Now sorted. PA Speakers??? Help

ellangusellangus Frets: 250
edited September 2016 in Live
My son's band have just taken a rehearsal room and now require some PA speakers.

They have a Carlsbro 5 channel powered mixer and a pair of speaker stands and one unidentified speaker and another which doesn't work also unbranded but different!! (This will ultimately cost them £80 as it stands).

They're looking to buy a pair of matched PA speakers to go with the above. 

The PA system will only ever be used in the rehearsal room, never for gigs

Their budget is £150ish for a pair of speakers OR
£250 MAX for a full system.

Any advice welcome. 

If anyone has anything to sell - it would need to be not too far from Oldham area.

Thanks all.

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Carlsbro is fine if it's recent enough to have XLR inputs, and if not it's cheaper to buy some line transformers than a new PA head. They're reliable and you don't need any more than 120/150W (whichever version it is) for a rehearsal room.

You'll easily get something like a pair of Peavey Eurosys 3s for well under £150, possibly under £100. Just check all the tweeters are working (there are dual units in the horns on these) and you're good to go - it's much rarer for the bass drivers to be blown. There are many other brands/models in that price range too, lower-spec old PA gear does not hold its value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• These would do the job for cheap..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers-monitors/carlsbro-alpha-15-pa-speakers/1187422877

Keep checking gumtree, loads of people get rid of passive speakers on there. I saw a bunch of peavey speakers going cheap earlier but now I can't find the ad!
  • hassleham said:
    These would do the job for cheap..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers-monitors/carlsbro-alpha-15-pa-speakers/1187422877

Keep checking gumtree, loads of people get rid of passive speakers on there. I saw a bunch of peavey speakers going cheap earlier but now I can't find the ad!
    Thanks for that - They're all sorted now - just.
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.