Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guild S-100 Polara vs Gibson SG

What's Hot
Being a Strat owner, I need of a guitar with humbuckers. I’ve been looking at SG’s for some time and think they’re fantastic after trying a couple out. However, being a big Soundgarden fan, the Guild S-100 Polara has caught my eye, being Kim Thayil’s no.1. The new re-issue is about £600- £650, but is not that widely stocked by UK stores so I have never seen one myself. Has anyone played the new S-100 reissue? I’d be interested to know how it plays and sounds in comparison with an SG. Also, how are the clean sounds? Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited September 2016

Thanks; I've read a few reviews; are there any further insights from forum members who may have owned an S-100?

• Don't forget the Dearmond models from the '90s too. Cheap and decent quality.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Don't know about the sound but the Polara has a poly finish, while SG is nitro. I know which way I'd go which is a pity as the Polara has a sweet look.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Not tried a new reissue but sold a few original 70's and 80s models in the past so I'll comment on that

If you judged the Gibson v the Guild on build quality, then nothing in it - maybe even give the bonus points to the Guild
    If you judge it on appearance then that is up to you
    If you base it on resale value and potentially how quick it would sell then Gibson wins

Based on feel, tonal character and playing performance - granted it is an opinion, but I've always felt as though something is wrong with the Guild - doesn't quite do it and maybe I've never put a finger on it as to why - It is not about star hero worship for me and an endless list of known players with an SG - But somehow the Guild never quite felt right and sounded right - Yet there is something cool about them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Not tried a new reissue but sold a few original 70's and 80s models in the past so I'll comment on that

If you judged the Gibson v the Guild on build quality, then nothing in it - maybe even give the bonus points to the Guild
    If you judge it on appearance then that is up to you
    If you base it on resale value and potentially how quick it would sell then Gibson wins

Based on feel, tonal character and playing performance - granted it is an opinion, but I've always felt as though something is wrong with the Guild - doesn't quite do it and maybe I've never put a finger on it as to why - It is not about star hero worship for me and an endless list of known players with an SG - But somehow the Guild never quite felt right and sounded right - Yet there is something cool about them
    THIS.

I played in a band with someone who was a Soundgarden fanatic and he tracked down an original Polara. It had a sound of its own - brighter, slightly 'honky'  - but it never sounded 'great'. He also had an SG (three pickup Custom) that sounded *so* much better to my ears through the same amp. TBH, Ian eventually agreed with me... not sure if he still has it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited September 2016
    Interesting comments.  The new pickups are meant to recreate the originals... they must be an acquired taste.

There is a hint on Guild's Instagram of a Kim Thayil signature in the works.....could be very interesting indeed, if kept within an affordable price range (unlike the amazing yet impossible to own Soundgarden Deusenberg 3k job)

• JezWynd said:
    Don't know about the sound but the Polara has a poly finish, while SG is nitro. I know which way I'd go which is a pity as the Polara has a sweet look.
    So exclude how it plays or sounds and make your decision based on the type of paint???
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JezWynd said:
    So exclude how it plays or sounds and make your decision based on the type of paint???

I thinks there's a bit more to 'the type of paint'... and how it influences tone etc... but that's been subject to debate for many long years.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    JezWynd said:
    More based upon my own experience of how a thin nitro finish plays and sounds better than a poly finish, esp. the thick poly finish that Fender lay on their guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's Guild's tease for a Kim Thayil signature S-100 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited October 2016
    It looks like a cool guitar and will probably balance better than an SG
    For consideration:
    Probably made in the Far East and you can get  used faded US SG for less money (if that makes a difference to you)
    Chris Cornell played 90% of the guitar on Superunknown (Thayil did solos & other bits) and used vintage Gretsch Jets. You will note his new signature 335 has filtertrons ;)
  • It looks like a cool guitar and will probably balance better than an SG
    For consideration:
    Probably made in the Far East and you can get  used faded US SG for less money (if that makes a difference to you)
    Chris Cornell played 90% of the guitar on Superunknown (Thayil did solos & other bits) and used vintage Gretsch Jets. You will note his new signature 335 has filtertrons ;)
    Cornell wrote most of my fave Soundgarden riffs afaik. 

