you then I can't help until I have a chance to fetch mine from storage and set them up so I can remember exactly what I do. (Although i'm pretty sure those above instructions are right).
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited September 2016
    If you can't get them to work (sounds like you should be able to) I picked up a Chauvet Obey 10 DMX controller a while back. It's dead cheap, fairly simple and has a sound to light mode for automating things. Is it professional grade? - probably not but it's cheap and does the job. Should be able to find one for between £40 - £50. They also do others in the "Obey" range so I'd certainly have a look at the website.
    hassleham said:
    I have these exact lights and can confirm that master/slave should work, unless you've been given a dodgy set.

Try setting up like this, starting with all lights turned off.

> Turn one light on, set to DMX address 001.
    > Plug a DMX cable into DMX input.
    > Turn second light on and set it to a single colour mode.
    > Plug the same DMX cable into the output of this light.

The first light should then flash instantly to the colour set on the master light, and you should now be able to control it.
    If this doesn't work for you then I can't help until I have a chance to fetch mine from storage and set them up so I can remember exactly what I do. (Although i'm pretty sure those above instructions are right).
    Cheers mate - just tried it, but no luck :(

Very annoying!
  • Well that is irritating! 
    Im gigging Saturday so I will double check the method.
    hassleham said:
    Well that is irritating! 
    Im gigging Saturday so I will double check the method.
    Nice one - thanks mate, really appreciate it! Gigging tonight and tomorrow so will see how I get on with them set manually.
  • Hi,

So I set the lights up last night and checked how to set them up with master slave. It was as simple as putting the slave light on D001 (dmx channel 1) and then plugging in the master light and choosing one of the reset modes.
    If this is not working for you then the only thing I can think of is that there is a fault, as the ebay seller claims they work with master slave mode in the listing. 
    Definitely send them a message, they will either refund you or send replacements.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hassleham said:
    Hi,

So I set the lights up last night and checked how to set them up with master slave. It was as simple as putting the slave light on D001 (dmx channel 1) and then plugging in the master light and choosing one of the reset modes.
    If this is not working for you then the only thing I can think of is that there is a fault, as the ebay seller claims they work with master slave mode in the listing. 
    Definitely send them a message, they will either refund you or send replacements.

OK, cheers for taking a look :)