Post yer 5W beauties

What's Hot
paulkpaulk Frets: 318
OK folks, post your 5 watt babies! Here's mine, a Valve Bimbo.1 x JJ Tesla E34L, 1 x ECC83, 1 x 12AX7B, 1 x G12-75 Celestion. Gets mostly used in the studio but have miked it up a couple of times for gigs. My mini Marshall.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited January 2014
    nice build @misterg.   ; What led to use the different types of caps?  Also what's the tube socket beside the EL84 for?
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    @misterg That's lovely!

Converted Vox Pathfinder to early 60's AC4 circuit using transformers and other parts from an early 60's Philips reel to reel tape recorder.  My first home build. 

Outputs into a Weber alnico 8" which makes it sound bigger than it should.  Really nice tremolo, now I've got it fettled.

imageimage

• MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    Thanks! :)
    ESchap said:
    What led to use the different types of caps?  Also what's the tube socket beside the EL84 for?
    To be honest, the caps were what I had in my parts drawers at the time (I try to get decent quality polyester as a rule). I did design this from scratch and spent a lot of time tweaking cap values especially, so there's a right mish-mash parts in there (and some hot soldering iron scars).  I'm not a great subscriber to the magic capacitor mojo theory, but the 'treble' cap in the (FMV) tonestack is a salvaged polystyrene that I had been saving. Everything to the left of the 2 yellow caps in the middle of the board are tremolo, so not special at all.

There's an octal socket next to the EL84 so I could run a 6V6 instead. (I tried it once and didn't really like it.)

The amp has a lovely clean & crunch sound and the tremolo sounds very nice (IMHO, of course!).

I like your AC4, too :)  (did I see it on TAG?)

edited January 2014
    Misterg said:
    Thanks! :)
    ESchap said:
    What led to use the different types of caps?  Also what's the tube socket beside the EL84 for?
    To be honest, the caps were what I had in my parts drawers at the time (I try to get decent quality polyester as a rule). I did design this from scratch and spent a lot of time tweaking cap values especially, so there's a right mish-mash parts in there (and some hot soldering iron scars).  I'm not a great subscriber to the magic capacitor mojo theory, but the 'treble' cap in the (FMV) tonestack is a salvaged polystyrene that I had been saving. Everything to the left of the 2 yellow caps in the middle of the board are tremolo, so not special at all.

There's an octal socket next to the EL84 so I could run a 6V6 instead. (I tried it once and didn't really like it.)

The amp has a lovely clean & crunch sound and the tremolo sounds very nice (IMHO, of course!).

I like your AC4, too :)  (did I see it on TAG?)

I thought the octal was perhaps for a rectifier then I saw it was wired to the 6.3v heaters.  I'm not a great fan of 6V6's either.  I wondered if you'd been raiding the parts bin for the caps but didn't want to insult you!  I did the same with the AC4, I used salvaged Mustards for the coupling caps but Mallory's for the tremolo.  Yes I posted this on TAG a while back.  They do like a recycled .. or as they call it ... "repurposed"(!) amp build on there.
    @paulk ; I hadn't heard of your amp so just had a look on the manufactures website.   Sounds impressive in the clips on there.  Have you tried any other output valve types in it?  It seems you can pretty much use any output valve you like! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited November 2015

http://imgur.com/telkQir.jpg

1964 Centurion Hi-Fi Five

It's a large (but very light) 2x8" 5W EF86, EL84 & EZ80 circuit that's not far from a Vox AC4 without tremolo.

It's the same model that was my first ever amp in 1985 - which I sold when I got my first Marshall, and then later missed - it's not valuable, but very rare... I've been looking for one for about fifteen years, and someone on here very kindly sold it on to me after he'd bought it locally. (Thanks Jonny!)

I had to do a little work on it - replace the electrolytics and a couple of resistors, and re-arranged the input network so the volume control is after the EF86 and not before - to cut down the quite severe background hum it has, but it's otherwise all-original including the valves… and unfortunately the back panel, which some twit cut up to make it an open-back. (I'll need to make a new one, but sadly getting a match for the polka-dot vinyl is likely to be impossible.)

It's not that loud but it does put out a solid 5W when it's cranked. However, hi-fi it is not! It has a fair amount of gain, a typical single-ended rasp to it, but is surprisingly deep and resonant-sounding - I think the oversized but very thin ply cabinet is mostly responsible… the Elac 8s are quite efficient too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ESchap I've not yet tried different tubes in it, no. I'm sure I will at some point though.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    @Misterg - Wow, that's nice.  Did Zac Drummond make the case?
    @ICBM Super!
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited January 2014
    Fender '57 Champ reissue

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I thought this thread was gonna be full of blackstars, instead I've got an amp hard-on. Lovely stuff in here!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    edited January 2014
    I had one of these little chaps

Now benefitting from the use - and TLC - of @Phil_aka_Pip
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2014

Fender '57 Tweed Champ .. a great sounding little amp. Not cheap, but I love the tones.image

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2014
    not had a 5w,    but Ive had a 7w  -  does that count ?   :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    edited January 2014
    Mines in mini stack form.. Blackheart BH5 rat modded. 
    Cheers Baz
  • First Lady or C7 Bertie?
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    daveww said:
    @Misterg - Wow, that's nice.  Did Zac Drummond make the case?

I think you flatter me and do him a disservice - The case was just me, B&Q shelf board and some Gorilla glue.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Victoria 5112. Have had other champ based amps over the years, but this is leagues ahead imo. Sounds great at all volumes. Swart Night Light attenuator on the top work flawlessly with this amp, great rock tones at comfortable house volumes.

It weighs about 11 kilos as well.