Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Losing weight is the easy bit..

What's Hot
Keeping the weight down afterwards is very very hard. Anyone have any helpful tips ...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Don't eat more calories than you take in.

Drink less booze if you're a drinker.

Take up smoking.

Get your jaws wired.

Everyone knows what a sensible diet is, sticking to it is the tough bit, but it's basically down to will power and that's something that can only come from yourself.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • If your intake was about 1400 Kcal per day to lose weight then it's probably about 1800 to maintain it.

Different for everyone of course, but what you can't do is go back to stuffing your face to pre-loss levels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited September 2016
    If takeaways are/were your thing, make your own.  They still taste a bit of a treat on a Friday but inevitably contain a fraction of the calories.  Have you ever looked at Domino's Pizza's nutrition guide?  Fuck me.  If the pizzas don't give you a coronary, seeing how many calories are in the bloody things certainly will.

It's not hard to bang together a half-respectable curry, or a homemade burger, and pizza made with a sheet of puff pastry, puree and whatever you fancy bunged on top is pretty good too.

It's how I do it anyway - gawd I love a takeaway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I know you have not been well but....Exercise.
    My experience is that walking 2 miles every day (not most days. Every day) will eventually have an impact on metabolism. (I probably should not make such a claim because I don't know the first thing about metabolism).
    I am just saying that after 12 months, maybe 18 months of daily walking something very odd happened.
    I returned to the position I was in 20 years earlier - able to eat anything I want without gaining any weight.
    Walking = Brisk Walking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Skipped said:
    I know you have not been well but....Exercise.
    My experience is that walking 2 miles every day (not most days. Every day) will eventually have an impact on metabolism. (I probably should not make such a claim because I don't know the first thing about metabolism).
    I am just saying that after 12 months, maybe 18 months of daily walking something very odd happened.
    I returned to the position I was in 20 years earlier - able to eat anything I want without gaining any weight.
    Walking = Brisk Walking.

Absolutely this too - if you're up to it, walking every day works wonders.  I manage about five miles most days and it does untold wonders for your wellbeing (and waist size).

Doesn't have to be as far, but get the blood pumping for 30 minutes a day.  Metabolism, mental wellbeing, the job lot, it's the business.  Try and make it part of a routine (walk to work, that sort of thing) so it doesn't become an extra chore to tick off the list when you're knackered at the end of the day.

• I'm a big fan of high-fat/low-carb diets. 
    alas, I'm a dodgey sales bloke, so have to take customers out for a beer and a curry once in a while. 

I eat very well, and lose weight quickly, but the slighted sip of booze, and I swell up like a balloon. 

I really should quit booze. But, I'm Irish....
  • TheMarlin said:

I really should quit booze. But, I'm Irish....

I thought the Irish were mostly teetotal. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I've lost a few pounds recently just by stopping with beer. I have a glass of wine instead but it's also full of calories, but nothing like as many as beer! 

Also just make an effort to eat smaller portions and as said above, keep moving. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Get a younger wife.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't diet. It's unsustainable. 
    Change your activity levels slightly and reduce the foods that should be considered treats but have crept into your life as staple parts of your food intake. 
    Watch your sugar and fat intake. Don't buy far free foods, they add more sugar to make up for the lack in taste. Eat what you want but just less of it, 2 rashers of bacon instead of 3 ,that kind of thing. 

Its all all common sense really once you've educated yourself into the hidden traps of food. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Last time I lost weight I was single..since piled on the pound's. Also not done any exercise in ages. Need to get back on it.
    I used to stick to myfitnesspal religiously. I stopped eating meat about three months ago. Although I think I'm making healthier food choices by default. I can still eat a lot of junk food. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Have the occasional 'fast' day where you skip a meal. The ideal is said to be eat the first meal later in the morning and the last meal early in the evening so that the overnight fasting is for a longer period.

No silver bullet on this one. you get out what you put in and keep putting in.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    octatonic said:
    Get a younger wife.
    Yes, preferrably someone elses to keep the costs down ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    I have lost 4 stone since may and to ensure it stays off I turned Vegan and exercise daily.   You need to adopt a lifestyle I think
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Going vegan will certainly make your life feel much longer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    after losing weight, don't consider what you've done to be a diet cos they are temporary..
    consider it to be a new lifestyle
    play every note as if it were your first
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Don't buy any processed food. I cook from scratch every night, and it rarely takes longer than 20 minutes to chuck something healthy together. 

I haven't bought a packaged ready meal for years.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My superpower is knowing the best way to eat junk food no matter what, whether vegan, on a budget or any other parameter. Being vegan didn't help much, chilli doritos, oreos, all sorts of junk food is still suitable. But I am maintaining a weight lower than six and a half stone after years of being 18+. Still got a bit more to go, and it comes off in bits here and there. All that works is eating less, eventually your appetite will adjust.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    My superpower is knowing the best way to eat junk food no matter what, whether vegan, on a budget or any other parameter. Being vegan didn't help much, chilli doritos, oreos, all sorts of junk food is still suitable. But I am maintaining a weight lower than six and a half stone after years of being 18+. Still got a bit more to go, and it comes off in bits here and there. All that works is eating less, eventually your appetite will adjust.
    6 1/2 stone is dangerously low mate, have a biscuit x

lloyd said:
    holnrew said:
    6 1/2 stone is dangerously low mate, have a biscuit x
    Also it's a desperately shit superpower, like megs on family guy :/