FX8/AX8

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
Interested to see what you guys are using as a Carry Case/Pedalboard for your unit and 1 or 2 expression pedals

Also - can I use my EB VP Jr as just a vol pedal? Not wanting to use it as expression but all connections relating to pedals mention using a TRS cable. It's not clear if it needs to be calibrated and set in a vol block or just as global volume.

If using it live - how are you setting it up? I am looking at using sticky scenes (clean with delay/reverb/comp then crunch and lead with relevant options) and then only having a few presets to jump between - maybe some specific presets for certain songs which need a specific effect. Love the X/Y settings too - you can really have a lot at your feet with not too much dancing if you plan it out!

I know some ppl have a preset per song but that seems a lot of changes thru a set but I get the logic! We do covers tho so go from super clean to rock to almost metal (well I do :) ) and I'm interested to see how you guys have used it live.

I have had this a few weeks - devoured the manual, read all sorts of posts and prob watched every vid whole being off ill so I feel I know what I am doing with it - I went to rehearsal rooms and set it up at gigging volume too and now just have one rehearsal with a gig the weekend after, it's in a fairly large venue (packed every weekend and 5-700 ppl) so I'm gonna have to decide whether I brave it with the FX8 or use my trusty pedalboard and use the FX8 in the pub gigs till I am confident lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited October 2016
    I had it mounted on a Pedaltrain PT2 - only room for one expression pedal - or Wah in my case - I just found that having a modelled Wah just took up an effect block and to operate a Wah you needed an expression pedal...so might as well use a real Wah and save an effect block for something else!!! Never realy got into the Expression Pedal stuff with global volume, I just found it to be a pain personally and I seem to remember that if you didn't have an effect activated then the global didn't work - don't quote me on that and it could have been me or an earlier firmware?

I have recently bought from a fellow forumite a Harley Benton Spaceship - really good board which gives the Pedaltrain a run for its money - nice touch as well with adjustable rear feet so you can tilt the board to your own preference, also another nice touch with the slats being adjustable to overcome feet on pedals etc - the one I have is massive, its soft cased which is really decent quality too - not selling mine yet!! Take a look on Thomman.

As far as presets etc, I had 4 presets set up as my core tones, mainly matching delays/reverbs in all and then I had different front end effects on each preset, scenes were then set up with Clean/Crunch/More Crunch/Lead across the bottom and then whatever in and out effects I needed across the top - I had the unit set up to scroll through a bunch of presets (sorry can't remember how!!). Also, there were a few presets for specific songs where I needed a specfic sound and it was just easier to build a preset around those parts and have the scenes switching song parts etc - Message in a Bottle was one where I had the main riff on Scene 1, Bridge on Scene 2 etc etc.

Me, I braved it with the FX8 at big gigs, if you've spent the time going through the manual and familiarising yourself with the menus etc you'll be fine - the FX8 is slightly different in as much that the end sound is mainly dependent on your amp and if you've already wound it up to gigs levels and are happy with things then I don't think there's any excuse to jib out...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I use a PT3 and I'm about to move over to a PT2.

There is space for an EB volume pedal and an EB jr pedal alongside the fractal - just fits.
    I have the volume as a volume and the jr as an expression - I just connected a trs cable and calibrated it.

I tend to use sticky presets and when I want to change something hit the F3 button and have instant access to the individual effects but I haven't noticed a switching delay big enough to matter and don't like the idea of having to cram a zillion options into a preset to then use scenes. 

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've got mine on the mid sized Diago board. Fits that, a four way plug, G10 base station and two mission expression pedals (one spring loaded for wah/whammy and one for volume). The lid is a reasonably snug fit but it all seems to work well. 

I go go from the AX8 to a fryette power station and into a 1x12 cab. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited October 2016
    Thanks all - I'm still lugging mine around in the box as my Diago is not deep enough to take the FX8.
    Sticky scenes seems to work for me and as you say I can drop or add an effect as I play - I also have scenes set to revert in case I put something on then go away, come back and forget I put some mad phaser sound on
    @welshboyo the unity gain is one of the reasons I was so keen on this - had problems with volume jumps etc when I had the Kemper or POD HD - anything with modelling basically!

I have a few "safe" presets I can kick in if things go awry :) I've run some of the set with it at home so feeling quite happy I can do it live!

Aha, just worked out the scenes can be assigned to Footswitches in that window - so now top FS1-4 are 4 scenes of my Core preset and the bottom 4 are a few optional effects! So simple and even better than I had it (Sticky Scenes - possible to have FS1 set wrong and end up clicking to change scene but just turning off an effect instead lol) Thanks to @welshboyo ;
    (I think!) as I noticed it in the pic of his For Sale ad it was showing S1, S2 etc...a revelation :)
    Ok, ready to gig...
  • Have a good one pal =)
    You deserve a bit of good luck with that board!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i don't use expression pedals, the auto-wah is so good that I don't need one for what I do.

