Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rivolta Guitars by Dennis Fano

What's Hot
DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
edited October 2016 in Guitar
Exciting news if you like Dennis Fano's guitar designs...in collaboration with Eastwood Custom Shop Dennis has a new line..Rivolta guitars...Delivery is expected in February 2017 ...price is £1099 for the Combinita hardtail model and £1199 for the Combinita Deluxe with Duesenberg Les Trem II 
http://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars-rivolta-c-21_510.html
http://rivolta.andygio.com/
http://imgur.com/a/0xckA

COMBINATA

The COMBINATA is the evolution of a design which followers of Dennis Fano should be very familiar. The larger and slightly offset body give the COMBINATA a shapely silhouette and more substantial feel. The chambered mahogany body features a German carve top (mahogany on metallics, maple on burst). The 25″ scale maple set-neck sports the comfortably chunky “Rivolta C+” neck profile, with 24 medium jumbo frets and a bound rosewood fingerboard.

The COMBINATA is available in four color choices – Adriatic Blue Metallic, Pomodoro Red Metallic, Toro Black Metallic and Autunno Burst. The Standard model features a compensated wraptail bridge, while the DeluxeTrem model sports a Duesenberg Les Trem II with a roller saddle bridge.

FEATURES

• chambered mahogany body w/ mahogany top
  • German carve top
  • double bound body
  • set maple neck
  • bound rosewood fingerboard
  • mother-of-pearl block inlays
  • bound peghead
  • 25” scale – 24 frets
  • 12″ fingerboard radius
  • 1.687″ nut width
  • Rivolta C+ neck profile
  • Rivolta “Novanta” P-90 pickups
  • nickel hardware
  • Kluson style tuners
  • compensated vintage wrapover bridge
  • white plexi pickguard/gold plexi on burst finish

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Interesting. A bit disappointed that some of those pictures appear to be photoshopped (the blue stoptail looks real) but the trem looks pasted on the other blue one and the bursts are clearly mockups. 

Great to see Denis' designs getting a wider exposure but it might be worth mentioning that, in some cases, these are not photos of actual guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    I read an article recently with Mike whatshisname from Eastwood where he said part of their strategy was going to be to team up with boutique builders to do far-east made instruments to their designs. I had a sneaky feeling this would be one of the first of those collaborations based on some Facebook rumblings from Dennis.

Eastwood are a bit better at design and doing interesting things than they are at factory consistency, but that said it's interesting nonetheless. If a shop takes these in and is willing to set them up and do a second round of QC then they should be a winner. A bit of a shot across the bow at Fano Standards too methinks...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    Basher said:
    Interesting. A bit disappointed that some of those pictures appear to be photoshopped (the blue stoptail looks real) but the trem looks pasted on the other blue one and the bursts are clearly mockups. 

Great to see Denis' designs getting a wider exposure but it might be worth mentioning that, in some cases, these are not photos of actual guitars.
    There have only been a couple of prototypes made so far..hence the Photoshop trem..we should have a prototype at some point in the near future for people to try
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Basher said:

Maybe for £160 you just get the PSD?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    A lot to like here, the chamber 'hog with fat-ish maple neck and P90's is a fairly ideal spec for me.

The true test for me of whether they can transcend every Chinese guitar I've ever played is if it is not over-finished. Nothing against a poly urethane finish at all (if that's what it is?) when they are don't well (I.e. thin and not over chintzy), I look forward to seeing one in the flesh.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited October 2016
    Ew they nasty! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    A lot to like here, the chamber 'hog with fat-ish maple neck and P90's is a fairly ideal spec for me.
    Fairly sure it will be a Korean built guitar, if it is a Eastwood guitar.  
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Rivolting Guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I like those a lot.

Very pleased to see 24 frets - I wish more "vintage" style designs had that.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That Rickenbacker Combo shape is really popular these days. I can only guess from the lack of litigation that Rickenbacker never protected that design.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I don't think Rivolta is a particularly apposite choice of names personally but the makers obviously think so.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    disgusting, hipster, revolting. 

if you're going to photoshop something at least make it look nice, those guitars just look horrible. I also don't like Fanos.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    It's Italian for "revolt." So no jokes are actually really possible... although they'll be made anyway I'm sure...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    hoops said:
    Rivolting Guitars
    Yeah that's the first thing that sprang to mind.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader

Crikey. I'm sure their mother loves them but they look like they're copped from the Gretsch Astro Jet, one of Gretsch's less good ideas from the Baldwin era pit of desperation.

http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/item/image/27649/1964-gretsch-astro-jet-xl.jpg?v=1463171056

• I think they look alright and I applaud someone trying to do something new in an industry that is stuck in the 50s/60s

ok it is a heavily borrow design but at least its not another strat/tele/les paul with a different headstock
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Corvus ;

It's funny how taste works, I don't like like those fanos at all but the Astro Jet is cool as a very cool thing indeed. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Indeed, it's all good, each to his own and all that, I like the bottom half but the top humpy thing looks all wrong to me though I get it's an intended cartoonish Jetsons kind of vibe.

• Here's a pic of the Rickenbacker Combo 800 which I think is where the inspiration came from:

Unless it was the Hannah Montana guitar!

:-)
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited October 2016
    I think they look alright and I applaud someone trying to do something new in an industry that is stuck in the 50s/60s

ok it is a heavily borrow design but at least its not another strat/tele/les paul with a different headstock
    Or to put it another way, why build a 50s-based design that will sell, when you can build an ugly mutha and watch it sit on the shelf forever...   ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/