LTD EC-256 or PRS SE Singlecut

daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
So, anyone got experience of both and could recommend one over the other?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Had/got both...

LTD build quality in models under 401 isn't great. I've had and EC-256, EC-330 and H330 and they all developed faults of some kind and were returned. 

PRS SE on the other hand... had the soapbar one a few years back, great guitar. Got a Bernie Marsden now, which is superb. Well built, nice and chunky, easy to play. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    edited January 2014 tFB Trader
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684

Had/got both...

LTD build quality in models under 401 isn't great. I've had and EC-256, EC-330 and H330 and they all developed faults of some kind and were returned. 

PRS SE on the other hand... had the soapbar one a few years back, great guitar. Got a Bernie Marsden now, which is superb. Well built, nice and chunky, easy to play. 
    Cheers, that's pretty useful. I suppose the 401 is a better comparison to the SC based on price though.
    Cheers for the heads up, it's nice but this is going to have to be black

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    That's OK, I want a swap mine for a SE SC with Wide/Thin neck
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    Depends on your neck preference, thin u for esp or wider c for prs. In terms of quality not price I'd go prs.
  • Assuming the LTD is korean, it's made in the same factory as the PRS.  

Chances are it'll have a carved neck heel, which is nice.  Honestly, though, the LTD range at 400 and above is incredible and slaughters PRS for value (duncan or emg pickups, tonepros bridges, locking tuners, earvana nuts etc).  You do need to go up in the range, but I can't imagine that'll cost any more than a PRS SE?
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited January 2014
    550 quid gets you this

50 quid less gets you this 

The SE pickups are pretty naff in comparison.

The EC256 has a thinner than normal body, too.  Not something to put you off, but something worthy of consideration.  But in my opinion, the LTD 401 slays the similarly priced PRS.

They have no used value either (not looking forward to selling on my LTD later in the year, even though it's better spec'd than a lot of USA guitars).  
    edited January 2014
    I'll throw another one in the mix - the fender FMT telecaster.  Different shape, but made in the same korean factory, duncan pickups, quality hardware and carved away neck heel which is really great, coil tap too.  

Just to confuse things :)

EDIT: Just noticed the EC256 is a hundred quid less than even a hardtail PRS SE singlecut.  I'd get that, then put the spare hundred pay for a pair of oil city pickups.  It'll sound so much better.  The only thing to consider is the neck, which is a fairly thin U shape.  I love it :P
    I've tried the FMT tele not half bad but not my thing.

Another one that's occured to me is the Schecter Solo but I've never seen one in the flesh never mind played one.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If the prices are the same, the PRS is significantly better. Pickups are a bit lifeless though. If there is a price difference second hand, that makes it a little more difficult.
    edited January 2014
    DeeTee;128989" said:
    If the prices are the same, the PRS is significantly better. Pickups are a bit lifeless though. If there is a price difference second hand, that makes it a little more difficult.
    I'd go the other way to this opinion - when prs SE first started, they were great value but now they seem really expensive for guitars that have poor pickups and the hardware flakes the chrome off really quickly, with cheap pot metal underneath. The pots are decent quality, and the guitars are well built, but the hardware let's it down for what should be a mid spec guitar.

Ymmv etc. If you like a chunky neck, the se will be more comfortable, but if you want quality hardware and a guitar made by the same folks as the prs factory, I'd go for a 401 if you didn't like the tele. It's just miles better, especially if you like a slim neck. I think the 256 is a Chinese guitar, so I've no real experience but Ltd guitars don't hold value. You might even be able to get a classic ec1000 off eBay with Duncan Alnico 2s in it. That's a competitor to Gibson, and I've seen them go for less than 400 sheets.

Edit: 50 quid more than an se singlecut trem, but with genuine USA Duncan pickups, Tonepros hardware, locking tuners, compensated nut etc. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251409618711

There are actually a few more for less - a gold top one for 530, and a couple of used ones with bidding starting at 400 quid.

With a guitar like that, I wouldn't weigh it against a prs, I'd weigh it against a Gibson studio. It just goes to show how far an unpopular name goes - if this said prs on the headstock, it would double the value.
    edited January 2014
    If the choice was between a 401 and a PRS, I'd agree with you. Not a 256 though, especially if it's one of those weird worn finishes weighed against an older PRS SE (have to say I've no real experience with the newer ones).

I also thought of something: I assumed we were talking second hand. Is that the case?
    edited January 2014
    DeeTee;129368" said:
    If the choice was between a 401 and a PRS, I'd agree with you. Not a 256 though, especially if it's one of those weird worn finishes weighed against an older PRS SE (have to say I've no real experience with the newer ones).

I also thought of something: I assumed we were talking second hand. Is that the case?
    Oh yeah, those worn ones look like poo.

If used, it's more complex as I've seen 401s go silly cheap, and ec1000s normally go for 400. But then again, I've seen a Tremonti se with prs winged tuners and a Duncan jb in the bridge go for 150 quid. My mate got it on my advice - desperately needs a new bridge because the se one is a rusty, flakey pile of naff, but for that money, who cares? He sold the jb and bought a pair of irongear slash pickups, so he just needs to upgrade the bridge to a Tonepros wraparound and he's got an awesome instrument for, all in, about 250 quid.
    I let a used ec1000 go for £250 because I didn't have the cash at one point. That hurt, I can tell you!
  • DeeTee;129393" said:
    I let a used ec1000 go for £250 because I didn't have the cash at one point. That hurt, I can tell you!
    I fear that's all I'll get for my h1001. I might consider parting it out and selling separates.