Outshined
    Rusty Cage
    Spoonman
    Jesus Christ Pose
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Chris Cornell has written many of SG’s best songs and riffs, but I fee duty bound to big up Kim’s contribution!

In interviews he states that they all chip in with songwriting; whoever came with the main riff is usually given the songwriting credit,   but all four members contribute.

He is credited as writer or co-writer on many Soundgarden classics, such as Jesus Christ Pose (all four credited), My Wave, Limo Wreck, Get on the Snake, Incessant Mace. He wrote two of the best songs on the hit and miss King Animal (thousand days before and blood on the valley floor). He did write much more in the early days, but the other members’ contribution grew. The great thing about SG is that all four contribute songs, e.g.  Ben Sheperd with Head Down, Dusty, Slaves & Bulldozers, Somewhere, Matt Cameron with Mailman, Drawing Flies, Room a thousand years, Fresh Tendrils etc. Such a great band, I have seen the play three times.

Kim Thayil's wah soaked, off the wall solos and dark textures are integral to the SG sound e.g. the superunknown and like suicide solos.

I must get myself to a shop that stocks the s-100 so that I can try one out. .

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    SGs are great guitars.  (If you do go that route then I've got one I'm thinking of selling although it's currently got a bucker sized P90 in the neck position).

You may or may not like the styling but something like a second hand PRS Mira or S2 Standard would be worth a look as well. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769

Chris Cornell has written many of SG’s best songs and riffs, but I fee duty bound to big up Kim’s contribution!

In interviews he states that they all chip in with songwriting; whoever came with the main riff is usually given the songwriting credit,   but all four members contribute.

He is credited as writer or co-writer on many Soundgarden classics, such as Jesus Christ Pose (all four credited), My Wave, Limo Wreck, Get on the Snake, Incessant Mace. He wrote two of the best songs on the hit and miss King Animal (thousand days before and blood on the valley floor). He did write much more in the early days, but the other members’ contribution grew. The great thing about SG is that all four contribute songs, e.g.  Ben Sheperd with Head Down, Dusty, Slaves & Bulldozers, Somewhere, Matt Cameron with Mailman, Drawing Flies, Room a thousand years, Fresh Tendrils etc. Such a great band, I have seen the play three times.

Kim Thayil's wah soaked, off the wall solos and dark textures are integral to the SG sound e.g. the superunknown and like suicide solos.

I must get myself to a shop that stocks the s-100 so that I can try one out. .

Wow! Would have dug to see them live. I've not followed much of the earlier work, I've just read in detail on the making of Superunknown per Michael Beinhorn. Matt Cameron is one of my favourite drummers ( I could air drum to pretty noose all day) Fresh Tendrils is my current fave.

edited October 2016
    Saw them at Reading 95, Wolves Civic Hall 97, and at Hyde Park three or four years ago. Yes the drumming and production on Superunknown is so good. 

I'm going to wait to find more on the forthcoming Kim Thayil s100 signature before doing anything. It could be the one for me, he is a major influence on me

Currently loving Limo Wreck

• dr150dr150 Frets: 1
    1.) If you sell your guitars frequently, get the Gibson.
      2.) If you prefer quality, get the Guild.
  • dr150dr150 Frets: 1
    1.) If you sell your guitars frequently, get the Gibson.
      2.) If you prefer quality, get the Guild.
  •   Resurrecting this thread to ask if there are others who have played an S-100 Polara re-issue? I still have not got to try one and am still GASing for a humbuckered guitar undecided between a S-100 or an SG (with a Vintage Lemon Drop now also under consideration). In particular I wonder how big the neck is, it's described as a 'soft' U. I would not want too thick a neck as I have smallish hands.  

(Sadly with the demise of Soundgarden I doubt that a Kim Thaiyl signature will see the light of day)   :'(