Weird question but...

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30916
My Martin can sound a tad dead acoustically.

I removed the Fishman soundhole pickup- the difference is phenomenal.

Now, I can only assume that the Fishman was making the top overly rigid?

Thoughts?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That might be the case with u'r guitar Gas -
    I've got a Fishy RE Blend in the s/hole of a v/ responsive guitar and it (the guitar) sounds the same, with or without it ???.
    The rigidity thing - the sound board is pretty rigid around the S/h area - with all the braces etc,
    so I suspect by adding weight / mass it may be causing more 'damping' reducing the 'output' - again - on u'r guitar.
    Get a K&K Mini or McIntyre Feather.

• JJW1JJW1 Frets: 6
    My mate got annoyed with the transducers inside his Taylor rattling and removed them plus the three controls from the shoulder of the guitar,leaving three holes. Somehow the guitar sounded better. Must have been the three extra holes!
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited September 2016
    JJW1 said:
     Must have been the three extra holes!
    mini sound ports !

variation on a theme
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited September 2016
    JJW1 said:
     Must have been the three extra holes!
    mini sound ports !

variation on a theme
  • hu ?
  • Easier to retrieve lost plectrums!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Gassage said:
    My Martin can sound a tad dead acoustically.

I removed the Fishman soundhole pickup- the difference is phenomenal.

Now, I can only assume that the Fishman was making the top overly rigid?

Thoughts?
    I'd want to rule out confirmation bias but yes, making the soundboard stiffer will raise the resonant frequency of the guitar, making it sound thinner and less full.
    Whether a soundhole pickup can do this I don't know.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The pickup also blocks a significant proportion of the soundhole area. The soundhole size is quite carefully chosen, and in fact Martin used to do a signature model (I forget whose) with a soundhole 1/8" larger than standard. If you can hear a difference from that you can certainly hear a difference from reducing it by maybe 10% with a pickup.

Adding mass almost anywhere on an acoustic guitar can change its resonance too.

This is another reason why I still like a basic undersaddle or soundboard transducer and an endpin jack in the guitar, nothing more. You can do all the rest better offboard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited September 2016
    ICBM said:
    The soundhole size is quite carefully chosen, and in fact Martin used to do a signature model (I forget whose) with a soundhole 1/8" larger than standard.
    Probably Clarence White.

There's quite a fetishisation about large soundholes in bluegrass circles because of one individual guitar - a '35 D-28 owned first by Clarence White and then by Tony Rice, and quite a few high end makers have made versions of it.

It's all about the Herzog something or other. 

The irony being that there's so much other stuff going on with that guitar that it's impossible to put its tonal characteristics down to just the soundhole e.g. the body is about 1/8th of an inch smaller all over than it should be, it was restored after a flood etc etc
    ICBM said:

This is another reason why I still like a basic undersaddle or soundboard transducer and an endpin jack in the guitar, nothing more. You can do all the rest better offboard.
    I agree.

Acoustic guitars with onboard preamps are a bit of a problem for me.
    Gouging out a big part of the instrument's side and stick a box of electronics in it can only have a detrimental effect.
    The choice to do it is a marketing/business decision, I guess- it isn't cost effective to bundle a high end acoustic guitar with a preamp pedal.
    For my own builds I plan on doing no more than you suggest- an undersaddle pickup wired to an endpin output.

Lewy said:
    ICBM said:
    The soundhole size is quite carefully chosen, and in fact Martin used to do a signature model (I forget whose) with a soundhole 1/8" larger than standard.
    Probably Clarence White.

There's quite a fetishisation about large soundholes in bluegrass circles because of one individual guitar - a '35 D-28 owned first by Clarence White and then by Tony Rice, and quite a few high end makers have made versions of it.

It's all about the Herzog something or other. 

The irony being that there's so much other stuff going on with that guitar that it's impossible to put its tonal characteristics down to just the soundhole e.g. the body is about 1/8th of an inch smaller all over than it should be, it was restored after a flood etc etc
    Helmholtz. 
    A guitar acts in a similar way to a Helmholtz resonator.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    I've just removed the FIshman.

The transformation is staggering- strident, toppy, exactly as you'd expect an 00028 to be.

Massive change in volume and tone. Huge.

• +1 for @ICBM and @octatonic ;.  I just don't like the un-amplified sound of electro-acoustics compared to pure acoustics. But then, I don't usually play acoustic guitar onstage. I do have one guitar with a passive K&K pickup - the un-amplified sound is unchanged to my ears and (with pre-amp assistance) the amplified sound isn't bad either, but I've never used it anywhere bigger than a coffee shop or small pub room and certainly never played it within a rock band context. 
  • I must admit I never liked the sound of my Martin OM with a Fishman neo D sound hole pickup, it wasn't long before the Fishman was removed and sold on eBay.
    I must admit I never liked the sound of my Martin OM with a Fishman neo D sound hole pickup, it wasn't long before the Fishman was removed and sold on eBay.
    DId you find it made a diff to the acoustic sound?

• Gassage said:
    I must admit I never liked the sound of my Martin OM with a Fishman neo D sound hole pickup, it wasn't long before the Fishman was removed and sold on eBay.
    My main issue was with the plugged in sound, but it did seem counterintuitive to buy a guitar with forward shifted scalloped bracing and then attach a big piece of plastic to it from a solely acoustic point of view.
    Gassage said:
    My main issue was with the plugged in sound, but it did seem counterintuitive to buy a guitar with forward shifted scalloped bracing and then attach a big piece of plastic to it from a solely acoustic point of view.
    Well, I'm 100% sure that it's added maybe 20-25% to projection and volume by removing it.

• Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Well, I'm 100% sure that it's added maybe 20-25% to projection and volume by removing it.
    Yes, I agree, as ICBM stated above - Adding mass almost anywhere on an acoustic guitar can change its resonance too. 

• Not quite a Martin but I have a sigma 15 Martin copy basically and there is a definite difference acoustically when I take out my fishman  rare earth pickup
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited October 2016
    I too removed my fishman pickup out of my m36 and I liked the difference.I brought a condenser mic which I use on the 12th fret.This sounds more natural to me and a lot more comfortable.