J-45 and J-45-alikes : school me

What's Hot
I have a gaseous upsurging - it is for a J-45

They have a place in my mind as iconic, cool-looking, do-it-all benchmarks of acoustic goodness. 

Now, unemployed as I am currently, I'd get killed if I bought one right now - so to sate my need let's talk about them (so that once I find employment I can go for it :-)

Are there other J-45-alikes that retain some of the vibe that are also worth looking at? 

I suspect I'd look used initially (I see them up for/go for £1200-ish)

Thoughts, experiences, opinions, stories - let's hear them :-) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah, this is one of my 'ones that got away' stories. I'm a left hander, so J-45s for me are as rare as rocking horse doo doo and Scottish Tory MPs. 

Anyway, I could have got one for £900 a few years back. Played it for ages in a shop. Loved the neck. Loved the sound. Decent sound plugged in too. Had heard the 'great all rounder' opinion and I can vouch that it's valid: strong sound when strummed hard, not shabby at all as a picker. 

In the end I didn't get it but I'll never say never. 

I have to be honest and say that even more than their adaptability I personally like the looks. And I also adore the look of the J50, the 'Davey Graham' guitar. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4201
    Do-it-all is a good description I'd say. They sound good strummed, flatpicked and fingerpicked. Easy playability courtesy of the short scale length.

The classic J45 recipe is a spruce top and mahogany back and sides. It's a warm and quite dry sound. You won't find yourself strumming  it and marvelling at all the complex harmonic content, but it'll also never sound bad in any setting either courtesy of that fundamental sound. 

Everything you know of Gibson applies to these too in terms of build, attention to detail etc. The inside of mine looks like it was done by someone going through heroine withdrawal but it feels and sounds great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also, I've been very impressed with the J-35s I've heard. If you're not bothered about the sunburst I'd definitely consider one of those over a standard J45.
  • I've heard good things about the Sigma version:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=987
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    I've heard good things about the Sigma version
    That's cheeky, given that Sigma used to be Martin's budget brand - although I think they're independent now.

It does look nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I've heard good things about the Sigma version
    That's cheeky, given that Sigma used to be Martin's budget brand - although I think they're independent now.

It does look nice.
    I particularly like the fact that they've put a vintage style small straight bridge on that Sigma. I'm assuming it's laminate back and sides...
  • Ralph McTell uses J45s a lot. Such a fine guitar player.  
  • If they say "solid spruce top" and "mahogany back/sides" then the omission of the word "solid" is understood to mean laminate. Just a little trick they use to deliberately mislead the buyer.

Anybody here in marketing and advertising? Kill yourselves.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

These are worth a punt if you see one too - http://guildguitars.com/g/14-fret-slope-shoulder-mh/

They come in sunburst too if that's your thing. Discontinued now but I have seen stock available at significantly less than RRP.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    Gagaryn said:

These are worth a punt if you see one too - http://guildguitars.com/g/14-fret-slope-shoulder-mh/

They come in sunburst too if that's your thing. Discontinued now but I have seen stock available at significantly less than RRP.

I'm a bit confused about Guild to be honest - is the whole brand now sold off and a different company than ever it was? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:

I'm a bit confused about Guild to be honest - is the whole brand now sold off and a different company than ever it was? 
    At one point Fender bought them out as a way to get into the premium acoustic market.  I think they were still made in a separate factory to Fender as a standalone operation.  Not sure of the latest status though.
    crunchman said:
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:

At one point Fender bought them out as a way to get into the premium acoustic market.  I think they were still made in a separate factory to Fender as a standalone operation.  Not sure of the latest status though.
    I thought I recall hearing that Fender sold the brand on and that it's now just a budget far east operation with a legacy brand name... I may be wrong - anyone know? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    crunchman said:
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:

I thought I recall hearing that Fender sold the brand on and that it's now just a budget far east operation with a legacy brand name... I may be wrong - anyone know? 
    I believe there is a factory in Santa Monica for the US made guitars.

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    Jason said:
    TimmyO said:
    crunchman said:
    TimmyO said:
    Gagaryn said:

I believe there is a factory in Santa Monica for the US made guitars.

From a man who knows about these things - cheers @Jason ;
    Red ones are better. 
    From their website, it looks like they've only got two models in US production at the moment (both all-mahogany guitars)....

http://guildguitars.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/guild-usa/
    tFB Trader

From a man who knows about these things - cheers @Jason ;
    That may be pushing things, it was a conversation a week ago in relation to "what to do with any spare time at NAMM"

So far, Shopping, SoCal Guitar Show, Norman's Rare Guitars, Venice Beach, Saturday night (have you booked a table yet??) and then maybe go into the show, if we really have too :)

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    tFB Trader
    Oh and I was going to say, I had a J45, it recorded brilliantly, but I hated the sound of it when I was playing on my own, I guess thats to do with the projection of the sound, but as I recorded waaaayyy less than play sitting on my own, I sold it and got a Hummingbird, which I love (for both)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Gagaryn said:

Just out of interest, how much less? Because of your post I did a cursory online check and the price I found (for a rosewood back/sides version) was almost £4000! That's 2-3 times what a J45 goes for... :D