I also ditched the pedaltrain, i just use the FX8 on the deck and i carry it in a 17" laptop neo-prene sleeve which then goes into my main cable bag.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    All went well at rehearsal - I used the X/Y quite a bit and found some of the effects were set a bit strong when in the band environment - chorus and reverb being main culprits.
    Also noticed the Drive I had used on my clean (SDD preamp) as a mock EP Booster was making everything a bit muddy and dark so need to tweak that as bypassed sound was much brighter.
    Only other thing was my GEQ setting was loud enough for solo (boosting the mids) but again it was a bit dark

It's hard to set up at home really, once in the band environment you get a better idea of what is working. Also considering mirroring each preset I use but EQ'ing different depending on guitar - the TV Jones I have in my tele are way lower output than the Guthrie Charvel so need to set them up accordingly - does anyone else do that? 

Apart from these things, quite happy to gig it on Sat night 
    I've found the global reverb level useful. The verb that sounds nice in my headphones is too much for a band, so globally reducing reverb level by 50% works nicely. 

I also use the geq as a boost - just needs a bit of tweaking and I assign overall level boost to an expression pedal for a bit more control. 

For lower output guitars I tend to just use a slight boost in front. I don't waste a foot switch on it - just set a scene up for that guitar with the pre-boost on (other option is to use a scene controller on the amp gain). 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451

Got my FX8 EV-1 and CAE wah on a Castle Cases 700x300mm Pro Pedalboard. 
    Flightcase is bomb proof and has enough room for all my cables, straps, crap etc.
    It weighs a tonne though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Recorded this tonight as I had to do some tweaking for the gig after taking a few mental notes of changes at rehearsal earlier this week.

I have some nice ambient delay presets and ones with Rotary and Tremolo which sound great but this is a core preset I can use for gigs and as I get more comfortable I can start using different presets.

I really do have to stop doing these vids and aim
    lessly playing - need to play along to something lol
    1:48 is the Tubescreamer being added to the lead sound - sustains really nicely and has some nice harmonics lifting out of the notes.
    3:22 is me bypassing the FX8 altogether and just hearing the amp channel. This is just to check I am not straying too far from the amp sound.

I also think there is too much amp gain here but prob due to me switching guitars just before recording it!
    FX8 - exemplary last night - great boost for leads with GEQ and TS   I used it quite basic but lot more sounds to set up and experiment with. Need to work a bit more on getting tap tempo right for certain songs and switching between delay/reverbs but for a first night out it was good!
    kjdowd said:
    I also use the geq as a boost - just needs a bit of tweaking and I assign overall level boost to an expression pedal for a bit more control. 

For lower output guitars I tend to just use a slight boost in front. I don't waste a foot switch on it
    Ah, I like that idea - just a wee bit more control there if you need it - I did find my GEQ level fine in one gig but really loud in the next - need to get an EXP pedal but that's a good use for it :)

I also have the GEQ or SDD Preamp (EP Booster style?) on a footswitch so I can boost without changing scene if required
    I found myself doing that rather than change to my actual lead patch so may need to just do the S1/S2 toggle and free up a switch. Fun this :)
    edited October 2016
    Do any of you AX8 owners hear any dropout between XY scene or presets?

And for those of you who have come from multi channel amps, do you have any problems setting up clean & distorted tones with a single amp block? Presumably with the drive block too there's plenty of scope for clean to crunch to lead within a preset.

Basic questions I know but always good to ask!
    DavusPG said:
    Do any of you AX8 owners hear any dropout between XY scene or presets?

And for those of you who have come from multi channel amps, do you have any problems setting up clean & distorted tones with a single amp block? Presumably with the drive block too there's plenty of scope for clean to crunch to lead within a preset.

Basic questions I know but always good to ask!
    X/Y amp switching has some lag. Not much, but some. I switched from using multi channel amps, to helix with 2 amp blocks to ax8 where I just use one amp. 

Amp model of choice depends on the band. Carr Rambler with a drive block for the more polite originals band and a Suhr Badger 18 for the rockier covers bands. With the badger, I either use scene controllers to change gain levels (and output levels) between scenes or use a drive block and the guitar volume. If the amp model stays the same, scene and x/y switching is seamless. 
  • XY amp switching also has some lag on the Axe FX 2, but can be negated due to 2 amp blocks being available.  Switching between 2 separate amp blocks on the Axe FX 2 has no audible dropout that I can hear
    Just to keep the FX8 chat in one place.

I got a Dunlop vol/exp pedal and it's great but I see now why it is best to have 2 pedals for the FX8/AX8

Anyway - got it working and only got it plugged in using EXP option just now so using Vol Block on the FX8. There's a lot of noise on gain channel even with guitar vol off (but vol pedal up full). I have the preset as 3/5 and the Vol is position 3. I used to have my actual vol pedal first in my chain so it would be like rolling guitar volume back but now it is just rolling overall volume but not affecting gain. Delay trails keep going tho which is good.

Why am I getting so much noise and should I put it before the drive (i.e 1st in the chain) or after the amp as if it was in the loop?
    edited December 2016
    New firmware has all the drive pedals overhauled and the 5.01 has added the Timmy! I updated but got a gig NYE so not messing about with it till after that. Anyone tried the new drives?
    No, I saw the update but not had time.  Not updated my firmware for about 10 months so should be a real treat when I do...Hopefully this weekend. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I'm thinking of getting one of these for lugging it around.  Was contemplating the pedal board route but tbh its going to take under a minute to plug in a couple of expression pedals and just have them floor mounted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0055OIJ86/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19QGAQACHTRBP