Foldable travel acoustic guitars

What's Hot
vandexa2vandexa2 Frets: 1
edited October 2016 in Guitar
Hi, I keep travelling lately, going to weddings and things. I often spend a lot of time sitting around, looking for something to do. I thought it would be perfect if I could take my guitar along to practice with (I'm a beginner). However, usually the guitar is too big to carry. I have seen there's such a thing as foldable guitars ringtones. Does anyone have any experience with this? What would you recommend? I literally just want something to practice with.

I did a quick Google search and found one called a (modmin edit to remove possible spam ad)

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited October 2016
    Call me mad, call me crazy, but flagged for spam.

Your cheapo travel guitar is pretty ugly, incidentally. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd suggest a Guitalele would be a better option. Small enough to take on a plane as hand luggage & uses the same chord shapes as a full sized guitar. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Maybe I've been unlucky but I've never picked up a travel guitar that I haven't wanted to put down after 10 seconds.
  • KKJale said:
    Call me mad, call me crazy, but flagged for spam.

Your cheapo travel guitar is pretty ugly, incidentally. 
    What a friendly welcome to the forum! 
    What makes you think this is spam target than a genuine enquiry by a new member? 
  • I know a guy who travels the US and the world with a Voyager Travel-Air guitar. I have played it and it is pretty good! Full scale length, loud enough for jams and busking, etc. It's not tiny, but it comes with a carry-on gigbag.

I know another guy with a Traveler guitar. I haven't played it but it sounds decent plugged in. Not foldable though.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    edited October 2016

What makes you think this is spam target than a genuine enquiry by a new member? 
    That's a very fair question. This, from a first-time poster, for one...

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f68/foldable-travel-acoustic-guitars-292410.html

And this equally identical cross-post from 2 months ago, again from a first-time poster who dropped it and vanished...

http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?p=628881

That, to me, indicates a funny-shaped tin containing a reconstituted meat product  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJale said:

That's a very fair question. This, from a first-time poster, for one...

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f68/foldable-travel-acoustic-guitars-292410.html

And this equally identical cross-post from 2 months ago, again from a first-time poster who dropped it and vanished...

http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?p=628881

That, to me, indicates a funny-shaped tin containing a reconstituted meat product  
    Can't argue with that! Wisdom awarded. 

It's an interesting question though: what's the preferred instrument choice for the guitarist on the move? 
    i know a few people who use a tele & unbolt the neck so it fits in a bag easily. 
    I have a mandolin & hard case which I use when I'm travelling, it's been on planes as hand luggage with no problem several times. 
    I use a Tacoma Papoose, like this* (*this isn't me)... tuned A-A... sounds fab, and the neck unbolts too.

If I need a bit of plucking action when travelling I take my tenor banjo with me.
    Drives my fellow train passengers mad.
    Recently, I was looking for a great all rounder musician who was both, a wonderful human being and extremely handsome.
    When I googled it, all I could come up with was: Sassafras.
    Any advice?

Available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and corporate functions of all kinds.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sassafras said:
    Recently, I was looking for a great all rounder musician who was both, a wonderful human being and extremely handsome.
    When I googled it, all I could come up with was: Sassafras.
    Any advice?
    Advice? Get a new search engine. ;)
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I've not played one of these but keep meaning to.  Maybe I'm just a Furch fanboy (and very happy owner), but I'd be surprised if they made a guitar that wasn't good.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Slightly disturbing name.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    I have a Voyage Air OM model, and it's one of my main gigging acoustics. The neck joint is very solid and it's just as stable as any other guitar I've played.

I also have a Brunner Outdoor Guitar (smaller, with detachable neck). That's a great instrument too and potentially available if you're interested.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here